Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft .NET Framework

• Please log in to reply

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I have Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 and IE 6, SP2

I did a search for this but kept getting error messages.

In the custom button on Winowws update I have the below to download. Do I download them all, or can I just do Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416)?
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416)
Download size: 50.8 MB , 21 minutes
The Microsoft NET Framework 3.0 is the managed code programming model for Windows. Version 3.0 enhances version 2.0 with new technologies for building applications with visually compelling user experiences, seamless communication across technology boundaries, and the ability to support a wide range of business processes.

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)
Download size: 22.4 MB , 9 minutes
The .NET Framework version 2.0 improves scalability and performance with improved caching, application deployment and updating with ClickOnce, and support for the broadest array of browsers and devices with ASP.NET 2.0 controls and services.

Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

I am not even sure if I need the Framework, as do not understand what it does. :whistling:

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
NET. Framework is an environment designed by Microsoft to be used in place of other programming languages. Some few applications do make use of the framework and it is required for them to function in XP. So far I have not discovered the need. I am not planning to develop any programs myself, and have found alternatives for those applications which want the .NET installed. It is possible that your requirements may differ, but I don't think that it is required for the ordinary home user.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
.net framework is needed for some programs to work, but not all of them, and if they need it they will tell you to install it. Anyway if you want ot install it, install both 2.0 and 1.1 coz they are not compatible. Don't install 3.0 because it's just a beta version.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. I will install 2.0 and 1.1. But I do not understand when you said they are not compatible. Does that mean they are each different, and will not conflict with each other?

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
All right. Thanks much. So will not install them unless I get a messsage at some time that I need to.

NET. Framework is an environment designed by Microsoft to be used in place of other programming languages. Some few applications do make use of the framework and it is required for them to function in XP. So far I have not discovered the need. I am not planning to develop any programs myself, and have found alternatives for those applications which want the .NET installed. It is possible that your requirements may differ, but I don't think that it is required for the ordinary home user.