Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

media center

• Please log in to reply

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
is media center a better option than just xp home? i was thinking about upgrading to vista but i decided im going to wait until SP1 or manufacturers get their act together and make drivers that support vista and i build myself a better rig. my rig is old.

asus a7n8x deluxe mobo
amd athlon xp 2400+
1gb ddr ????i dont remember the speed
radeon 9800 pro 128mb

anyway, should i go with media center or stick with xp home?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ca$ino...

Actually, things are pretty well squared away with Vista. I haven't had any problems finding drivers for any of the machines I've installed it on. In your case, however, you'd need another gig of RAM and a new video card (256MB) to get the full benefit of the Aero interface.

XP MCE is really not much more than a gussied up version of XP Pro. It's pretty and has some cool features, but is not really worth the money to upgrade IMHO. I'd stick with what you have until you are able to upgrade to Vista...when/if you do, go with Ultimate or Home Premium.

wannabe1

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
thanks for the quick reply. when i do make the jump to vista it will be home premium. the reason i ask about media center is for the xbox 360 integration but i guess xp home does the same things with the program provided by MS.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can get by until you can install Vista, the XBox will be all that much more impressive...especially with the hotter video card. The video card now installed really doesn't have the RAM for some of the more intense graphics rendering.

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
alright. thanks