Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel PROSet Wireless

• Please log in to reply

James Morris

James Morris

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to this web site. So hello everyone. I am in need of some help with my Intel PROSet Wireless software. It will not stay connected woth our wireless network in the house. I want to switch to using Windows to manage my connections. I have gone into the Intel PROSet Wireless managment window, clicked on Advanced. Then I clicked on Use Windows to Manage WI-FI F10. Then I open the Windows wireless connection window. I click on Advanced settings, then click on wireless settings. I then tick the box Use Windows to manage my wireless connections. Then my problem is that the Intel PROSet Wireless software cancels all of that and starts up again. Then the Windows manager will not connect. So the Intel software is dominating everything else. I want to use Window specificaly cause I am tired of the Intel software. Can anyone help me with this please? Thank you.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
disable the Intel Wireless management software to prevent it from over-riding the Windows XP one.

you should be able to do this from the Microsoft Configuration Editor:
Start->Run
Type MSCONFIG and click OK
Click the 'startup' tab.
Untick the entry for Intel Wireless (not sure of the exact wording here as I don't have it)
Click OK to save changes
Reboot

Upon restart, a box will pop up. Just tick for "Don't remind me next time Windows starts" and click OK.
you won't get the box popping up any more.

be aware, however, that the built-in windows wireless configuration applet only handles WEP security encryption, not the more secure WPA encryption.

Edited by pip22, 10 March 2007 - 02:08 PM.