Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card Fan

• Please log in to reply

Courier

Courier

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My Graphics Card fan is extremely loud. It will rev up, then start making a whizzing sound every ~5-10 minutes. It will temporarily stop, then start right back up again. At first I thought it might be the Power Supply or Power Supply fan, so I bought a new case with a power supply but the sound returned. Once the sound starts, if I stop the Graphics Card fan, the sound goes away, so it must be the one causing the problem.

The card is a Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP.

What I'm wondering is, can I take the fan off the card, or should I buy a new fan? I've looked on the internet, and the fans run for about $25 bucks, and that seems like a lot for such an old video card. I'd like to buy a new Graphics Card, but my motherboard doesn't have a PCI Express slot on it.

Should I take the fan off? My system stays pretty cool, the highest I've gotten it during a computer game is 43º Celsius, so would removing the fan be okay? Or should I buy a new fan? Or just replace the card?

Edited by Courier, 10 March 2007 - 10:54 AM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
That spinning up and spinning down is likely to be spinning faster when the card gets hotter, and lowering down when it gets cooler. A new fan does look like the only option if this is the case...