Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hijackthis wont work

• Please log in to reply

Shady

Shady

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
i run Vista Home Premium. when i run spybot, it finds probably 20 adware/malware programs. even though i click "FIX" it still pops up every week when i run the scan. so i go download hijackthis and installs/loads fine. however, when i do the scan and have it save a log.... i get errors. then when i try to save a *.log file, its just a blank notepad. is Vista not compatible (yet) with hijackthis? i've asked this in a few other forums, but nobody responded. any help would be appreciated cause im tired of going from 29 processes in XP to 48 with Vista. thanks in advance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i just ran the scan and got the above errors but this time a log file was able to be shown and saved. either way, why am i getting these errors?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
These errors are caused by the enhanced security of Vista.

In any case, Hijack isn't really the best program to use if you want to slim down Vista as it ignores everything process-wise that comes with Windows.

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
i wasn't trying to use hijack to get rid of programs, just the spyware. what would be a good program to use to kill some un-needed programs?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Shady,

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

To get hijackthis and spybot to work you will need to grant each application admin rights.
Right-click an EXE or its shortcut and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
thank you sir, will do!