Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to go bold.

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hope I can get some advice from somebody.
I know how to make the text larger.
But how do I make the text go bold in Windows XP Pro, SP2?
I'd like to do this so that I could read easier.
Thanks in advance for any help.
J.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can make up a style sheet .css file, that tells the text to be bold.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Disregard Tyger's suggestion that has to do with web programming...

Hmm well if you already know how to change the size of the text, you're already in the near-right place. Instead of doing the "Font Size" box, go into the advanced button, and select the different items in the text dropdown box. there is a nice little bold button beside it, so you can select anything in those menus that has text, and put it to bold.

Good luck :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

You can make up a style sheet .css file, that tells the text to be bold.

Tyger is somewhat correct, but answer wasn't complete. You do need to make a simple style sheet and use it for IE. See Tools/Internet Options/General tab. At the bottom are several buttons. If you click on Accessibility button you can see where it has a check box for "Format documents using my stylesheet". Once that is check, you can then browse to your stylesheet which has been previously set up to use bold, font size, color, etc..

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 11 March 2007 - 04:49 PM.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I understand what you have told me about going into properties but I have an ATI control panel and can't get past it.
I can't find a way to get into the section I need to make the needed changes.
J.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok, instead of going into the ATI control panel, you will do the following. Keep in mind that the ATI control panel is but a gussied up version of options that the driver already has available, and certain thigns that cant be changed in the window control panels because they are proprietary features. Therefore the windows controls and the ATI work together, there is no "dominant" control panel.

Right click on the desktop | Properties | Appearance tab

At this point, you have returned to the screen that I was talking about earlyer. From here, you will find the "Advanced" button I spoke of.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
When I right click on the empty space on my desktop, I go to a box that 'Display Properties'.
There are no appearance labels to go with.
It's just for the themes.
No other options are there.
That's my problem.
I know there are more options, but I can no longer find them. If I go through the Control Panel I wind up in the same place..
Thanks.
J.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm pretty busy right now but in a while I'll see if I can write a .css file that will make the fonts on IE bold for you and maybe let you adjust the text size to what you like.

You can go into Accesibility in Internet options and tell IE to ignore font sizes and styles on web pages. You can also choose a much more visible font such as Tahoma or Verdana instead of the terrible Times New Roman that microsoft uses as default.

Edited by Tyger, 11 March 2007 - 09:59 PM.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Tyger,
Thanks for the offer but I'm trying to make the cahnge to Windows. IE7, Opera and Firefox each have their own simple way of enlarging the text.
But I'm having trouble with the rest of Windows, such as office documents.
I think I'll just keep working on my new (first time) build and stay away from ATI.
J.