Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fan noise

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i just installed a NEW FAN in my compaq to try and get rid of a fan noise. when ever my fan starts running my computer starts making a whinning noise. i thought it iwas my fan. i tried the bios update thing and when i am in bios the fan runs normal and quiet however when i am on line using my computer the fan makes a whinning noise and doesnt seem to run that fast. i am wondering if this a programing issue. does anyone have any advice

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
How are ya 40vern?

Well first off, compaq's fans seem to do that as a friend of mine complains of the same symptoms.

We can first check by running Speedfan from here.

Take a screen shot of the program in action and post the screen shot here.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thanks for the information. i downloaded the program however i am having a little trouble copying it to post it. i will see what i can do. thanks again.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i dont know how to copy the fan speed and post it hear but it is saying that the HDO:44c and the Temp 54c i dont know if this is good or bad.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
when its open press the button:print scrn/sysrq" on the keyboard. then open paint, click "file" "paste", then upload it to imageshack or photobucket and post the image code link here :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
If that does not work, when you have the program open, press ALT + PRINTSCREEN

Then open paint and save the file. Than upload with one of your picture uploading programs or use geeks to go uploader.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
no luch posting but it sais found toshiba mk 4025gas(40c) and found acpi temp. (60c) sory for not being to past this chart. not to good with computers on something like this.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
For the fan, is this a case fan or a processor fan?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
it is the fan that came inside the fan. i only have one. if course i did not know this until i read the manual when i replaced the fan. but i am not sure what you would call this fan though, as you can tell i am not very good with computers however i was able to take the computer all apart to replace the fan with the book.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
So you can understand, was the fan over a big shiny metal thing (which is called a heatsink) that is attached to the motherboard?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
this is true i replaced both on them.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Did you add nice thermal paste to the processor? I think that is causing the whole issue here.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
honestly i did not know anything about this. i was wondering if 57c is this considered hot for a notebook?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
The reason for that is because after awhile, thermal paste on a processor dries out and causes the processor to be more intensively hot and puts a lot of stress on the fan to keep it nice and cool. Try taking off the heatsink and processor , and apply nice fresh thermal paste to it.