Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

added RAM not recognized

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I searched the forum for for an answer to my problem but nothing helped so.....

I added a 1GB DDR PC2700 333Mhz chip to an existing 2 512MB DDR PC2700 333Mhz chips, but it is not being recognized by the computer. I have 3 slots and the 512MB chips are closest to the CPU. The Everest utility only shows 1GB of RAM, plug'n'play is enabled if that makes a difference. It feels and looks like the chip is well seated. All chips by the same company, PNY. The MB manual says 128MB to 1GB chip can be used in any combination and does not specify any order.

The computer seemed to work OK but when I booted up after super the boot stalled at the point you hit DElL to go to the setup screen. The date and time were incorrect and I had to change them.

Any ideas?
Should I reseat the chip or maybe move the 1GB chip to the first slot?

Edited by richocki, 10 March 2007 - 07:57 PM.

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What motherboard are you using?

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi cmw2010

It's an Elite Group ECS N2U400-A with a nForce 2 chipset (Duel Channel). It supports DDR266/DDR333 and DDR400 memory modules. As my post states I have 3 DDR333 modules - my 2 512MB (orginal) and the new 1GB.

Edited by richocki, 10 March 2007 - 09:06 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What does Everest have for Computer / DMI / Memory controller / maximum memory / memory slots

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Not sure what you are asking Keith --- Everest says the memory controller type is Duel Channel (128bit). I don't see where Everest says anything about max memory but my MB manual says it is 3GB. I have 3 slots A0, A1 and A2. Everest says A1 & A2 have 512MB installed and A0 is empty.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The largest stick goes in slot one

Try it with just the new stick

[attachment=13365:Screensh...04_15_45.jpg]

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
From Everest ----

Field Value
Memory Controller Properties
Error Detection Method 8-bit Parity
Error Correction None
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns
Supported Memory Types SPM, EDO
Supported Memory Voltages 5V
Maximum Memory Module Size 32 MB
Memory Slots 3

Why does it only say 32MB for module size? I also expected to see SDRAM in there for memory types!
I went to crucial.com and ran their "let us check your computer" feature and it came back saying my MB max memory can only be 1572864MB. My MB manual says 3GB! I think I'll try using the 1GB and a 512MB and see what happens. What slots should I use A1&2 or A0&1?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install them as you had them with the 2 - 512 except the 1GB goes in the first slot

E-mail tech support for your motherboard to get the correct information about the amount of memory, and check with them for chipset limitations

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Problem solved.... I moved the 1GB to slot A1 and the 512MB module to A0. Now I don't know if that is the way it should be or it was a matter of seating the 1GB module better then I thought it was originally. I could change them back and see ....... no I guess I'll leave well enough alone :blink:

Thanks for all the help - you guys rock :help:

But....! Now I have no sound.... investigating :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it since you opened the case, check the soundcard hasn't shifted or lost a connecting wire

Re-install the soundcard software

Advertisements

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Well Keith it's not as straight forward as one might think. As a mater of fact I have been confused about my sound device since i have had this computer - 3 years now.

I had the computer built and they where suppose to put in a Sound Blaster Live! card. What shows up in the Device Manager is C-Media AC97 Audio Device. In the past 3 years I have had to take it back to the "shop" twice for BSOD problems and both times I mention my sound card concern - not seeing SB Live as a sound card. There is a SB card in the machine and I have one shared .dll in a Creative folder but that is as close as I can get to having SB Live! The sound has been ok so I haven't worried about it TO much but now with NO sound it is bothering me again. There is always something.....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get the software CD for the card

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Yes I have the CD.
I found in a folder named Driver in the root directory of C:\ a file named LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe. The date on the folder is the last time I had the computer in for the BSOD, Aug 19th 06. He, the computer tech, must download from the internet the drivers to put my computer back in service. I remember he had to reformat the HD last time. I just ran that program but it comes up with "can't find a Sound Blaster card..." or something like that. But I know it's a Sound Blaster card in there. Tomorrow I will remove and reseat it and see what happens. The C-Media in Device Manager is listed as "Operating correctly". Should I run the SB Live CD install first to see what happens? Oh curse you Bill Gates - :whistling:

STOP: I just ran setup from the CD and got the Setup could not find a Sound Blaster card on the computer. Tomorrow I yank it and reinstall it!

Edited by richocki, 11 March 2007 - 02:04 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it in device manager

Did the Tech set BIOS defaults which uses onboard sound?

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Good day Keith,
I am not sure. I guess that would be in setup (DEL key when booting)? I'll have to reboot and see what I can find in there.

Ok, it gets more confusing , at least for me.... bare with me here, I tried to reinstall the C-Media set up that the tech left in the drivers folder after he last worked on my computer. The setup program gets to 94% and says "waiting for audio drivers to be ready". I have to EXIT out of the setup after a long "wait". Then I start to think... dangerous most of the time for me but this time it paid off - some what. I unplug my headphones from the Sound Blaster card, where they have been for so so long, and plug them into the motherboard sound connections on the back of the computer and it works. I should be happy but I don't understand why this is working the the sound card does not. Should I leave well enough alone (I probably won't you know) or do I mess around with it to get the sound card working again? Could there be something in the BIOS setup that would get me back to "normal"?

Edited by richocki, 11 March 2007 - 02:26 PM.