Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

notebook shutting itself down

• Please log in to reply

Robleh

Robleh

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, my Acer travelmate 2420 (windows xp sp2) shuts itself down regularily lately while im working. And when i reboot it, at the welcome screen, i get a message that says something like: "One of your discs needs to be checked for consistency" and then there's a percentage loading, after what my computer loads itself correctly. I noticed it only happens when the power is plugged in. I did a little digging around the net and read about all kinds of things like the computer overheating, the HD being damaged and even the cooling fan being broken. Does anyone have an idea what causes this. please any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Robleh, First of all do you here the fan ever come on?
if you don't ever hear it run then I would take it in for repair.
and stop useing it now!, if its working try this next.
Next try this Check for Dirty Drive
To check for a Dirty Bit, first. Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and
click "Ok". At the command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c:
then hit enter
(This queries the drive and will tell you if it is dirty).
if it say yes do this
Start, my computer, open, click on Local Disk (C:) ,
Right click, click on properties, click on tools, and pick this
Option will check the volume for errors, click check now,
Now put a check in the boxes (automatically fix file
System errors and scan for and attempt recovery of
Bad sectors, hit Start and a note will come up and saying
that it canít do a scan because there are system files in
use but can do a check disk on next boot up, tell it ok.
This will take about an hour or so!
Make sure you let it run till itís done!

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If it's shutting off unexpectedly, you should see the disk consistency message because it wasn't shut down properly. Check the fan activity per Dwight's post and get it fixed if necessary. You can also use this utility to check your temp.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Robleh

Robleh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok so i checked for dirt in both discs, C: and D: it said there wasn't any, which makes sense because i only got the computer in october 2006. I also checked the disc for for errors. Nothing. Ok, this may be a newbie's notice but is it normal that the fan is on the bottom part of the computer? Speaking of which, i think my fan is working. My theory is that my computer overheats when the power is plugged in, so it turns itself to avoid damage, and when it reboots, it checks if the hard drive is not damaged. Does sound possible? Is there any way to fix it?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
"My theory is that my computer overheats when the power is plugged in, so it turns itself to avoid damage, and when it reboots, it checks if the hard drive is not damaged. Does sound possible? Is there any way to fix it? "

I agree with your theory.

It sounds like it's overheating and shutting off to protect itself. When it starts up, it sees that it wasn't shutdown properly and runs the disk check. This is checking for data corruption, not physical drive damage. The disk check sounds normal given the situation. It's doing what it should.

There should be an exhaust vent on the laptop. I'm guessing that it sucks air in through the vent where you see the fan and blows it out of another vent. Put your ear up to the exhaust and you should be able to hear the fan and feel warm air on your ear. Behave yourself.

Are you using this on a hard surface? Don't put it on a blanket or pillow.

Alot of times dust will build up in between the fan and the heatsink and the airflow will be restricted causing exactly the symptom you are describing. You may or may not be able to blow it out with "canned air". Sometimes the laptop has to be disassembled to access the debris properly.