Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU performance low

• Please log in to reply

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
hullo...for a while now i feel my processor is not giving me full performance...with 2GB RAM and 2.8Ghz Dual Core i can surf the net and use Photoshop CS2 and open file n folders with no detoration in performance right? but i cant....my photoshop takes ages to open and so does other work...also does a rendering of a web page depend upon RAM or processor? because my web pages too take ages to render...i use firefox for browsing...i might also add that i think the computer slows down only when i use firefox...but i may be wrong its just a hunch...please help me here

i checked my task manager when the computer became extremely slow and the ram was jus showin 40% use while the CPU was 100%
a process called "guard.exe" hogs up the CPU....heres a screenshot of it...the usage become around 90 some times and things become really slow!
!
Posted Image

Advertisements

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
help me out here guys :whistling:

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Try scanning for Virus and Spyware.

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
done that...for the record...i use Mcafee Total Protection 2007 , AVG Anti-Spyware , Spybot S&D n Spyware Blaster

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try disabling AVG anti spyware and see if it helps ...it might not be playing nice with guard.exe...
guard.exe is a process belonging to Phoenix Technologies and is part of Core Managed Environment (cME) Integration and Certification program. This process should not be removed to ensure that your system is secure.
no help...try reversing it by leaving AVG anti spyware running and in start up uncheck guard.exe so it doesn't startup with windows

Edited by happyrck, 13 March 2007 - 04:22 PM.