Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect PC to TV

• Please log in to reply

akeem

akeem

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Dont know if this is correct section, but how do i connect my pc to the tv?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you want to view movies or such with your tv that you are running on the computer you just have to get an add on card for that. You can also get add on cards that convert the tv video to digital format or do both.

akeem

akeem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
i have connected my s-video cable to the tv but nothing happening

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Under Display Settings, there should be something to do with 2 monitors (Tv will be the second monitor most likely)

You will need to enable your computer to run with 2 monitors

SpuD

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Under Display Settings, there should be something to do with 2 monitors (Tv will be the second monitor most likely)

SpuD

That doesn't come without problems.

I was running a piece of software called tv-tool to do just this, and for a while it worked fine.

Then it stopped working, and managed to configure itself so that the ONLY video output from the pc was what you could see on the tv.

The pc monitor was blank.

This was a bit of a problem as the pc wasn't in the same room so I had to get another person to sit in front of the tv yelling right, left, up down, stop!!! in order for me to shut down the pc and reboot - so be warned!!!!!

There was a time whehn simply connecting a s-vhs cable between the 2 would work, without any software, but alas, this option doesn't work either now.

I don't know why it suddenly stopped - could be the cable, graphics card, or the tv port.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

SpuD

I was running a piece of software called tv-tool to do just this, and for a while it worked fine.

Then it stopped working, and managed to configure itself so that the ONLY video output from the pc was what you could see on the tv.

This was a bit of a problem as the pc wasn't in the same room so I had to get another person to sit in front of the tv yelling right, left, up down, stop!!! in order for me to shut down the pc and reboot - so be warned!!!!!

There was a time whehn simply connecting a s-vhs cable between the 2 would work, without any software, but alas, this option doesn't work either now.

I don't know why it suddenly stopped - could be the cable, graphics card, or the tv port.

Good chance all you need to do is have the computer off, plug in the cable, then turn the computer back on and it will automatically detect the other monitor and use it. At least this is usually the case for me. If not, then right click on your desktop and select Properties. Go to the Settings tab. There should be a box with a 1 in it and a box with a 2 in it. Based on your computer specs, you will probably be able to do a few different things here. Just click on the box with the 2, and look at the different options. Obviously you want to enable the second display. Also, you can either duplicate the screen, meaning you see the same thing on both screens. Or you can extend your desktop onto the second screen, meaning you will pretty much have 2 desktops (the second desktop will be a little bit lacking compared to the first desktop). If you extend the desktop, then to get to the other desktop just move your mouse off the screen to the right.

As far as extra software, you shouldn't need any. In my opinion, extra software would just get in the way and cause undesirable effects, like the previous poster seemed to have trouble with.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

SpuD

Good chance all you need to do is have the computer off, plug in the cable, then turn the computer back on and it will automatically detect the other monitor and use it. At least this is usually the case for me. If not, then right click on your desktop and select Properties. Go to the Settings tab. There should be a box with a 1 in it and a box with a 2 in it. Based on your computer specs, you will probably be able to do a few different things here. Just click on the box with the 2, and look at the different options. Obviously you want to enable the second display. Also, you can either duplicate the screen, meaning you see the same thing on both screens. Or you can extend your desktop onto the second screen, meaning you will pretty much have 2 desktops (the second desktop will be a little bit lacking compared to the first desktop). If you extend the desktop, then to get to the other desktop just move your mouse off the screen to the right.

As far as extra software, you shouldn't need any. In my opinion, extra software would just get in the way and cause undesirable effects, like the previous poster seemed to have trouble with.

Yes mine to also auto connects wth any 2 monitors plugin without installing any other software...

LOL, :)

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Thanks Granz00 & Spud :)