Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

explorer restarting all the time

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there,

a problem has just arisen on my PC, every time that i try to sort out some of my files, i.e, put them in different folders or copy them, it says that explorer has caused an error, and needs to be shut down. it says Data Execution Prevention, to help protect your computer, windows has closed this programme. but if i just move that window out of the way and dont press close, i can still use my computer fine. i cant think of any reason why this would happen, could someone please help me,
many many thanks

Edited by fortuitous, 11 March 2007 - 07:19 AM.

Advertisements

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
I had the same explorer.exe problem until I tried and ran the tuneup utilities xp 2007.
It is free for a one month evaluation.

http://www.tune-up.c...neup-utilities/

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
cheers buddy, i used to have that programme, ie forgotten all a about it, many thanks

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, ive ran all the maintenance things with tune up, but the problem still occurs, any more ideas?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Moving and copying files/folders is a resource demanding task for explorer. Is it possible that your pattern of usage is asking too much of explorer already? What other tasks is explorer being asked to maintain full time? Does this problem manifest when no other windows/activities are open/ongoing- when the file work is the only task?

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, it will do it all the time, even with nothing running, i also noticed it happens when i open and just browse the folders, it seems to be any time its open. also i tried opening a video file then quickly closing the window, but still around 30 seconds l8r i get the dreaded message, any ides would be much appreciated, many thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you get the message when you take the longer route to files (my computer > drive > etc)?

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
yeh, but it dosent happen all the time??

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
i have noticed, i think that it only does it when media player is running, many thanks