Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Occasional Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

wveersfan

wveersfan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Toshiba M45 Series laptop. Here is a list of my sound program entries via "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager:

-Audio Codecs
-Legacy Audio Drivers
-Legacy Video Capture Drivers
-Media Control Devices
-Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio
-Video Codecs

When I boot up and try to use a video or audio file, I get an error message that there is no sound available (that is a paraphrase of the error message).

I have tried many things but the 1 thing that works 100% of the time to allow me to have sound is to UNINSTALL the "Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio" device and reboot. It is the only one of the list above that will allow me to uninstall it. Upon rebooting, it sees the "new" component and offers to install the software for it (which, it should be noted, reads that it is NOT authorized for XP and asks me to cancel or continue anyway......I continue anyway).

After all of this, Everything works fine. But, what a P.I.T.A. to repeat these steps each time I use my pc.

I have added WMP 11, Nero 7 Ultimate, some codecs (mainly required for Nero) and a couple of video file conversion programs in the recent future and it seems like maybe Nero may be the problem by overriding my preinstalled Soundmax system. That's my guess, anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

Advertisements