Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does improving the bit rate in MP3's really do anything?

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I was always under the impression that if for example you had a MP3 file which has been encoded at say 128 bits and you increase it to say 320 or 256 (using Audio Alchemy for e.g) then you are in effect improving the sound quality markedly, but I read somewhere in a throwaway line in one of the PC mags that it doesn't do anything for the quality of the MP3 apart from making the file bigger?

If this is actually correct does it just apply to tracks which have already been encoded or would it make a big differance if you were converting to MP3 for the first time from an actual CD etc

Thanks in advance

Rob

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Essentially true

It would make a difference if you were doing the initial conversion to mp3

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks Keith but it does beg the question what programs like Audio Alchemy are actually for then, I use Record Now Deluxe to rip my CD's and always use 320 max as the bit rate but have been using Audio Alchemy to ' Up the Ante ' on the MP3's I have already got which are currently 128.

Seems like a waste of a good program if it doesn't make any differance.

Rob