Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fan RPM's

• Please log in to reply

wfelter2000

wfelter2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks Jack, I'll try that as soon as I dig myself out of all this snow. We got over a foot so far and expecting more. 18" to 24" :whistling:

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
1 thing to throw out here, how much thermal paste did you put on? too much and it will cause overheat, too little is the same

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07-wfelter2000-[Low Fan speed]St Patrick’s Day-2007

1 thing to throw out here, how much thermal paste did you put on? too much and it will cause overheat, too little is the same

AnthonyJ – That’s a good point – I thought that I mentioned that issue, but after reviewing the thread – I see that I just briefly alluded to this issue, with the following question, and did not follow up. [Explanation follows]

13. Is this a stock PC – Taken from a Box 0r is it a – Build your own – How was CPU Installed on Motherboard – by Manufacturer or someone else –This is a big factor –

The reply to the questions added complexity to the thread, by answering with more issues. They will be addressed later, along with the CPU Installation. Just working with question on Fan Speed for now.

When I first put the machine together and installed XP Home Windows only recognized 137 gig out of a 250 HDD so I tried to do a clean install again. Part way thru the alarm went off. I think it was set to 75*( how do u get the degree symbol?) I ended up powering down-off button- as I didn't want to screw up the computer. Did I do right or wrong? Windows still only see's 137 gigs out of 250. It will let me use the remaining unused portion as D drive but I wanted to use the whole drive

I was keeping this thread focused on Fan RPM Issue per posting guidelines of – Geeks to Go– I intended to give possible causes for each of the new questions and direct new threads to be posted in proper forum – But after the Fan RPM issue was resolved -

Now may be a good opportunity to explain why I elected to stay with the Fan RPM issue -

You are probably correct with the – the paste application being the root cause – of the high temperatures. This issue should be handled better, with a proper question in the – System Building & Upgrading Forum – The [hard drive issue] could be either Hardware or System Building – Both Forums overlap – That is why they are sub-forums under HARDWARE -

This thread has 2 separate, issues related to temperature – Proper CPU Installation and CPU Cooling – By selecting or staying with the question asked – We will be able to see a truer impact each has on CPU Temperature control.

The fan picked in this case, does not offer the best cooling – It is designed with having a perfect CPU Installation, and does not allow for any system degrading or system upgrading, which have temperature impact. The poster noted that the CPU Fan was not rotating very fast – and here is my observance of the data given.

Ok – Here is the data with a math viewpoint –
The temperature rise from 54°C to 74°C is 20°C, which is 37% increase from idle –
Fan speed rose from 1753 rpm to 1880 rpm, which is 127 RPM or 7Ό % – rise in cooling
2050 rpm was a rise of 297 rpm or 17% – rise in cooling

This is a good baseline to see how fan speed has in temperature control – The poster wanted to keep the present installed fan and improve its speed. It is just easier to say then actually accomplishing the act. This is also an opportunity to work with the poster- to gain confidence of working with his/her computer, by doing more simpler & safer tasks in the beginning, and also to establish a work plan. Then it should be easier & more comfortable for the Poster to tackle the CPU Installation process.

Another factor to consider - There are a many viewers of this thread that can gain knowledge from this exercise. We try to give explanations of the solution more than just fixing the problem – I think there are lessons to learn about fans & fan selection.

AnthonyJ - Thanks again for the reminder – and your participation is greatly welcomed – This presented an opportunity to explain my methods & direction. Hopefully, we get this fan to speed up and get some temperature relief, so we can see some effects of proper cooling – It probably will not be the – root cause – of the problem – but it should give some relief – and give some data on Fan Speed vs Cooling .

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 18 March 2007 - 06:43 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The problem with the link was a bracket on the end, i removed it read the article,

its performance was downright dreadful

from that article your temps dont look far off normal seems it just sucks as a HSF the maximumpc guys were getting a 67 degree load not far off yours changing the speed of the fan i think will be futile and its noise output seems very high, i think the best course of action is actually to replace it with a better HSF because even its normal temps when/if you got it rpms up are still unacceptable to me at least anything above 50 is too high.

wfelter2000

wfelter2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Jack, wired the fan the way you told me. Now at an idle, nothing running, after about 1/2 hour the temp was 50* Celsius and RPM's 3375. No control of RPM's with FanSpeed. Online the temp is 52-53* Celsius. The RPM's seem to fluctuate from 3375 to 3245. I played Unreal Tournament for about five minutes, a few intensive maps, hit the windows key to go back to my desktop and check the temp- it was 65-66* Celsius and the fan speed was the same( 3375-3245) The temp dropped back to 53 while online. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but that snow storm dropped 24" on us. Whew! :whistling: Oh- and the noise ain't bad.

Edited by wfelter2000, 19 March 2007 - 02:39 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
08-wfelter2000-[Low Fan speed]-19th MAR-2007

Now at an idle, nothing running, after about 1/2 hour the temp was 50* Celsius and RPM's 3375.No control of RPM's with FanSpeed. Online the temp is 52-53* Celsius.

That is what you wired the fan to. Connecting the PWM-Sense to +12V would give maximum speed with minimum speed control. That is ok – A lot of users have their fans at maximum speed all the time. It is just that, ideally, the temperature should remain constant, while the fan increases. The better heat transfer that is acquired, during CPU installation, the smaller the temperature rise will be, within the speed range of the fan.

Now the noise is up to the user. You say its not bad. The noise will depend on – ”ambient noise” – size of the room – amount of furniture in the room – balance of fan – air turbulence – case insulation – air resistance. As the heat sink becomes clogged with dust – this will cause the fan noise to increase.

Also you have to leave the room & listen from another aspect – Then do a reentry to the room and get the noise impact all at once, instead of during startup and gradually listen to the increase of noise – You kind of get used or immune to the noise. It may be more bothersome to someone in another room, than to you in the room with the PC.

The design of the heat sink was to give more cooling effect with a slower amount of fan speed, with a larger fan. Now you see about a 14°C improvement. I suppose that is good compared to what you had. But remember, this is a new build, and is the best it will ever be. As you upgrade with more drives or over clock and increase CPU usage – you have no more cooling in reserve to compensate for the additional heat.

Also when looking at temperatures – keep ambient room temperature – in mind. It is a factor also. Don’t get fooled by the fact that ambient temperature went down 5 °C and then compare CPU temperature. You started making measurements from the middle of winter to the end of winter – What happens in the middle of summer? Will your CPU temperature be back up at 70 °C again?

hit the windows key to go back to my desktop and check the temp- it was 65-66* Celsius

If you are using Speedfan – Minimize it – and it will constantly indicate the CPU Temp in your startup tray – at bottom left screen corner.

It is definitely an improvement – sort of what was expected – You may be able to obtain lower temps with better heat transfer between CPU & Heat sink assembly. Anthony J made the suggestion of better application of the thermal paste. He is correct – that would bring the temps down further. In fact it would be a grater temp reduction.

It is up to you – I say go ahead and use your PC for now – But in the middle of summer – you may encounter higher temps – or whenever you do an upgrade – you should also – take care of the heat sink issue – I will give you some links – material – general guidelines dealing with this issue in next post –

You got about a 70% increase of fan speed, and that got about 12 °C reduction at max temperature – I would not be surprised if you got additional 15 °C reduction with more efficient heat transfer, and that you would see very little temp increase between idle & 100% CPU usage. Because this temp reduction would be deducted from minimum usage.

You shortened up the temp span – now you could shift this span down below the minimum value of the span, by 5 °C. You could very well reach temp span of 40 °C to 50 °C range or better.

The goals of this exercise – was to get you more comfortable working with the PC – point out cooling effect variables – noise variable - & temp variables - . The fan was the easiest & quickest to accomplish, but was not the most effective. But it will show that the CPU Installation process is the most critical.

Now you have to keep in mind – that I am not just helping you – but look at the quantity of viewers that have observing –

Now it took longer to get this fan up to top speed – but we got it done – and you saw the difference fan speed and cooling – Here is a good thread to start with heat sink variables – Do not combine your issue with this thread by posting – just observe and take notes – there are some good suggestions & data specifications to learn

Heat Sink suggestions – System Building & Hardware
http://www.geekstogo...nk-t152333.html

You did a good job – Did not intend to give you a Snow Job – 2 feet was a bit much!?
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 March 2007 - 05:01 PM.

wfelter2000

wfelter2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Did not intend to give you a Snow Job[/b] – 2 feet was a bit much!?
Jack123

:blink: Yeah it was! Especially this time of year. :whistling:

I appreciate the help and am learning and will continue to observe this post. thanks Jack!!

Edited by wfelter2000, 19 March 2007 - 05:27 PM.