Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboards and Ram speeds

• Please log in to reply

thelastelephant

thelastelephant

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hey im looking to build a new computer but the fastest motherboards i can find only has DD2 800 ram
but ive found ram up to DD2 1150

why is the ram speed so high if a motherboard cant even use it that fast? is it just the ram is ahead of the motherboards? i haven't even been able to find a motherboard above DDR2800
thanks!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hey im looking to build a new computer but the fastest motherboards i can find only has DD2 800 ram
but ive found ram up to DD2 1150

why is the ram speed so high if a motherboard cant even use it that fast? is it just the ram is ahead of the motherboards? i haven't even been able to find a motherboard above DDR2800
thanks!

The motherboards only list ddr2 800 on all of them but you can run high as you want to on it like up to 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1150 (PC2 9200) as you said.

The only use for that speed of memory such as the ddr2 1150 ram would be for insane overclockability generally. That is the type of ram people buy that has unlimited ammounts of money and wants to overclock the machine on water or phase cooling to get the best benchmark scores possible.

You do not need to get over ddr2 800 if you will not be doing any overclocking at all. You can still overclock on the ddr2 800 ram just fine..

I personally would not waste my money on the ddr2 1150 ram..