Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook won't send mail

• Please log in to reply

Scargo

Scargo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
A few days ago I reloaded software on my PC for my Palm m105. I did what upgrades I could with the Palm desktop and Chappura. I do not think it coincidental that I lost the ability to send emails from Outlook around that time. I am running XP Pro and Office 2003. I have done the upgrades to Office 2003: Office Service Pack 1 and Office XP Service Pack 3, to no avail.
Initially, I received a typical mail failure notice which said that the connection to the server was interrupted. The error code is 0x800CCC0F. I get the error mesage twice in the send /receive progress window, though I only have one message I am trying to send. If I disable Norton Internet Security Professional I can send and receive email using a Yahoo and a gmail account.
I did the repair function for Office (which changed nothing) and I did Network Diagnostics. I got a "FAILED" for the IPAddress =X . When I turned off Norton the "failed" went away. Yet Outlook will not send mail. Pinging works (obviously, I would think).
Now, I don't claim to be any kind of computer geek, but I think I have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals. I am baffled! Again, I suspect something was corrupted or changed when I installed the software for my old Palm. I deleted all of it to no avail, as well.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This deals with causes for the error message you get

Lookout

Scargo

Scargo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I looked at your suggestion and have tried all of it that applies. I did most of it already. I have run the Windows Network Diagnostics and have done the "telnet" tests of ports 25 and 110. I found nothing to indicate a problem!
In Outlook I deleted and recreated my default email account. Still the same results....
I have not reloaded Outlook.

The error message (in Outlook 2003) which includes the error code 0x800CCC0F suggests that it may be an ISP issue. It says "the connection was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."
I contacted my ISP via their website's email help area and I get a "boilerplate" response which says I should check all the normal stuff, much like those in the link you suggested. I am well versed in all this by now and I can't find the problem. Should I keep after my ISP? Could it, in fact, be a problem on their server?

I feel like a ping-pong ball, in that, I cannot seem to get an answer from anyone and (it is assumed) that I know nothing, that it is my fault and that if I read all the stuff in the help/support articles I will be enlightened and can solve this problem. I am not getting anywhere with this approach. I have done most of these suggested things before I ever asked for help and then done them again. I feel as if I am going around in circles. BTW, I am 58 years young and have been fooling with PCs for 20 years. I am trying to give you as much information as I can to help you suggest a solution. What next?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is a trial version, run disc clean up then registry clean up then go to optimize to run reg defrag, takes a few minutes and needs reboot

TuneUp

Install Outlook then run tune up optimize, system optimizer, optimize computer config, needs reboot then go to same part and accelerate downloads, needs reboot

Try Outlook and if no change then go back to ISP

Scargo

Scargo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have been in computer [bleep] for a few days and have not been able to get back to you. My ISP changed my password (when I couldn't recall the old one) and he quickly dumped me off to Microsoft for help. While on the phone with my ISP, the tech didn't remind me that I needed to change the password on my router....
I tried Tuneup and had many more problems since using it. It froze, ran slow and generally was unreliable. I left the results of system optimizer, registry cleaner and disc cleaner but reversed the rest.
It is still quirky; on one reboot, when just running Outlook or Foxfire, both were utilizing all the processor could deliver. After a reboot that hasn't resurfaced.

Back to the original problem: I can't send mail from Outlook-- I mentioned I had Office 2003 on my computer and that I did upgrades for it and Office XP. I didn't realize that I had a full-blown installation of Office XP Pro as well as the Office 2003. Not really sure why.... so I uninstalled the XP version, thinking it was the less featured version. I then tried to uninstall Outlook from Office 2003 and reload it, alone. This appeared to take place (it went through some steps each time) but yet it did not ask me for a disc! So I am suspicious as to whether Outlook really went away and came back fresh. Is this possible? Should I reload Office 2003 completely, from scratch? Everything else is OK in "Office". I still wonder if there is an "identity" issue or corruption of Outlook from the loading of the old Palm and Chapurra software.

As I am writing this I opened a 1998 version of Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus and notice it is pegging the CPU usage meter (I now keep it open, just for fun). I have Outlook, Task Manager and Firefox open and was not having a problem until I opened this last application. So, this is similar to the other quirkiness I mentioned, above.
In all of this, I realize that I have Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunnel Pseudo-interface and Tunnel Adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface in my IP config. I think this is OK (and related to IPv6). I still wonder if something is corrupted or incompatible with anything related to installing and using the Palm applications. I think I have said that I deleted everything related to Palm and Chapurra.

aryachaty

aryachaty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too started getting this problem. I started getting it after I loaded Norton Internet Security 2005. I have tried disabling it & reinstalling Outlook. I am woundering whether I need to change the outgoing SMTP server to localhost & change the port to something in order for the mails to flow thru Norton? Is that the solution?

Help!! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In NAV click options then misc to remove tick from Office plug in, then in options if you can disable e-mail scanning then see if Outlook sends, if it does the issue is with NIS.

In the firewall settings can you change the permission for Outlook and Word to permit all instead of automatic.

Scargo

Scargo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
From the very beginning I tried disabling NAV and NISP (Norton Antivirus and the Norton Internet security Professional). This did not help my situation.
I am using gmail for outgoing mail and gmail forwards all my incoming to Outlook. This is a bogus fix but I am in the process of getting a new computer online and then I will do a clean reload Windows Office/Outlook.
I appreciate all the help but am a beaten man. For now, the software has won! And, I have given up on my old Palm. It was probably time for the m105 to hit the trashcan. This, after I took it all apart and cleaned it and oiled it. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you do re-install, check Outlook with the XP firewall, just to make sure NIS isn't the problem.

Good luck with it

Scargo

Scargo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Could you elaborate a little on what you mean I should try?
Do you mean that I should test sending email with Windows XP's firewall on and not have Norton's on?
I have been leary of using both at the same time. I don't see the need for redundancy and I worry about compatability. Seems to me that Norton and McAfee have reputations for intermittent conflicts Windows OS or at least some applications. I know it makes my computer run slower. I think it is because it is looking at all the files (in the backgroung) or at least it is using my computer's resources and using internet bandwidth occasionally.
I turn it and all related processes, in Task Manager, when I work in Photoshop.

BTW, I am running Microsoft's new Beta 1 anti-spyware program and really like it. I has some additional tools which are good.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After you install xp then office, try Outlook with just the XP firewall to see if it sends, then if you add NIS and get a problem with Outlook it has to be NIS