Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Scramble hard drive

• Please log in to reply

pastthetaste

pastthetaste

• Pip
  • 3 posts
so, i formatted the hard drive my OS was installed on. after getting my os and stuff reinstalled on that drive i noticed a hard drive i had installed before the format wasn't reading the data that was on it. i used a recovery program to get that data back. doing this made it so i can now see the file names of all the files that were on it, but very very few of the files match up with the file name. mp3s are all mixed together, you click one to play it it and its more than one mp3, you get a few seconds of one song then it'll go to a different song. if i click to [play a video i get another mix of mp3s. so far the files i've looked at haven't played any of the video, and some pics i had are shown as a file thats there, but it won't show up when tried to view. i have a feeling all the data is still there just its all mixed around. is there any way i can unscramble the data on the drive or is it too broken to fix?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well you could try a different data recovery program. I personally use one called getdataback. you have to use the one for your file system ( ntfs or fat ). by the way you didn't have a raid array of any type set up did you?

pastthetaste

pastthetaste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i've tried a number of file recovery programs. i finally got to winhex, now i know my files are fragmented, i have no idea what i can do to unfragment them. i did manage to get a few jpegs back (just a bunch of album covers) but really what im after is all the family video and photo i had stored on that drive, i have a terrible feeling if i really want the stuff back its gonna cost A LOT to sent it to a lab for them to work their magic. i keep gettin quotes for $800+ so if anyone knows of a lab that won't charge an arm and a leg, pls let me know. (im hoping 800 bucks is a steep price for this kind of service, but i wouldn't know, never been in the market for that kind of thing before)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

i've tried a number of file recovery programs. i finally got to winhex, now i know my files are fragmented, i have no idea what i can do to unfragment them. i did manage to get a few jpegs back (just a bunch of album covers) but really what im after is all the family video and photo i had stored on that drive, i have a terrible feeling if i really want the stuff back its gonna cost A LOT to sent it to a lab for them to work their magic. i keep gettin quotes for $800+ so if anyone knows of a lab that won't charge an arm and a leg, pls let me know. (im hoping 800 bucks is a steep price for this kind of service, but i wouldn't know, never been in the market for that kind of thing before)

well sorry to say that $800 sounds very cheap for a lab recovery..... I don't think you'll find anyone to beat that... and unfortunately many charge you $90+ for a quote. Unless you can find some software that can make enough sense of the data you may be out of luck ( or of $800 ) sorry!

pastthetaste

pastthetaste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

well sorry to say that $800 sounds very cheap for a lab recovery..... I don't think you'll find anyone to beat that... and unfortunately many charge you $90+ for a quote. Unless you can find some software that can make enough sense of the data you may be out of luck ( or of $800 ) sorry!

well that just stinks. thanks though