Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage 100% windows XP

• Please log in to reply

snoja88

snoja88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

About a month ago a program that I downloaded froze and turned my windows XP laptop's screen black. There were quiet clicking noises coming from the computer and after exhausting every method I knew, I had to pull the battery to turn off the laptop. Since this happened, my performance has been extremely slow/poor. my CPU usage (as indicated by task manager) is 100%. But, a single program does not take up thise 100%. It alternates, so at times one program will take up 70% and seconds later nothing at all. Seemingly random programs take up the memory. The bottom of the laptop overheats and the fan is loud. I can't run media (I assume from the high mem usage)

I think I killed my laptop :whistling: Please help

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
What was the application that caused the initial problem? It is quite possible that your system has fallen prey to malware.
At the top of Geeks To Go there is an underlined "Start Here." Please do.
Your situation, of course, is compounded by the loss of power stop created when you unplugged your battery. Once you are sure that your system is free from malware, please post back, and we will all help you with any problems that remain.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To add to what 1101doc suggested: I would run checkdisk. Please do the following: My computer > right-click local disk c: > properties > tools > error checking > check both options > start. The process is quite lengthy and is affected by disk size, condition, memory available etc. It may take much longer at the sorry state of your computer. If need be, leave it overnight. If you have more then one partition please run the process on the otherone as well.

I suggest that you use two books to raise the computer a little to enable better circulation of fresh air. make sure that air inlets and outlets are not blocked.