Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed urgently please - Worm.

• Please log in to reply

Fox07

Fox07

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I did the usual virus scan yesterday (AVG free edition) and it came up with this
Posted Image Anyway I did another virus scan and it said it had been deleted so I thought everything was okay. Today I did my scan again and it has now thrown this up.
Posted Image
The scan has just finished and it now says this Posted Imagesorry its blurred - I was trying to get the picture quickly before it went off screen) Posted Image

Is the worm not being deleted as the virus scan said yesterday and is it a dangerous one? Sorry I don't know much about computers. :blink: I haven't opened any suspicious emails so I can't understand where it has come from. :whistling: I am running Windows XP.
Just realised the pictures aren't as clear now I have reduced them the one yesterday said Firefox setup 1.5.0.4 exe - virus identified Worm/VB. AUG and today it said A0116861.exe - Worm/VB.AUG.

Edited by Fox07, 12 March 2007 - 04:33 AM.

Advertisements

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Your photo says it has been deleted. Don't worry.

Do your virus scan in safe mode.
Also do your spyware/malware scans in safe mode.

ad-aware
http://www.snapfiles...re/adaware.html

avg antispyware
http://free.grisoft....0/lng/us/tpl/v5

Edited by zbd, 12 March 2007 - 05:05 AM.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for replying so fast :whistling: Well before I saw your answer I just did a symantec online scan and it still says my computer has a virus. :help: Posted Image

I'm sorry but could you tell me how to start it up in safe mode because I have never done it before and not sure how to do it. :help: I have tried doing a system restore but thats not working at all either. :) Also could you tell me whether this virus could infect my sons and daughters computers that are upstairs but are wireless. My computer isn't wireless though but I think it uses the router too. :blink:

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Turn off your computer.
Turn on your computer and keep pushing the F8 key until you get a black screen with printed lines.
Arrow up to the top line.
It says something like safe mode.
Click yes when it asks you a question.
You are now in safe mode and can clean your computer without internet hookup.

The virus cannot go to your children's computers.

Put a good firewall on your computer.

http://www.majorgeek..._Free_d388.html

good luck

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Well I have just ran the scans that you recommended in safe mode and it didn't find anything. The AVG spywares just found tracking cookies and medium risk things like that which I deleted but nothing bad.
I have the Zonealarm firewall already, its excellent isn't it. :whistling: Thanks ZBD for your help. :blink:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Go to the malware forum and post a HJT log there.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks Ultimateslacker2 - I have just posted one. :whistling: