Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
To whom it may concern;: I have in my possession a DVD-R which is a compilation of video files in the VIDEO_TS.IFO format, which were originally recorded on camcorder and transferred to DVD by stand alone machine(not computer). The problem lies in the fact that Windows XP will not enable me to open up the video, or access the DVD for copying. I have attempted to use Nero Ultra but it will not allow me to copy.

My question is this: Is there a program download available that would allow me to access this DVD-R to make DVD copies.?

Sincerely yours

Waynef

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
How to play downloaded DVD files VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP from hard disk?

To play a copied/ripped DVD from hard disk you can use WinDVD:
First of all you have to copy all the ripped data to the right place. Create a VIDEO_TS folder and copy all the ripped files there. Then start WinDVD, right-click on the player (menu will pop up). Choose Source -> DVD From Folder. Find and open your VIDEO_TS folder.

To play a copied/ripped DVD with PowerDVD you click on the open button and choose Open DVD File from the Hard Disk Drive and open the video_ts.ifo.

To play VIDEO_TS using ANY PLAYER download and install MPEG2 Decoder. After that, find your VIDEO_TS folder and open VOB files (such as VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.V0B etc.).
-----------------------------------------------
Let's explain what is inside VIDEO_TS:

VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01_0.IFO - are configuration files with information about how to play exactly all video and audio content of DVD (including menus, subtitles, aspect ratio, languages etc.).

VIDEO_TS.BUP, VTS_01_0.BUP - backup of configuration files.

VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.V0B, ... - files with video and audio data.
----------------------------------------------------------

I am unable to play the video_ts.ifo with my power dvd player.

The files you need are: VIDEO_TS.IFO & .BUP, VTS_XX_0.IFO & .BUP and the VTS_XX_X.VOB

Probably IFO structure isn't correct (PowerDVD can't handle your files). So, you need to re-create correct VIDEO_TS.IFO with the help of IFOEdit program.

Step 1. Click here to download IfoEdit. Unzip it.

Step 2. Start IfoEdit.exe, and press the button 'Create IFOs'.

Step 3. Leave the options like they are. Click on arrow to load "1st VOB of Title-set". Or just specify the first VOB file of your several VOB files. For example, VTS_02_1.VOB.

Step 4. Next, we want to have the new IFOs in the same directory, so check the box: 'Same as source'.

Step 5. Click OK. IfoEdit scans now the VOB files and collects all IFO-releated information.

Step 6. After it has finished collecting all needed information from the VOB files, it creates two new IFO files. For example, VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO.

Step 7. Now we need to do some little modifications. Click on VTS_01_0.IFO, and you will notice that the audio and subpicture attributes doesn't have a language specified.

Step 8. To change that, double click the audio-subpicture stream. Specify the language of this stream, and click OK.

Step 9. Done for this IFO file. Because VIDEO_TS.IFO holds a copy of the title-set attributes, you need to do the same in VIDEO_TS.IFO. So select the VIDEO_TS.IFO in IfoEdit, and specify again the language for the two streams.

Done! Save now your IFO files, and enjoy your movie.

SRX660