Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello
About 6 months ago I asked for your help to network my 2 PCs so I could file share and Internet connection share – using Ethernet cards and cable.
Unfortunately after a series of posts we decided to stop trying and I would wait for an upgrade to 8meg Broadband from my ISP and you would ‘talk’ me through again this time using wireless.
I now have the upgrade and have been able to connect the 2 PCs to the WWW using USB wireless adapters and a hub. This is a wireless broadband router called a home hub - I now have the 2 PCs and an Xbox 360 enabled to access the WWW wirelessly
Can you help me to set up a home network - I have read the 'how to' guide here http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/enablesharing0.htm but the 2 PCs still cant ‘see’ each other.
Both PCs are running Win XP SP2.
Both PCs are running Zone alarm firewall and I think I have enabled access to each other.
The hub firewall is showing that it allows application sharing.
I have ‘pinged’ both and this appears to be ok.
Thanks

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Have you tried disabling the firewall temporarily to see if you can see the other systems?
Also, is file sharing enabled and something actually shared out on the PC's?

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thanks for your prompt reply

Have you tried disabling the firewall temporarily to see if you can see the other systems?
Also, is file sharing enabled and something actually shared out on the PC's?

I'm not to happy to turn off the firewall as I have had major malware problems in the past (sorted by G2G) Will networking work if I do not connect to the WWW and then turn it off?

I went through the instructions to set up sharing - Network Setup Wizard and I have shared a couple of folders on each PC

Thanks

Chris

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi.

Unplug the internet, then try this. Firewalls are the most common 'problem' with home networks.

Armic

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello and thanks for the advice.

Unplug the internet, then try this. Firewalls are the most common 'problem' with home networks.

I have unplugged the internet connection and disabled both PC firewalls but the result is still the same.
I also cannot share my printers.

Looks like we are back to the situation when G2G tried to get an ethernet network set up for me.

Chris

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi.

Have you gone through the process described on this page: Click Here

This is the easiest way to set up a home network.

Armic

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

Have you gone through the process described on this page: Click Here

Yes I have
Some of the screens were not as the instructions (one PC is on XP home the other on XP Pro)
I was not asked to restart
On the 'Select a connection method' I notice there is an 'other' option which mentions a hub - this seems a litle more like my set up should I use that ?
I could sent you a screen pic if I knew how to do it !
There was no mention of my wireless set up when I went through the wizard

Chris

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Any further thoughts anyone?

I've heard that Zone alarm can be 'difficult' as this is on both PCs could this be the problem although I did try with Zone alarm turned off on both machines

Chris :whistling:

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi,

If you have tried with Zone alarm turned off, then Zona alarm is not the immediate problem.

Have you accessed your modem/router and checked that it is set to broadcast your ssid.

Armic

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello thanks for the reply

If you have tried with Zone alarm turned off, then Zona alarm is not the immediate problem.

I already turned off both firewalls in response to your post of 12th March but with no change

Have you accessed your modem/router and checked that it is set to broadcast your ssid.

I'm not quite sure what to look for, if I go into the 'Hub manager' I can see the ssid shown there. What setting would I look for - both PCs can access the WWW and the tray icons in both quote the ssid
Sorry but I dont really know that much about PCs

Looks like this is going to be a no go like the previous time you tried to help me with networking - I think it was "Dan G" back then

Chris

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello
Further to the previous post

I have been in contact with my ISP and they have confirmed that the Hub is set to broadcast the ssid

Can you tell me how to add screen print thumbnails to my posts as I'm sure we will need them if this query continues :whistling:

Chris

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello yet again

My ISP referred me to a site to help set up a network this site reads as follows in respect of file sharing:-

"?? Broadband Helpdesks will not provide support for networking applications such as file sharing Please use help files provided on your computer (such as Microsoft Help) or go to websites recommended by your systems supplier"

So there is little chance of any help from the ISP so any G2G knowledge/experience will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Chris

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'm Following this topic closely as I'm having the same problem with BT broadband using a wirless Hub.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi nickyboy1

Yes I'm following yours too - have you had any luck contacting BT broadband - I contacted them by 'online chat' and didn't get anywhere much

Chris :whistling:

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi Chris, yes I did contact them, but the problem with BT is they now base the operations in India, I think I would have had more luck ordering a Take Away.