Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter
I am in the process of deleting the virtual machine - any problems I'll let you know !!

Before I start working on the printer again I have decided to delete all network printer entries on both machines and start again
Can I as usual ask a question ?
I not sure if I am supposed to set up a new printer on each machine and then modify the settings
The reason for asking this is because when I set up the network printer on the Systemax a 'copy' of this appears on the Dell with a name 'Auto EPSON Stylus C60 Series on SYSTEMAXPC' can I modify that 'copy' or set up a fresh one ?
On the Systemax it appears as 'Auto Auto EPSON Stylus C60 Series on SYSTEMAXPC on DELLPC'
When I hear from you I will start again this time on the Dell where the original printer is installed. Printing seems to be a bit hit and miss - works sometimes

Thanks very much - I think we are very nearly finished on this thread :whistling:

PS Should only one printer be the default ?

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 07 May 2007 - 04:46 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Have never seen the auto setup before it must be something with the bthub.
Deleteing the printers and starting from scratch is a good idea.
You can use the auto printer and modify the settings.
If this is the only printer in the list then it will set itself to default. You should have a default printer on both computers.
Default just means that when you go to print it will pick that printer. This is handy if you have more then 1 printer like
1 black and white laser & 1 colour inkjet
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi Peter
The virtual machine is gone - no problems :blink:

Thanks for the info - it seems that most things involving BT cause problems ! :whistling:
I hope to have another go at the printer tomorrow (my time) and let you know. If we cant get it to work its not a real problem it would just be nice to do it.
I've re-read the thread that refers to the Epson C62 being set up on the BTHub and the settings there seem to be what we have been using.

I'm going to disable Zone Alarm on the Dell as the firewall on the hub should be enough shouldn't it ?

Now a theoretical question for you - is it possible to add a PC running Windows 2000 Pro to the network I have ?

Thanks - I expect you will be glad to get back to nice straightforward threads!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
As for Zone alarm I have never used it It is more of a program that tells you what is trying to get out from your computer rather then stopping what gets in. The hub And windows firewall + common sense should stop problems.
A good backup strategy and running Adaware and spybot on a regular basis should be enough. I would uninstall ZA rather then turn off.

Now a theoretical question for you - is it possible to add a PC running Windows 2000 Pro to the network I have

Sure Can on my network I have computers with 1) 98 2) ME 3) Server 2000 - similar to 2000 pro just does more 4)Apple OSX 5) apple OS9 (untill both apples crashed big tme - hardware related) all shared files and all accessed the internet.
Cheers
Peterm

RobKeem

RobKeem

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Try network magic it's well worth the $30.00 I had the same problems tried the 30 day trial and was able to network a laptop on win2000 a laptopon XP and my desktop on Vista ultimate. It was well worth the 30.00.

http://www.networkmagic.com/

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi Peter

A good backup strategy and running Adaware and spybot on a regular basis should be enough. I would uninstall ZA rather then turn off.

I'll try to uninstall or at least disable Zone Alarm and turn on Windows Firewall
I already use Adaware and Spybot regularly - will make backup and restore points in future

I did a bit of research and found THIS
I'll turn off the option in Control Panel>Folder Options>View before I set the network printer up again.
I will be doing this ASAP but the outside world butts in once more - I'll let you know

Thanks for the info about adding a Win 2000 machine to the network - I have an old PC that I may add later - its got some bits and pieces on it that I may use. Not yet though ! I bet when you set up your 5 machines you didn't have these problems.

Try network magic it's well worth the $30.00 I had the same problems tried the 30 day trial and was able to network a laptop on win2000 a laptopon XP and my desktop on Vista ultimate. It was well worth the 30.00.

Thank you RobKeem for this - I'll look into it.

Thanks Peter

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Try network magic it's well worth the $30.00

Why you got me for free :whistling:
Your network is working. It might get the printer it might not I think it has a free trail.
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter

The hub And windows firewall + common sense should stop problems.

Zone alarm is now off and Windows firewall + the Hub are on

I would uninstall ZA rather then turn off.

I'll get to that ASAP - not sure on the Dell as its part of the BT stuff !

I have now had a go at the printer again starting with a clean sheet. Think I have stopped the 'Auto' printers by turing off the option in Control Panel
I set up a 'local printer' on each machine and modified the port settings - each is shared and the default
'Printers and Faxes' shows the one on the Systemax as ready and it will print a test page, however the one on the Dell shows as offline and wont print. If I unplug the USB cable the status does not change !
I have modified the port settings (LPT1 or 2 and LPR on or off) but no go
Dont suppose there is a piece of kit that can convert USB to Ethernet so we could try plugging the printer into the Ethernet port on the BTHub
Its probably not worth messing about any more though so I think I'll go back to a 'Local printer' on the Dell which is shared with the Systemax

Try network magic it's well worth the $30.00

Why you got me for free

The site in RobKeem's post looks interesting http://www.networkmagic.com/
I was going to talk to you about that - your signature says to give blood - if that's serious I'm sorry to say I can't as I take prescription drugs - do you have a PayPal account?

Thanks - do you take on XP Operating system queries ?

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 08 May 2007 - 08:36 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris

I'll get to that ASAP - not sure on the Dell as its part of the BT stuff !

If all is ok leave it

Printers and Faxes' shows the one on the Systemax as ready and it will print a test page

Can you print more the 1 test page without having to unplug anything

Dont suppose there is a piece of kit that can convert USB to Ethernet so we could try plugging the printer into the Ethernet port on the BTHub

No

The site in RobKeem's post looks interesting http://www.networkmagic.com/

download the free and see it it helps the printer

says to give blood

Not a given :whistling: Just a suggestion

do you have a PayPal account?

No my help is FREE

do you take on XP Operating system queries

Yes
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter
I have disabled ZA and disabled it in msconfig it doesn't seem to be causing a problem - I'll see about uninstalling it later - remembering to use those instructions you gave me to get rid of it completly.

Printers and Faxes' shows the one on the Systemax as ready and it will print a test page
Can you print more the 1 test page without having to unplug anything

I've tried to set the printer up several times once I was able to print a test page and from notepad but from Word it got halfway through and stopped. I've unplugged and deleted from print manager to clear the printer. I have not yet managed any better than that. It seems pretty random.
I have decided to go to a shared 'Local' printer on the Dell :whistling:

my help is FREE

Are you sure - I see quite a bit on the board about members not saying 'Thank you' and not donating. Time is money these days.

do you take on XP Operating system queries
Yes

I have several do you want them in this topic ? LET ME KNOW.

Just for information - I added a PSP console to my network (wireless) with no problems - see I can get it right sometimes :blink::help: :help:
Have you heard anything from nickyboy1 ?

Thanks for the continuing support

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 09 May 2007 - 08:17 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris

Are you sure - I see quite a bit on the board about members not saying 'Thank you' and not donating. Time is money these days.

Positive my time on here is free. I only make the suggestion about the blood. This is not a must. I hope it makes people think that they can help someone like I have helped them. The thing about the Thank you is we can spend weeks helping someone, Get them going and they can't be bothed to say thanks for the help.

It would be best to post in the xp section so others can read and maybe learn. You can post the link here after you post.

Just for information - I added a PSP console to my network (wireless) with no problems - see I can get it right sometimes

:whistling: well done. After what we have been through you will find the 2000 just as easy to hookup.

Have you heard anything from nickyboy1 ?

:blink:
Are you going to try that network free download to see if the printer works.
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter

Positive my time on here is free. I only make the suggestion about the blood. This is not a must. I hope it makes people think that they can help someone like I have helped them. The thing about the Thank you is we can spend weeks helping someone, Get them going and they can't be bothed to say thanks for the help.

I agree totally with what you said, you see it all the time in threads no 'Thank you' all through and then the thread just stops when its sorted ! A sign of the times we live in.
I know you have saved me money and its a pity I cant give blood as a kind of 'Thank you' - sorry.

After what we have been through you will find the 2000 just as easy to hookup.

I'll leave that one for a while. :whistling:

Are you going to try that network free download to see if the printer works.

I had decided to leave it as a 'Local' shared printer, but I think you want to get it on as a network one dont you?
However when I was playing around I found this - My network places > Entire network > MS windows network > Bt > Samba server (Thomson) > Printers and Faxes > Add printer - I get a box telling me I dont have suffient privileges to add a printer on \\Thomson Do you want to run this command as different user, if I click <Yes> I get another box asking which user do I want to use to run this program. The current user is shown and an option to change user, the default is "Administrator" but access is denied if I select this and enter my administrator password. I am already an administrator on my own User ID.
\\Thomson indicates a network drive doesn't it
Any thoughts.

It would be best to post in the xp section so others can read and maybe learn. You can post the link here after you post.

I'll do that, but here is a general one for you Firefox or upgrade to MSIE 7 or both ?

I'll stop now and wait for your reply - Thank you so much. :blink:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris

I'll do that, but here is a general one for you Firefox or upgrade to MSIE 7 or both ?

Both
Use firefox as browser and IE only when firefox won't work - IE online virus scan
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi Peter

Hi Chris

Both
Use firefox as browser and IE only when firefox won't work - IE online virus scan
Cheers
Peterm

I'll give them both a go on the faithful Systemax !

I've just put a new post in the "Windows XP 2000 2003 NT" forum its HERE You might want to give an opinion :whistling: :blink:

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Try admin as the password for the printer