Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Go to start>run type in firewall.cpl click ok
on the exceptions tab is there a tick next to file and print sharing? if not then please tick and click ok
Cheers
peterm

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello and thanks peterm

I get the same problem with screenshots

Glad its not just me then :whistling:

Ok is computer 1 the dell the one with CA

Yes it is.

on systemaxpc (computer2) click on entire workgroup. does this give you another page with workgroup if yes click on workgroup does this then show you a page with the dell pc if yes click on that what happens.

On the Systemax (Computer 2) When I click on Entire network I get Microsoft Windows Network click on that I get Mshome click on that I get a blank window

Can you disable zone alarm on both computers? if not then please remove it from both computers.

I can disable Zone alarm on both do you want me to now? I have disabled both before while unplugged from the broadband connection but this did not help

go to control panel click on network connections - there should be an icon saying local area connection right click on this go to propertities do you have

On the Systemax I have two entries in Local area connection one is a disabled Ethernet card the second is Wireless network connection the properties show Client for MS windows and File and printer sharing for MS networks are both ticked. Also shown and ticked are QoS packet scheduler, AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v3.2.0.3 and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Does any of your paper work that came with the hub have an internet address for help or online manual.

I cant see any reference to an online manual the set up CD does not seem to contain one
Online help is available but as stated in previous posts from me and nickboy1 they are in India and only work from scripts if you go off those then the final suggestion is always contact MS !
What you get is the hub and instructions to install it which is basically to switch it on wait an hour or so while the best speed is set from the local exchange and run the set up CD

When you ran the Xp network wizard did you tun on ICS(internet connection sharing) If yes this could be part of the problem

I'm sorry but I dont remember - neither of them show as shared in Status in Network connections - where can I check that?

Does your hub have on it that it is a 1800G model

I cant see that on the hub itself or in the online Hub manager - this kit is made for BT (in China) and only shows the BT logo - as I've said before I only went over to this option to get the 8meg broadband speed - the hub comes (FREE)with that !! :blink: I Googled 1800G and the picture does not match the Hub I have - http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/cat121 shows some details

Do you have any computer hardwired to the hub?

No not at the moment but I have had one PC (the Dell) and an Xbox on ethernet cables but they are now connected wirelessly

Go to start>run type in firewall.cpl click ok
on the exceptions tab is there a tick next to file and print sharing? if not then please tick and click ok

Yes its ticked

I thinks that answered all the questions

Thanks again for sticking with me I would really like to see this through to a conclusion :help:
Chris

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

I just noticed in the Wireless Network connections - client for MS Networks - advanced tab 'Internet connection sharing' is unticked on the Dell PC (Computer 1) which is running XP Home
This option is not shown at all on the other PC which is running XP Pro

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
This says that it can take 4 direct cables Router
1) you said on page 1 of this that you tried setting up the network before - was that as a wireless network ? if not did you try a hub/switch
2) if your router does have ethernet ports is it possible to connect both computers to the router or are they to far apart?
I am thinking if this is possible then we hook them up and see if we can file share first then we try the wireless.
3) If not can the dell connect to the router via the ethernet cable.
4) Can you point me to the first attempt so I can see what was done
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

This says that it can take 4 direct cables Router

This is not the equipment I have - try BTHomeHub my hub has 2 Ethernet 1 USB and 10+ wireless connections

1) you said on page 1 of this that you tried setting up the network before - was that as a wireless network ? if not did you try a hub/switch

The first attempt was by Ethernet cards and cables - I only had a broadband modem (2meg) at that time. See below for the first topic details.

2) if your router does have ethernet ports is it possible to connect both computers to the router or are they to far apart?
I am thinking if this is possible then we hook them up and see if we can file share first then we try the wireless.
3) If not can the dell connect to the router via the ethernet cable.

They can be connected by Ethernet cables but I have a fear that I would lose the Internet connection if I do - I'm sorry to say that I dont really have that much faith in BT equipment !! and their help isn't any help at all !!!

4) Can you point me to the first attempt so I can see what was done

The topic details are First G2G topic - home network

Thanks once again - there is something basic that I'm missing or that I've done wrong I expect. :whistling: If you want to give up let me know.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

If you want to give up let me know.

[bleep] was not frozen when i was there last

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

If you want to give up let me know.

[bleep] was not frozen when i was there last

Sorry I dont understand that

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I will give up when H.E.L.L freezes over

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

I will give up when H.E.L.L freezes over

Thanks a lot - this is getting to me - not a good day here I'm battling with my credit card company to get a large important payment to go through on the WWW - it keeps getting blocked as its an 'unusual' amount
Not your problem I know

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
is the wirless card a usb plug in or is it a card you plugged in to the motherboard

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

is the wirless card a usb plug in or is it a card you plugged in to the motherboard

They are external 'Dongles' on both PCs See here- voyager 1055
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok with out changing any settings what if you power down remove the dongle plug in a cable to 1 computer from the ethernet then start up again. See if you can access the internet If you are worried you can make a restore point. Do you know how to make a restore

Edited by peterm, 21 March 2007 - 06:11 AM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
Got your PM

Hi Chris
Hope I did not screw anything by having you plug in the cable. Not sure if you just went off line or having trouble.
I am sorry but must go I hve to get up for work in 6 hours
Cheers
Peterm

Nothing is screwed - I had to go out so I haven't yet done anything

ok with out changing any settings what if you power down remove the dongle plug in a cable to 1 computer from the Ethernet then start up again. See if you can access the internet

Sorry I didn't realise that you wanted me to try the cable now, I dont make any changes unless I'm specifically told to - safer that way and only one of us is in charge
I'll try and let you know what happens

If you are worried you can make a restore point. Do you know how to make a restore

I think I do but will check - it's on lots of G2G posts if I can't find it I'll ask you
Thanks for sticking with me

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

If you are worried you can make a restore point. Do you know how to make a restore

I think I do but will check - it's on lots of G2G posts if I can't find it I'll ask you

This is what I've done is this correct :-

First turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Then restart the PC

Then turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

System Restore will now be active again from that point on.

If this is ok tell me and I'll switch to a cable.
Thanks

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
I haven't heard from so I decided to set a Restore point - not a criticism I know you have a life outside of G2G

ok with out changing any settings what if you power down remove the dongle plug in a cable to 1 computer from the ethernet then start up again. See if you can access the internet

1.I powered down unplugged the USB dongle
2.Plugged in the Ethernet cable
3.Switched on and the Connection status shows in Network connections as Acquiring network address and the tray icon shows limited connectivity
4.I couldn't connect to the WWW
5.I then ran the New connection wizard and the Network setup wizard
6.The Connection status still shows in Network connections as Acquiring network address and the tray icon still shows limited connectivity
7.I still cant connect to the WWW

Thanks again - looking forward to hearing from you