Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Not so much a life just time difference
ok that is odd you should be able to use both I need to read your first post in depth to see what was changed
Lets go back to wireless again. Please plug the dongle back in and see if the www connects.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
can you please tell me what the firewall settings are in your router?
Also application sharing and wirless.

On the Dell click on start>search>computers or people>computer on the network. Under computer name put SYSTEMAXPC and click search what do you get.
Are you logged on both computers with admin rights?

This is something very basic I am missing :whistling:

What is your router ip address

Edited by peterm, 22 March 2007 - 05:55 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

No not at the moment but I have had one PC (the Dell) and an Xbox on ethernet cables but they are now connected wirelessly

Are we trying to connect 2 computers or 1 computer and an X box?

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
i have 2 things that i always do when setting up a network!

First, make a folder on one computer and drop some files into it, right click the file, then go to properties, under the sharing tab, click the radial button for sharing. click apply then ok,

Push start > run > type CMD then ok, type ipconfig, please note the IPaddress of that machine.

Go to second machine then open windows explorer and type \\id address, for example \\192.168.2.2

after a minute or so you should see your files,

if that works, come back and we will set your printer up!

hope that helps

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
1. Go to the control panel & select "Administrative Tools".

2. In Administrative Tools, go to "Services".

3. On the Services screen, scroll down until you find "Wireless Zero Configuration".

Is this set to started?

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
Thanks as usual for helping

Lets go back to wireless again. Please plug the dongle back in and see if the www connects.

Unplugged the Ethernet cable - plugged in the Dongle - started the PC and was able to access the WWW and my email without changing anything

can you please tell me what the firewall settings are in your router?

The Firewall setting on the Hub is:-
Standard
Use this Security Level to allow all outgoing connections and block all incoming traffic. Game & Application sharing is allowed by the firewall..

Also application sharing and wirless.

Not quite sure what you want here this is the Hub manager page headed Application sharing:-
Game & Application Sharing
This page summarises the games and applications defined on your BT Home Hub. Each game or application can be assigned to a device on your local network.
Assigned Games & Applications
Click on 'Unassign' to disable a game or a application or use the last row in the table to assign a game or application to a local network device.
If the game or the application you are looking for does not exist, click here to create it (you will be asked for game or application details).
Choose 'User-defined' in the device list and enter its IP address if the device you are looking for does not appear in the device list.

Game or Application
No games or applications assigned.
THEN THERE
IS A DROP DOWN LIST OF GAMES
AND APPLICATIONS WITH AN 'ADD'
BUTTON
THE LIST IS HARD TO READ AS ITS
NOT FORMATTED I WILL COPY IT TO YOU IF YOU WANT

Device
THIS DROP DOWN LIST AS SHOWN
Unknown-00-12-5a-c9-3c-7a
systemax
dell
dell
<User-defined...>
Log
THIS IS A TICK BOX

Modify a game or application

I've tried to attach a screenprint of this page

There is also a page headed UPnP
Where UPnP is ticked

Then a page headed DMZ

On the Dell click on start>search>computers or people>computer on the network. Under computer name put SYSTEMAXPC and click search what do you get.

It finds nothing

Are you logged on both computers with admin rights?

As far as I am aware I am Start>Control Panel> User accounts on both show me as "Computer administrator"

What is your router ip address

Would it be this:- (sorry I'm not very up in all this stuff as you can tell!!) :blink:
IP Address: 86.139.255.182

Primary DNS: 62.6.40.162

Secondary DNS: 194.72.0.98

No not at the moment but I have had one PC (the Dell) and an Xbox on ethernet cables but they are now connected wirelessly
Are we trying to connect 2 computers or 1 computer and an X box?

We are trying to connect two PCs there is also an Xbox which is working ok on wireless
What I was saying was that soon after I got the Hub the Dell and the Xbox were on Ethernet cables but everything is now wireless

glen_m_32 Posted Today, 12:42 PM
i have 2 things that i always do when setting up a network!

First, make a folder on one computer and drop some files into it, right click the file, then go to properties, under the sharing tab, click the radial button for sharing. click apply then ok,

Push start > run > type CMD then ok, type ipconfig, please note the IPaddress of that machine.

Go to second machine then open windows explorer and type \\id address, for example \\192.168.2.2

after a minute or so you should see your files,

if that works, come back and we will set your printer up!

hope that helps

peterm - This topic is getting a little confusing now as two Geeks are involved !
However I did that and it didn't work! :help:

3. On the Services screen, scroll down until you find "Wireless Zero Configuration".

Is this set to started?

Status is blank

peterm
I hope I've answered all your questions sorry the post is so long
I feel we should be looking at the Firewalls, this seemed to be where the previous G2G topic was going but I'm quite happy to follow your instructions :whistling:

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

THE LIST IS HARD TO READ AS ITS
NOT FORMATTED I WILL COPY IT TO YOU IF YOU WANT

No need
I see you got the pic to up load :whistling:
Can you try to give me a pic of the pages wireless ip addresses and firewall.
Yes I think it is most likley firewall related. Thats why I would like to get rid of Zone alarm. I noticed from the first post before the router you could not get the computers to network. Can you go on to the systemaxpc and check in services

Is this set to started? if it is not started then click once on it then right click and click on start any difference to connecting to the Dell and with this on can you still connect to the www. If there is no change to accessing the dell and you can;t access www then go back in to services and right click on the service again and click stop.
If possible can you try Just turning this on with just the systemaxpc and see if there is a change. If not turn it on on both machines. If there is no change when you turn it on then we will look at your wireless card settings. If in doubt do nothing.
When you connected the ethernet cable you said you ran the Network wizzard and could not connect to the www. did you also run the cd that came with the hub?
Cheers
Peterm

systemax
dell
dell
<User-defined...>
This is a worry it says it does not regonize the systemaxpc. What address do you put in the web browser to open the home page of the Hub

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

I see you got the pic to up load
Can you try to give me a pic of the pages wireless ip addresses and firewall.

Yes good isn't it - something I did right :whistling: :blink:
I've attached pics as requested and one other

On the Services screen, scroll down until you find "Wireless Zero Configuration".

I then enabled "Wireless Zero Configuration" on the systemaxpc - still couldn't see the dellpc using My network connections and Windows Explorer but could still connect to the WWW.
I then enabled "Wireless Zero Configuration" on the dellpc - still couldn't see the systemaxpc using My network connections and Windows Explorer but could still connect to the WWW.
So I left W Z C enabled on both unplugged my Broadband connection and turned off the Zone alarm firewall on both PCs - but they still could not see each other
I haven't touched the firewall on the Hub

When you connected the ethernet cable you said you ran the Network wizzard and could not connect to the www. did you also run the cd that came with the hub?

No I didn't because I had previously been able to connect by Ethernet cable
If you want me to try that please tell me

systemax
dell
dell
<User-defined...>
This is a worry it says it does not regonize the systemaxpc. What address do you put in the web browser to open the home page of the Hub

I connect to the Hub manager by clicking a desktop icon but this address is given in the user guide bthomehub.home

Well thanks as usual - do you feel you are getting anywhere?

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Have you tried setting up a network drive?

Sorry if gets confusing, but i'm sure me and peterm are on the same team!

also i would try it with just windows, turn off Zonealarm and windows firewall

1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Off, and then click OK.

turn all firewalls on both PC's!

i would also consider turning the router firewall off, just for fault finding technique

FYI, i have had big problems using the HomeHUB before, we got rid of it and went for BELKIN. Also you can plug your USB printer directly into the back of the hub!

Edited by glen_m_32, 23 March 2007 - 06:42 AM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello glen_m_32

Have you tried setting up a network drive?

No I haven’t - how would that change things when the two PCs cant see each other in My network places?

Sorry if gets confusing, but i'm sure me and peterm are on the same team!

Yes I understand that and thanks for your contribution :blink: – would it not help if you contacted peterm direct to discuss the problem on a technical level?

also i would try it with just windows, turn off Zonealarm and windows firewall

The Windows Firewall is always off as G2G advise its unwise to have 2 enabled
I have already (several times) turned off the Zone Alarm Firewall on both PCs (see my last post) – it makes no difference

i would also consider turning the router firewall off, just for fault finding technique

Is the Hub Firewall still active when the Hub is unplugged from the phone point (see my last post)?

FYI, i have had big problems using the HomeHUB before, we got rid of it and went for BELKIN.

Yes I’ve read that in other forums – all sorts of probs – cheap components etc etc – lack of ‘Help’ from BT’s helpdesks as they work from scripts in India and cant go ‘off the page’ :whistling:
Can a Belkin modem/router be used for BT total broadband then – was it easy to set up and of course HOW MUCH ?

Also you can plug your USB printer directly into the back of the hub!

I didn’t know that. The Hub treats it as another PC I suppose but as I cant network at present I don’t want to go down that road until I can
I don’t use a USB cable on my printer anyway as it caused problems in the past so I went back to a ‘printer’ cable

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok what I was looking for was if we could diable the firewall on the HUB. By your screen shot you can. Please disable the Hub firewall.
Leave zone alarm off (I personally would get rid of it)

The Windows Firewall is always off as G2G advise its unwise to have 2 enabled
I have already (several times) turned off the Zone Alarm Firewall on both PCs (see my last post) – it makes no difference

Are you not running 2 the hub firewall & Zone alarm.
I am thinking we get rid of zone alarm - delete more so then off. although it is off it can still cause problems. If we get it to work with out zone alarm then the router firewall should be enough.
The IP address range is ok. since both computers can see the www then we assume that the ssid and chanel are set correct on both pc's and the unknown device is your X box. In the tab on the Hub Network devices can you click edit and let me know what options are listed.
Do you have the windows for both the home and the pro system. What I put in blue you type what I put in red you do.If you do have both disc then please start both computers go to Start>run cmd ok
this should open the command window at the prompt ensfc /scannow enter.
After doing this if you still can't connect to each other then we have to start looking at the computers.
For now this is just to think about. DO NOT DO ANY
1)We delete and reinstall the windows Network client.
2)We delete and reinstall the TCPIP client.
3)you won't like We connect both computers back together via a cross over cable.
My reason for this is I think you have an underlying problem as in your first post you could not connect both computers. If you have a true cross over cable then this should not be a problem. When daylight comes I will test it on my system - from memory it worked fine. Do you have a friend who owns a network hub or switch.
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
I just got your last post and I'll read it carefully tomorrow morning and reply in full then - I cant do it now

Are you not running 2 the hub firewall & Zone alarm

There is one thing I want to ask now - are you certain that the Hub firewall is capable of replacing Zone Alarm?
I have to admit that I hadn't realised I was in fact running 2 Firewalls :whistling: - do you know the expression "cant see the wood for the trees"?
Thanks as always

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
my personal opinon Zone alarm IS not worth the bother old bean

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm and thanks

my personal opinon Zone alarm IS not worth the bother old bean

I only installed Zone alarm beccause is recommended by the Malware Geeks :help:

Please disable the Hub firewall.
Leave zone alarm off (I personally would get rid of it)

I disabled Z A on both PCs and disabled the Firewall on the Hub (I unplugged it from the phone socket - I'm a bit cautious because I had Major Malware probs last year :whistling: )
I used My network places and Windows explorer but the PCs do not see each other
So I have re enabled the Hub firewall but left Z A off on both PCs I trust your judgement on this :blink:

The IP address range is ok. since both computers can see the www then we assume that the ssid and chanel are set correct on both pc's and the unknown device is your X box. In the tab on the Hub Network devices can you click edit and let me know what options are listed.

Here are screen pics of the 3 machines entries and one showing the drop down list available on each

Do you have the windows for both the home and the pro system.

I assume you asked if I have the CD for the two OS - I have one for the XP pro and one which came with the Dell which I think can be used to install XP home Can I tell by looking on the CD in Explorer?

What I put in blue you type what I put in red you do.If you do have both disc then please start both computers go to Start>run cmd ok
this should open the command window at the prompt ensfc /scannow enter.
After doing this if you still can't connect to each other then we have to start looking at the computers.

As I'm not certain I have CDs for both should I do this? This is a scan/repair request isn't it

For now this is just to think about. DO NOT DO ANY

OK I'll think and wait for your reply but as usual more questions !

1)We delete and reinstall the windows Network client.
2)We delete and reinstall the TCPIP client

Are these what are shown here?

3)you won't like We connect both computers back together via a cross over cable.

Do still have a crossover cable - on the pack it says its a "UTP crossover cable for networking" Cat5e. Cat 5 compatible. RJ45 connectors.
Why would I not like it ??? If this worked would we then be able to go on to wireless?

Do you have a friend who owns a network hub or switch.

No I'm sorry to say I dont my friends are not into computers. I'm retired and they say they are to old. :help:

I await your next post - is there a list you can give me of things to double check so that we are sure we haven't missed anything
What do think the problem could be we seem to be in the same position as when I asked for help last year.
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
I do not think the Dell cd will work.
1) Let's try changing in the dropdown list (the last lot of screen shots)from generic device to Desktop computer. (are both machines Desktops)
If not and 1 is a laptop then make it laptop in the listing if it has a save then save changes. Can you see the other computer.
2) in the same pic there is another drop down list it is showing connection sharing - ABC another bittorrent client what is listed in this drop down box.
Is ther anything under under that listing that I can't see from the screen shot
Cheers
Peterm :whistling:
Time for me to re read to see what I am missing