Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm many thanks - you must be getting fed up with this !!

I do not think the Dell cd will work.

I put the Dell CD in and got this screen - what do you think ?

1) Let's try changing in the dropdown list (the last lot of screen shots)from generic device to Desktop computer. (are both machines Desktops)
If not and 1 is a laptop then make it laptop in the listing if it has a save then save changes. Can you see the other computer.

I changed this to Desktop for both machines - yes they are both desktops
They still cant see each other in My network places or Windows explorer
The WWW still works on these settings so I've left both as Desktop

2) in the same pic there is another drop down list it is showing connection sharing - ABC another bittorrent client what is listed in this drop down box.
Is ther anything under under that listing that I can't see from the screen shot

There is nothing else under what you could see only the version number
This drop down list contains 126 games and services. The drop down only shows a few at a time so it will take loads of screen pics to show you them all
So here are the ones that might interest you - I expect there are games in this list but as I'm not a gamer - apologies

ABC (another bittorent client)
Bit torrent
Checkpoint FW1 VPN
Direct connect
DirectX 7
DirectX 8
DirectX 9
FTP server
FW1 VPN
HTTP server (world wide web)
HTTP server
IL 2
ILS server
Laplink
Links
Mail Server (SMTP)
Microsoft remote desktop
Microsoft terminal server
Netmeeting
NNTP server
NTP server
PC anywhere
POP3 server
PPTP server
RTSP server
Secure shell server (SSH)
Secure web server (HTTPS)
SMTP server
SSH server - secure shell
Virtual terminal server (TELNET)
VNC
WEB server (HTTP)
XBConnect
Xbox live

Well thats it for now - must go and cook our lunch !!
Thanks

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi chris
Yes that cd does look good.
The names you showed is all I need.
I am willing to keep going, My replies will be a bit slower comming as I now have to research deeper as to what could be wrong.
So don't think I have given up - just re reading and researching.
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

I am willing to keep going, My replies will be a bit slower comming as I now have to research deeper as to what could be wrong.
So don't think I have given up - just re reading and researching.

Thanks so much for that, its great to know people are willing to help you :whistling:
Hope the reading/research doesn't give you a headache
Look forward to your next post

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
When I asked you did you know the ip address for your hub you gave me this info
IP Address: 86.139.255.182

Primary DNS: 62.6.40.162

Secondary DNS: 194.72.0.98
Where did you get that from

Can you also do a ping test for me on 10.0.0.138

On your PC, go Start > Settings > Network Connections, then the icon for your connection to the Hub. Click on the Support tab, and see what IP address, subnet mask and gateway address you have
cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 26 March 2007 - 08:55 PM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
Thanks

When I asked you did you know the ip address for your hub you gave me this info
IP Address: 86.139.255.182

Primary DNS: 62.6.40.162

Secondary DNS: 194.72.0.98
Where did you get that from

From here

Is this what you really want - if it is sorry as I said I'm not at all up in this

Can you also do a ping test for me on 10.0.0.138

Results of ping test is the same on both PCs - as follows

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping 10.0.0.138

Pinging 10.0.0.138 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.138: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.138: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.138:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\>

On your PC, go Start > Settings > Network Connections, then the icon for your connection to the Hub. Click on the Support tab, and see what IP address, subnet mask and gateway address you have

Please see screen pics below

Thanks once again - I have a feeling that I've not helped you by giving possibly the wrong info re the IP address of the Hub - sorry

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
That last screen pic got sent in error its already shown above

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
You did not give the wrong info I just wanted to know where it came from.
Lets try something out of left field on the systemaxpc
go back to here (as per the last screen shot) Network propertites
Click on tcpip click on propertities click on use the following ip address
use for ip 10.1.1.39
sub net 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.38
Click ok the ok again can you still access the www
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

Click on tcpip click on propertities click on use the following ip address
use for ip 10.1.1.39
sub net 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.38

I did as follows on the Systemax >start > settings > network connections > right click for properties > in the general tab left click on Internet protocol (TCP/IP) > left click on properties > selected use the following IP address > inserted address as above. OK/Close

I then could NOT connect to the WWW :whistling:

I reverted to Obtain an IP address automatically and can again see the WWW

Thanks again

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
two more tries if your up to it.
can you try ip 10.0.0.137 or 139
subnet 10.0.0.24
gateway 10.0.0.38
can you get the www
also on the 4th picture here (this is where I get the 10.0.0.138 ip from) can you go back to there and on the 10.0.0.138 address click on edit
take a screen shot of what comes up then cancel out without changing anything.
The thing that is wierd is all the numbers look correct.

I will load another xp on my machine and run through the network wizard to see if something was missed
I suppose it was to long ago to remember what options yo chose when you set up the netwok with the wizard?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 28 March 2007 - 01:41 AM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm and thank you

two more tries if your up to it.

Yes I'll keep going as long as you're prepared to help me but I do think the weather in H.E.L.L. might be turning a little cooler !!! :whistling: (see your post #38)

can you try ip 10.0.0.137 or 139
subnet 10.0.0.24
gateway 10.0.0.38
can you get the www

I tried this (on Systemax) as you typed it but the system did not like your subnet entry So I used 255.255.255.0 and tried these combinations
IP 10.0.0.137
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway10.0.0.38

I COULD NOT get the WWW with any of these 4 combinations of settings

on the 4th picture here (this is where I get the 10.0.0.138 ip from) can you go back to there and on the 10.0.0.138 address click on edit
take a screen shot of what comes up then cancel out without changing anything.

Screen pic as requested

I suppose it was to long ago to remember what options yo chose when you set up the netwok with the wizard?

Well as they say on Monty Python "My brain hurts" so I hate to think what yours is like -- lol :blink:

The Network setup wizards are not quite the same on the two PCs (XP home and XP pro) but I think it was basically 'This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network' > Computer descrition and name page > Workgroup name > Turn on file and printer sharing > then apply the settings.

The XP home wizard (Dell) has selections before the 'Select a connection method' which refer to disconnected network hardware with the option to ignore these and then this one - see screen pic I selected other

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok when we tried this here Click on me
Did you use the cable that came with the router or did you use the cross over cable. I assume you used the the one that came with the router which is the correct one to use. Are both computers near the router ?
this is :whistling: this should work so easy I am thinking more and more it's to do with something outside the router.
Are the 2 computers still close enough to connect via cross over cable?
Lets try the cable into the router again please. Whichever computer is closest to the router can you plug it in (not the cross over cable)
Start the computer and do an ipconfig /all. If the ipconfig does not come back with ip between 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253
then go in my network places click on the local area connection click on propertities pick the tcpip click on propertities and choose
use the following Ip . then enter IP 192.168.1.70 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.1.1.38 click ok click ok
Can you still get the www. You said that you had the computer connected before via cable thats what I am hopeing for again.
My plan is to see if 1 computer can connect via the cable then we connect the 2nd computer via cable then see if we can file share.
If we can get that to work then we try step by step for wireless. If this does not help then we try crossover to elimate hub.
I may get you to delete zone alarm not just turn it off(but last resort).
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm and thanks
Well what a ****** nightmare its been - now the story

Did you use the cable that came with the router or did you use the cross over cable. I assume you used the the one that came with the router which is the correct one to use.

It wasn't the one that came with the Hub(router) but it's NOT a crossover cable - it was used to connect the Xbox and one PC before wireless

Are both computers near the router ?
this is this should work so easy I am thinking more and more it's to do with something outside the router.
Are the 2 computers still close enough to connect via cross over cable?

Yes they are within 5 feet (do you use feet and inches where you are thats approx a metre and a half)

Lets try the cable into the router again please. Whichever computer is closest to the router can you plug it in (not the cross over cable)
Start the computer and do an ipconfig /all. If the ipconfig does not come back with ip between 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253
then go in my network places click on the local area connection click on propertities pick the tcpip click on propertities and choose
use the following Ip . then enter IP 192.168.1.70 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.1.1.38 click ok click ok
Can you still get the www.

I chose the Systemax (the closest PC) powered down unplugged the dongle plugged in the ethernet cable and powered up. Everything seemed ok so I did an ipconfig/all which showed IP address as 192.168.1.68 but no WWW
Now things start to go wrong - I broke my golden rule DONT DO ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT TOLD TO WHEN YOU ARE NOT THE EXPERT
I thought I would try your settings anyway which I did - still no WWW access. Then a 'Help pop box' appeared from my ISP saying do you want us to fix your access problem. Now like a complete fool I clicked 'Fix' this then went though 'tests' and ended up saying we cant fix it !!!! -still no WWW
I then changed back the Network settings to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' switched off the Systemax unplugged the cable and plugged in the dongle. I switched on again and found I still no WWW.
At this point I found I could not get the WWW on the Dell either !!!! - I confess at this time the air was very blue indeed !!
Everthing appeared ok all the tray icons were ok so in desperation I used the installation CD for my ISP connection in the Systemax this went ok until during the checking stage I was advised that my either my 'wireless key' was wrong or my Hub(router) was unreachable. All lights on the Hub have all been ok thoughout this whole sorry tale - including getting the light come up to advise that a cable was in use.
I then powered down the Hub repowered it and much to my relief I got the WWW back on both PCs
The network connections window does however show the 'Internet connection' under heading 'Internet gateway' as disabled - this is I think the Xbox cable connection - I'll get my son to try the Xbox (on wireless) next time I see him (Soccer tonight!)

You said that you had the computer connected before via cable thats what I am hopeing for again.
My plan is to see if 1 computer can connect via the cable then we connect the 2nd computer via cable then see if we can file share.
If we can get that to work then we try step by step for wireless. If this does not help then we try crossover to elimate hub

I had the Dell connected by cable before I did not use that today as I was afraid of loosing the WWW. I was wrong anyway.

I may get you to delete zone alarm not just turn it off(but last resort).

That will not be a problem on the Systemax as its a 'free use ' download but on the Dell its part of the ISP suite of 'Procection' software but we can look at that later if you want.

All this does not help you at all does it - let me know what you want to do -any screen pics etc - do you want me to try the Dell on the cable again - not to happy with that one but if it eliminates something I'll give it a go.

Thanks for all your help I do appreciate it.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
my my my
Ok first thing read the 3 rules in my signature most imporant rule number 1.
I am back to thinking, all though by the results you may not think so.
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
Reply when you can I am prepared to wait and work at this for as long as you are able to help me. :whistling:

Ok first thing read the 3 rules in my signature most imporant rule number 1.

I dont think it was panic - well not a lot. More anger with myself for not doing what I was told to.
Have you any idea what might have caused this. Apart from my stupidity of course ! :blink:

If we go to a crossover cable will I be able keep the wireless going for WWW access while we test ( Some concerns here !)
Crossover could not be made to work before (see the thread last year ) and it seemed then that my 'G2G helpers' thought it could not be made to. Go for a modem/router seemed to be the answer and then all would be straightforward. This is not a criticism of anyone

THANKS FOR HELPING ME.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
That is normal for an ip conflict.
Rule 1) with networks if things loose connections reboot all equipment.
2) if last change still will not work then restore back to how you were.

If that cable was used to connect the Xbox & the computer it must be a cross over cable other wise they would not talk to one another.
to check get the cable and hold it with both release clips face down. Looking left to right are the wires in the same order
eg white,brown,blue,green,orange,white. (this is only an example not the correct cable colours) the point is are they the same from left to right. If they are then it is a straight through cable if the order is different then it is a cross over.
When you had the xbox connected could you file share?I know nothing about Xbox do not even know if they have a keyboard?I assume they have a keyboard. Do they have an operating system like xp that loads before the games or does it have it's own os?.
Check the cable you used last night against the one that came with the router and the cross over cable you bought.
Cheers
Peterm
PS
I asked another helper is turning zone alarm off the same as deleting it .

Zone Alarm has a client protection feature that loads whether the firewall is on or not. The best way around that is to just uninstall Zone Alarm and see if the problem persists...if not, install a different firewall. I have found Zone Alarm to be quite glitchy these days.