Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi peterm and thanks
What I see on my PC (Dell) does not match with what you just posted - Are you using Win XP?
I've done this Start > Network connections > right click on Wireless network connection > Properties I then get this pic

If I click on configure I get

If I click advanced I get

Just found this :- The only reference to 'Bindings' is in the Advanced menu entry in Network connections

Did you run the zone alarm network setup?

Not that I recall - I'm sorry to say I dont know what that is

On the Last pic you showed me you have the dellpc as 192.168.1.0/192.168.1.254 should it not be
192.168.1.167/255.255.255.0 Adapter subnet ? Iam just going of the pic from ZA web site Post 86.

I have not touched any Adapter subnet entries it must have been added when the dongle was set up
Here is a pic of the Dell ZA looks like I cut off one entry last time

Is this correct ?

The ZA on the Systemax is the same except the Subnet reads 192.168.1.64/255.255.255.0 is this correct?
ipconfig on the Dell reads
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.67
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

ipconfig on the Systemax reads
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Sorry but I'm rather confused to say the least - its best if you just tell me what to put into Z A :blink:

I say we unpack the Virtual PC you downloaded and install windows in a virtual format

I'm prepared to be guided by you for as long as you are prepared to stick with me :whistling:

Something completely away from the thread - I'm rapidly using up the allowed space for adding pics If I delete some of the oldest ones are they then lost from the thread or are they stored onto the G2G server ?

Thanks very much

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 03 April 2007 - 04:51 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
They look ok
OK in zone alarm where it has systemmax 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254 ip address can we add the systemax
again and have next to it 192.168.1.164/255.255.255.0 subnetmask.
What I am trying to get at is in the last screen shot MSHOME has 192.168.1.0 -192.168.1.254 ip range then under it
it has 192.168.164/255.255.255.0 subnet
can we reproduce this so the dell and systemmax have both listings????.
If Not then please change the 2 computers to adapter subnet 192.168.1/164/255.255.255.0 and192.168.1.167/255.255.255.0.
Does this make sense?? If not let me know.
If this does make sense and you still cannot see the computers on the network then I would like you to run the Virtual pc download. Just double click on the file and follow the prompts. Once it is on I will give you (I hope clear and concise) Instructions on how to load xp as a virtual machine.
Cheers
Peterm
Ps when you save your pics they should be about 60 - 70kb only

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello
Sorry but I'm more than confused I hope I've done what you wanted
I cant add a line for 'adapter subnet' as there is no option for that so I have used 'Subnet' this is what we had on both PCs

SYSTEMAXPC 192.168.1.0 -192.168.1.254 IP Range
SYSTEMAXPC 192.168.1.164/255.255.255.0 Subnet
Mshome 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.254 IP Range
Mshome 192.168.1.164/255.255.255.0 Subnet

They cant see each other so I changed 164 to 167 on both still cant see each other - why cant the Systemax see itself when the Dell can??

The IP address for the Dell in ipconfig is 192.168.1.67 so why arn't we using that on the Systemax to give the Dell access and not 192.168.1.167
The IP address for the Systemax is 192.168.1.64 so why not this on the Dell
Does that make sense?
If I ping 192.168.1.167 or 192.168.1.164 on either PC I get 'timed out'

I'll load Virtual PC when I can - got to go out now

when you save your pics they should be about 60 - 70kb only

Thanks I knew that but what about deleting older files to make space - will the pics be lost from the thread ?

You must have had enough of this by now give up if you want to
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

The IP address for the Dell in ipconfig is 192.168.1.67 so why arn't we using that on the Systemax to give the Dell access and not 192.168.1.167
The IP address for the Systemax is 192.168.1.64 so why not this on the Dell

Yes that is what you should be doing is using the other ip on the oppisite machine.

Ok when you have time run the Virtual pc download and I will send you the steps with screen shots so there is no confusing issues.
Cheers
Peterm
Ps
I will last at this as long as you will.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello I'm back again

Ok when you have time run the Virtual pc download

I've loaded Virtual PC on the Systemax
The CD I have is Win XP Home SP1 will I be able to update it to SP2 in Virtual PC

The current position on the PCs is ZA on both is set to 'High' for the Internet and 'Med' for the Trusted zone
ZA loads on the Dell at startup and is msconfig'd off on the Systemax

Z A on the Dell
SYSTEMAXPC 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.254 IP Range
SYSTEMAXPC 192.168.1.64/255.255.255.0 Subnet
Mshome 192.168.1.64/255.255.255.0
The dongle reads 192.168.1.67/255.255.255.0 Adapter Subnet

Z A on the Systemax
DELLPC 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.254 IP Range
DELLPC 192.168.1.67/255.255.255.0 Subnet
Mshome 192.168.1.67/255.255.255.0 Subnet
The dongle reads 192.168.1.64/255.255.255.0 Adapter Subnet

All 10 of the above are 'Trusted'
They still cant see each other and the Systemax cant see itself in Mshome
This is an 'Advanced' button in ZA > Firewall > Main does it help us at all ?

I will last at this as long as you will.

I hope you dont feel I'm in any way getting at you - its just that this seems to be going the same way as last time do you think its going to be possible ?
I'm really pleased that you are still prepared to help Thanks

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 04 April 2007 - 09:18 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok turn ZA on on both computers Can they see each other now ?
I can't see see a setting for that advanced tab in the manual. you can try unticking the filter ip on both machines and see if it makes a difference if not turn it back on.
Can you have a look in the properties of local area connection on both machines and see if they have the same things installed. eg Microsoft networks. file and print sharing etc etc
also please click on tcp/ip then click on properties click on advanced click on Wins tab what is ticked down the bottom
for netbios settings - Both machines

The CD I have is Win XP Home SP1 will I be able to update it to SP2 in Virtual PC

Yes.
Ok without moving computers about can the systemax plug into the router via cable. I was going to try wired 1st
But if it is not close enough then we will go the wirless route.
Why systemax can't see itself I do not know. If I get the virtual to work straight off then we may have to take your network stuff out (software wise) and reinstall it. It could be a corrupt file.
Can you still ping each computer?
I wonder if I get you to install netbios will that make a difference :whistling: thinking out loud here only

Edited by peterm, 05 April 2007 - 02:58 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok click on Start >all programs>virtual pc Click on New this will start a wizard.
1)Click on Create a virtual machine.
2)click on next in the name box put SystemacVPC click on next.
3)Use the drop down Arrow to change operating system from other to XP click on next
4)This will ask about leave the default option - using the reccommended ram click on next
5)Choose a new virtual hard disk click on next
6)Accept the defaults on this screen by clicking next
7)click on finish. you should now have a box like pic 5
If you have that then it is installed correctly. Click the red x to close it.
Cheers
Peterm

Attached Thumbnails

• VirtualPc_1.JPG
  • VirtualPc_2.JPG
  • VirtualPc_3.JPG
  • VirtualPc_4.JPG
  • VirtualPc_5.JPG

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi

Ok turn ZA on on both computers Can they see each other now ?

I've msconfig'd ZA back on again and rebooted - they cant see each other

I can't see see a setting for that advanced in the manual. you can try unticking it on both machines and see if it makes a difference if not turn it back on.

I've tried that - no difference - so its back on again

Can you have a look it the properties of local area connection on both machines and see if they have the same things installed. eg Microsoft networks. file and print sharing etc etc

They are not the same on both the Systemax has an additional entry 'Virtual machine network services' - would that be as a result of me loading Virtual PC yesterday? The other 5 options are all enabled.

Ok without moving computers about can the systemax plug into the router via cable. I was going to try wired 1st

Yes it can - do you want me to do this

Can you still ping each computer?

Yes I can ping both

Do you want me to load XP now?

Thanks

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

also please click on tcp/ip then click on properties click on advanced click on Wins tab what is ticked down the bottom
for netbios settings - Both machines

Sorry forgot this its the same on both machines Default enabled "Use NetBIOS settings from the DHCP server If static IP address is used or the DHCP server does not provide NetBIOS setting enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"

Enable LMHOSTS look up is also enabled

Thanks

PS

Do you want me to load XP now?

I meant to say do you want me to creat a virtual machine as in your post #97

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 05 April 2007 - 03:47 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
I want you to go through all the steps for setting up the Virtual machine as per my post.
Once I know you have the window as pic 5 (without the 98) then I will give instructions on adding xp software to the systemac virtual machine.

Lets try a quick one go back to the Wins tab in advanced settings of tcpip and chane to enable netbios( don't think it will change anything but worth a try to eliminate 1 by 1)both machines

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

Lets try a quick one go back to the Wins tab in advanced settings of tcpip and chane to enable netbios( don't think it will change anything but worth a try to eliminate 1 by 1)both machines

Did this - it made no difference - I left netbios enabled tell me if you want it changed back

I want you to go through all the steps for setting up the Virtual machine as per my post.
Once I know you have the window as pic 5 (without the 98) then I will give instructions on adding xp software to the systemac virtual machine.

I went through the steps but when I got to your pic 5 I found it was the same as your pic 4. I got the pic below after "Finish" and closed it on the 'X'

It could be a corrupt file.

This from your post #96
A final thought if you suspect a corrupt file had you thought of running 'scanfix' (think thats the right command)
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris

A final thought if you suspect a corrupt file had you thought of running 'scanfix' (think thats the right command)

I did
Back here
If you want to make 100% sure then burn any important data off the systemax to cd or dvd.
Ok that is what we wanted for virtual PC. Please remove the dongel whilst the machine is off.
There really is nothing to worry about if you follow the steps it will install windows on the virtual machine only.
Ok click on Virtual pc and click on start. You should get a message saying Non system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready.
Put you xp cd in the cd drive and hit enter. This should start the windows install on the small virtual window.
After it runs through some checks it will give you the screen to setup windows XP now press enter. Press enter.
Follow the bouncing ball. The virtual pc will reboot when you get the message to press any key to boot from cd leave it and windows will continue to load. When you get to the part of entering your computer name put systemaxVPC leave the password blank. When you first click in the virtual pc window with the mouse you will get a dialouge box. All this is telling you is that when you want to use the mouse outside of the virtual pc and in the real pc you have to hold down the ALT key on the right hand side of the keyboard whist you drag the mouse outside the window, when the mouse is outside the window then release the alt key. When you get to the screen asking about the network choose the 1st option and make the workgroup name MSHOME the computer will run through the rest of the setup and reboot. Whilst it is rebooting can you connect the cable from the router to the computer. Windows will now go through the last setup stage when you get to to part of how will the computer connect to the internet pick option 2. On the next screen pick remind me to activate in a few days. On the next screen put in a user name. You should then get the xp welcome screen. Eject the cd. Have a stiff drink :whistling: you have done it. Ok without loading any software from Bt can you surf the internet from virtual PC
If you can get a web page then close internet explorer. DO NOT LOAD ZONE ALARM ON VIRTUAL PC.
Click on start then shutdown computer this should shut down virtual pc. If all is ok then step 2
Cheers Peterm

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot001.jpg
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
  • ScreenShot003.jpg
  • ScreenShot004.jpg
  • ScreenShot005.jpg
  • ScreenShot006.jpg

Edited by peterm, 06 April 2007 - 02:10 AM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

Sorry I forgot about the corrupt file instructions :blink: - this thread is so long now - tell me if you want those instructions carried out.

I loaded XP HOME (as you had previously suggested) on the Systemax Virtual PC The process took nearly 3 hours.
Some of the screens were not the same as your instructions so I hope its all ok
There was no mention of setting up a workgroup so nothing has been done there
I was able to set up User name , Organisation, Computer name (no mention of a password), Set up UK english and GMT time zone.
I selected 'Typical' for network settings which Creates network connections using 'Client for MS networks' 'File and print sharing for MS networks' 'QoS packet scheduler' and the 'TCP/IP transport protocol with automatic addressing'
I did not turn on Automatic updates so we are still on SP1
I was able to select the second option as you instructed for how to connect to the Internet. I did not register with MS at this time.
I set up a name for who will use this PC.

I connected the Hub to the Systemax by Ethernet cable and was able to connect to the WWW on the Virtual PC - I cant connect on the 'real' PC anymore
The dongle is not plugged in.

Nothing has been loaded on the virtual PC.

Now for a beer :whistling: Thanks very much

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris

I cant connect on the 'real' PC anymore

Are you saying the systemax has lost the real windows? or just can't connect the www on the real pc?
If the computer still works can you start virtualpc and do an ipconfig.
Go to control panel my network places. On the left hand side view workgroup computers. Does the systemaxvpc show up?
Click on start right click on my computer click on computer name does the computer have a workgroup name
Is the workgroup name MSHOME. If it is not called mshome click on change and add the name mshome - exactly as it appears on the Dell.
Is there any chance of connecting the Dell into the hub so both computers are connected at the same time.Both via straight through cables. If yes can you connect them and see if you can see the Dell C drive from virtual pc.
Cheers Peterm
PS do you mind if I have Harp Larger (it's cooled)

Edited by peterm, 06 April 2007 - 02:53 PM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm
Did you enjoy the cold lager :help: - how hot is it where you are? - its just begining to warm up for the summer in the UK !

Are you saying the systemax has lost the real windows? or just can't connect the www on the real pc?

What I meant to say was I can see the WWW from the Virtual PC using cable but I cant see the WWW from the 'real' PC using cable.
Windows is ok on both - slow on the Virtual machine.
We seem to be able to confuse each other every post dont we ? :blink:

If the computer still works can you start virtualpc and do an ipconfig.

Results of ipconfig on the virtual pc are:-
Ethernet adapter Local area connection:
IP Address 192.168.1.66
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.254

Go to control panel my network places. On the left hand side view workgroup computers. Does the systemaxvpc show up?
Click on start right click on my computer click on computer name does the computer have a workgroup name
Is the workgroup name MSHOME. If it is not called mshome click on change and add the name mshome - exactly as it appears on the Dell.

The story is when I went to 'View workgroup computers' I got a windows info box advising that "advising that Mshome is not accessible and that the specified network name is no longer available"
So I continued to look at the properties of My computer The 'workgroup' name was "MSHOME" the 'Full computer name' was "systemaxvpc" but there was no 'Computer description' so I added "Virtual Systemax" The Dell 'workgroup' was also "MSHOME"
I then looked again in 'workgruop computers' and the "Virtual Systemax (SystemaxVPC)" appears there. I shared a couple of folders on the Virtual machine and THE TWO MACHINES CAN SEE EACH OTHER'S SHARED FOLDERS !!!!!!!!

Please advise what you would like to do next I haven't tried the cable on the Dell in case you wanted to think again first following this positive step :whistling:
I feel optimistic again
Thanks a lot Have another 'cool one'