Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
If the Dell is not connected to the hub and you can share files then that is great (half way there)and they can see each other(not just one way) which is also great. Just to be sure I have it clear. The systemacvpc is connected via cable to the hub and the dell is still wireless. We don't need to connect the dell to the hub then. If this is correct then I think the next step is to see if we can get the virtual machine to connect via wirless. If this works then we know that we should be able to do it via the real pc. How does this sound to you.
If all of this is correct then start the virtual pc and make a restore point then shut down virtalpc and real pc. Unplug the cable from the hub and computer. Start the pc and virtual pc and plug in the dongle. Does virtual pc pick it up. If yes do an ipconfig and try file sharing.
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

Just to be sure I have it clear.

The Dell is connected to the Hub by wireless and the SystemaxVPC is connected to the Hub by Ethernet cable.
I've tried again before doing anything else and the Dell and the SystemaxVPC can still see each other and file share.

I think the next step is to see if we can get the virtual machine to connect via wirless. If this works then we know that we should be able to do it via the real pc. How does this sound to you.

Sounds good to me
I've made restore points on the Virtual PC, the 'real' PC and the Dell.
Unplugged the cable plugged in the dongle Switched on and started the Virtual PC

Does virtual pc pick it up.

Doesn't look like it .The Dell and the SystemaxVPC CANNOT now see each other - the dongle activity led does flash while things are booting but 'Network connections' does not show a wireless connection.
I cannot see the WWW from the Virtual machine.

Thanks for your continued help :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
It's never easy.
Can you see www from the real pc
Did the dongle come with software
Ok on vpc go into the the properties of local area connections is the dongle listed (see pic in post 76 page 6)
If not then go into control panel click on wirless network setup wizard. The ssid is the same as what is on the dell and the hub.same with the key pick manual and add the key.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 07 April 2007 - 02:47 PM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

It's never easy.

Easy is a word we dont use in this thread !

Can you see www from the real pc

Yes using the dongle

Did the dongle come with software

Yes with a CD

Ok on vpc go into the the properties of local area connections is the dongle listed

No only the Ethernet card

If not then go into control panel click on wirless network setup wizard. The ssid is the same as what is on the dell and the hub.same with the key pick manual and add the key.

Did that using the SSID and the Wireless key (WEP) shown on the base of the Hub
The wireless connection did not appear in 'Network connections' and I could not see the WWW or the Dell so I restarted the VPC but I still cant see the WWW or the Dell

Sudden thought could this be because the driver for the dongle has not been loaded in the VPC!! It does not appear in 'Device manager' under 'Network adapters' and there are no 'USB controllers' listed either.
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Sudden thought could this be because the driver for the dongle has not been loaded in the VPC!! It does not appear in 'Device manager' under 'Network adapters' and there are no 'USB controllers' listed either.

Yes
I had hoped that xp would pick it up. It picks up most usb adapaters.
Please run the cd for the dongle on vpc.
What happens?
Cheers
Peterm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Now for the bad news VPC will not work with the wirless adapater(may be a way around it).
Ok so from this exercise we have learnt that you can set up a sharing network between 2 computers using the home hub.
So we now need to replicate this on the real pc. So I suggest that we start the real systemaxpc only and remove - uninstall ZA not just turning it off. If need be we can look at adding ZA later. The first step is to get the network running,Don't forget ZA is only an Alarm and you are going to look at the www maybe once or twice to make sure we are on track.
Once we can get the network between Dell and systemax working as it is between dell and systemaxvpc then we look at making the whole thing wireless(crawl before you walk).
Before you start the uninstall instructions turn ZA back on via msconfig reboot then follow removal instructions.
1) Start Systemax and uninstall ZA the link below will give you all the steps.
Complete uninstall ZA
2) Restart with the dongle in, can you get the www. If not please do ipconfig
3)can you file share - If not then please go to the properties of my computer and check that the workgroup name is correct and give the computer a name. Reboot does this make any difference. If Not
4) shut down systemax plug in the cable to the hub and computer. Does this help.
If this does not change things then I will give you instructions for removing TCIP Microsoft Networking etc and reinstalling.
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello peterm

Now for the bad news VPC will not work with the wirless adapater(may be a way around it).

From this I understand that you have found information that Wireless cannot be made to work on the virtual machine.
I have therefore not loaded the dongle software on Systemaxvpc as instructed in your previous post.

Before you start the uninstall instructions turn ZA back on via msconfig reboot then follow removal instructions.
1) Start Systemax and uninstall ZA the link below will give you all the steps.

I have msconfig'd ZA back on and using the instructions removed ZA "completely" from the Systemax.

2) Restart with the dongle in, can you get the www. If not please do ipconfig

Restarted the Systemax with the dongle in I CAN get the WWW

3)can you file share - If not then please go to the properties of my computer and check that the workgroup name is correct and give the
computer a name. Reboot does this make any difference.

They CANNOT see each other
I checked the properties of 'My computer' both show 'MSHOME' both have a 'Full computer name' and both already have a 'Computer description'
I rebooted - I can still see the WWW but they cant see each other.

4) shut down systemax plug in the cable to the hub and computer. Does this help.

I plugged in the Ethernet cable (unplugged the dongle) The tray icon shows "Acquiring network address"
They CANNOT see each other and the Systemax CANNOT see the WWW.
ipconfig shows IP address and Subnet mask as 0.0.0.0 Default gateway is blank

Thanks for your continued help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
If you have a look at the pic in post 76 page 6 it has at the top BT Voyger laptop adapter.
Then the last thing I can see in the list box is Aegis Protocol Is there another Adapter listed after that? if you have a look in vpc in the same area you should see that the adapter listed is different to BT Voyger laptop adapter. What is the name of the adapter listed in vpc and does that adapter show up in the list on realpc after Aegis protocol ?.
If there is another adapter listed with the same name as what is in vpc then we will remove the laptop adapter for now.
Once again my reason is to get a network going then looking at wireless
Cheers
Peterm
PS
I must try and see if I can catch you on line sometime

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

If you have a look at the pic in post 76 page 6 it has at the top BT Voyger laptop adapter.
Then the last thing I can see in the list box is Aegis Protocol Is there another Adapter listed after that?

There is one more item listed its - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

if you have a look in vpc in the same area you should see that the adapter listed is different to BT Voyger laptop adapter. What is the name of the adapter listed in vpc and does that adapter show up in the list on realpc after Aegis protocol ?.

The adapter listed on the VPC is - Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast Ethernet (This is the VPC on cable) Listed in the box below it are

Client for MS Networks
File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

On the 'real' PC the adapter is TE 100-PCBUSR 32-bit cardbus PC (This is the 'real' PC on cable) Listed in the box below it are

Client for MS Networks
Virtual Machine Network Services
File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v3.2.0.3
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

I must try and see if I can catch you on line sometime

What did you have in mind -The time difference is of course the difficulty
Are you in Australia ? if so you are about 9 hours ahead of me I think.
I'm usually on line between 10am and 12pm or 3pm and 5pm or 7pm and 10pm UK time.
Cant work out what that is for you as my head is beginning to spin a bit with this thread
Thanks again

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
no real need to catch you I just notice some times I just miss your post.
Ok can you have a look in device manager. Go to network cards and click on the + sign to expand.
There should be a listing for your wireless card and your cable card. If this is true then click once on the wireless card and go to the top of the screen and click on the second last image(computer with an x through it) this should uninstall the card. If it ask you to uninstall the software driver with the card choose Yes. It will ask do you want to reboot.
Choose No. Shut the computer down - Remove the dongle and start the computer. Go to device manager and check if
there is only 1 network card (the cable card).
Go to the properties of local area connection in network neighbourhood is the cable card listed at the top.If yes then plug the cable into the hub and the computer. reboot and do an ipconfig do you have a valid IP address. If yes can you see www, can you see the dell.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 09 April 2007 - 04:59 PM.

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello
I uninstalled the wireless card from 'Device manager' (wireless and cable were listed) it did not ask about drivers and did not offer a reboot

I removed the dongle and rebooted as you instructed and looked again at 'Device manger' only the cable card is listed (my Firewire card is still listed also)

I looked at 'Local area conection properties' in 'Network connections' and found the wireless car listed first under 'LAN'

I plugged in the Ethernet cable rebooted and ipconfig is as follows
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Subnet 0.0.0.0
Default gateway Blank

Network connections shows "Acquiring network address" I cant see the WWW and the machines cant see each other

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
In network connections do you have an icon local area connection. If yes then right click and click on repair.
Does this now give you an ip address. If not run create a new connection (listed on left hand side)
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 10 April 2007 - 12:51 PM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

In network connections do you have an icon local area connection. If yes then right click and click on repair.

I do have an icon which I clicked on and then 'Repair' and got this Windows pop up "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed
Clearing NetBT"

Does this now give you an ip address. If not run create a new connection (listed on left hand side)

No it didn't so I ran the 'New connection wizard' as instructed and restarted the PC
'Network connections' still shows "Acquiring network address" ipconfig is unchanged(shows 0.0.0.0 or blank). I cant see the WWW and the machines cant see each other
I'm now getting the Dial up window popping up which I used to connect to my old 4mg 'Dial up' Broadband connection should I delete this listing from 'Network connections'?

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
This must be driving you crazy.

I'm now getting the Dial up window popping up which I used to connect to my old 4mg 'Dial up' Broadband connection should I delete this listing from 'Network connections'?

Yes
1)also clear all the connections then run the wizard again. If that does not work then.
I think I am going to have to get you do uninstall the network card (software wise)and remove the clients and protocols
are you happy with this?
2) run scanreg /restore. Put your cd in the drive go to the command prompt and type scanreg /restore(note the space between scanreg and /.
Has any of this helped?
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

This must be driving you crazy

Just a bit

1)also clear all the connections then run the wizard again.

Do you mean the Dial up and the Ethernet card?

Thanks