Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
In view network connections

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello
I've deleted the 'dial up' listing and the pop ups seem to have stopped but I cant delete the ethernet card listing in 'Network connections'
I've run the 'New connection wizard' but ipconfig still shows 0.0.0.0 and I cant see the WWW or the other PC
I'll now run scanreg /restore and let you know what happens

I think I am going to have to get you do uninstall the network card (software wise)and remove the clients and protocols
are you happy with this?

Yes I'm as long as we can at least get back to this PC being able to see the WWW wirelessly

Thanks - I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause - there must be something wrong with one of my machines.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello again
The Win XP Pro CD is for SP1 I have SP2 now will that be a problem?
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
not really
Ok we know that the hardware is good - remember it works fine on VPC so all the hardware must be ok.
When you 1st setup the wirless connections did you satrt with one machine wired to the HUB ?
Please send me a pic of your network connections and the properties of the network connection
Cheers
Peterm
When we are finished we will have to build you an SP2 cd :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• Network_con.jpg
  • prop_network_con.jpg

Edited by peterm, 11 April 2007 - 05:18 AM.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello
Since my last post I checked the VPCand found I could still see the WWW and see the Dell
So on the 'Real' pc I 'played' around with settings in 'Local Area Connection' properties firstly adding an IP address/subnet /gateway in 'TCP/IP properties' using 'Use the following IP address'- the card then changed to 'Connected' but I could not see the WWW or the Dell
I then changed to Obtain an 'IP address automatically' but I could still not see the WWW or the Dell
I then compared the VPC properties with the 'Real' one and changed TCP/IP properties > General > Advanced > Options > TCP/IP properties > Unticked 'Enable TCP/IP filtering(all adapters)' I then could see the WWW but Not the Dell
Does this help at all :blink:
I'll run scanreg /restore and post the results

When you 1st setup the wirless connections did you satrt with one machine wired to the HUB ?

To be honest I cant now remember for sure - I've done so many setups since then I think I set up the Systemax on wireless first

Please send me a pic of your network connections and the properties of the network connection

See below

When we are finished we will have to build you an SP2 cd

That would be great :whistling:
Thanks

Just seen your edit but I dont think Its affected my response

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 11 April 2007 - 05:49 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

TCP/IP properties > Unticked 'Enable TCP/IP filtering(all adapters)' I then could see the WWW but Not the Dell

close but no cigar.
What is the 1394 connection ? can you delete it

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

I then compared the VPC properties with the 'Real' one and changed TCP/IP properties > General > Advanced > Options > TCP/IP properties > Unticked 'Enable TCP/IP filtering(all adapters)

Same place but go to the wins tab and enable netbios - click ok reboot can you see the dell

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi

What is the 1394 connection ? can you delete it

Its my IEEE1394 (Firewire) connection. No doubt I could delete it but I do want to be able to use it - I've disabled it for the time being-Cant see the Dell.

go to the wins tab and enable netbios - click ok reboot can you see the dell

Did that can see the WWW but cant see the Dell

run scanreg /restore. Put your cd in the drive go to the command prompt and type scanreg /restore(note the space between scanreg and /.

Start > run > cmd > scanreg /restore I got "scanreg is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"
Does this command work on Win XP with an NTFS H/D?
Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Put the Cd in and type sfc /scannow
Do you have a problem if all else fails we do a windows repair?
This will not harm any data but take windows back to square 1.
Do you have the disks for all the programs.
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

Put the Cd in and type sfc /scannow

Did this nothing was reported - can see the WWW but the machines cant see each other

Do you have a problem if all else fails we do a windows repair?

Just as long as we can at least get back to where we started - having read forums etc I'm concerned that this does have a habit of solving problems but causing a new set.
There is not much on this machine its main use was to be a back up for the Dell and allow dual access to the WWW (one out of two ok)

What in your expert opinion do you think the problem could be?

Thanks for the continued help :whistling:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
When I get home tonight I will send you info on how to remove and reinstall the TCPIP protocol
Cheers
Peterm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Please make a fresh restore point ( don't turn it off and on just a new point) then
Can you please go to device manager click on the + sign next to Network adapters pick the network card
and either use unistall on the top or right click and choose uninstall. It will give a warning please click ok.
Reboot this should force xp to pick up the network card again and reinstall all the protocols.
Please leave the cable plugged in.
Does this Help ?
if not then we will have to do a windows repair if you are ok with it.
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello
Did this XP found the card and reistalled it ok - I can see the WWW but the PCs cant see each other

On the Dell in My network places > entire network there are 3 options listed MS terminal services / MS windows network / Web client network would these have any effect on the problem?
Also if I click MS windows network there are 2 optins Mshome and Bt if I click Bt I get "Samba Server ( Thomson)" and that takes me to "Printers and faxes" any thoughts ?

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
No none of that should have an affect.
If any of those you listed had a bearing on the matter then vpc would not work.
1) I will ask Spacecowboy to have a look at this thread if no luck there then all I can think of
2) System Repair.
3) paralell install of xp
4) reinstall xp on top of it self.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 13 April 2007 - 06:49 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Please go to control panel > Admin tools>services look under windows firewall/internet connection sharing.
Is it started or stoped If started click on it once to highlight and right click and stop
any difference?
Can you ping each machine ?
Am I right to assume that since deleting the network card and reinstalling you have not forced a static IP and it picked it's own up from DHCP
Cheers
Peterm
ps
Is the systemax an upgrade from 98 or a clean install?

Edited by peterm, 13 April 2007 - 06:51 AM.