Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I create a network with 2 computers/1 hub

• Please log in to reply

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi there.

I am currently helping out a local business who have several computers on site. There is a cafe in the building which is also connected to the broadband network through the same hub as the ofice computer. All other computers in the building are connected to a seperate hub and have their own broadband line, so they have no effect whatsoever.

The plan is to connect both the cafe and office computer to a hub so that they both have internet access, as well as making it 'impossible' (if not, very difficult) for users of the cafe computer being able to view the office computers data as well as stop the cafe computer from being used for inappropriate use, explicit websites etc - which is easy enough to do in the web browsers options.

So, my question is how can I set up both pc's so they connect to the same router and both use the broadband connection, as well as the cafe computer being 'restricted' - ie. settings cannot be changed/programs installed etc?

Not really in-the-know of networks, so thought somebody might be able to help me out?

Thank you if you can!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First completely read all the instructions that come with the equipment you are using. Most network gear has a "home page" that can be accessed by the machines connected to it. The home page has links to all the configuration settings for the hardware and you can pretty much figure out what you need to do from there. So find out how to get into the home pages and if you have any further questions tell us what equipment is involved and ask us.