Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA with IED DRIVES VISTA BOOT OPTIONS

• Please log in to reply

Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Post #1
Hello,
Thank you in advance for taking the time and interest to help me with some computer issues and questions. I really appreciate it, and appreciate the work you have put into computers to learn, and gain the experience to help others. First so you know who you are dealing with, I have been gaming since about 1983 with a Commodore 64, and then a Commodore 128, and then I moved to a 286. I started with a 300 baud modem, and by the time I had a 900 baud and even an outrageous speed of 1200kps I ran a bulletin board and loved it. I have paid many people to fix my computers and watched them like hawks, asking every question I could think of. So I did tech support for Prodigy, and set up my own computer repair business out of my home. Since I was a Respiratory Therapist and an EMT I called it the PC MEDIC Computer Repair Shop. I am self taught, and know just enough to fix many things, and enough to destroy other things. I really wish my computer knowledge was better rounded.
SITUATION: I just bought Vista 64 Home Premium, and another 250MB hard drive, only this time; I went with a SATA drive. I am running on a crappy motherboard in my opinion which will be up graded in the next 3-4 months. I am disabled now, after 4 heart attacks, 2 Open Heart Surgeries, numerous angioplasties, and stents, plus a new pulmonary disease that has left me with “3-5 years” I don’t buy that, but sometimes doctors are right. My point being resources are almost nonexistent.
Motherboard: Chaintech ZNF3-250 socket 754 (I will get a new motherboard, CPU, and memory within 3-6 months.
CPU: AMD 64 bit 3400
Memory 1.5GB
Video: ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP with 512 ram
I have 2 hard drives via IED and 2 DVD burners the same. I also have an external drive via firewire in the ULTRA Mini Port Disk case which I love.
My computer and power supply are SATA compatible
According to the Vista Compatibility chart I make the minimal hardware requirements. Namely my CPU speed, everything else seems fine, and as I said in the near future I will upgrade. I just keep my existing system, but will replace the motherboard, CPU, and of course new Ram will be required. Too bad I have Corsair Gaming ram… Oh and a new [bleep] video card as well Dang PCIe & SLi ;-) What you want but can’t afford, wants versus needs…

QUESTION: Will my computer be able to handle, or any computer for that matter IED drives, PLUS SATA drives? Then I have my external drive as well, which I could get rid of. Or do you have to sick with one or the other. I’d also like to know if there is a program that will allow me to select the operating system, and if so how to go about it doing all this KISS, KEEP IT SUPER SIMPLE I was going to unplug my 2 IED drives, and try to install Vista on my new SATA drive. Then plug in the other drives. But I see a major conflict there. Is there an easy way to try VISTA on the new drive, and if I like it add my IED drives? Is there also a way to change or select the OP on boot-up just in case my CPU is not able to handle it, or my gaming pad (Nostromo N52) is not Vista compliant? Like I said I am handicapped, and when I do get out of bed, Battlefield 2142 takes away the time until my wife and kids get home. Otherwise I just lay there, remember my ER, EMT, being a man earning a living, going fishing, and SCUBA diving life, which is now behind me. I really can make time disappear with a good game such as BF2 or 2142…

Thanks I hope I am not asking the impossible, and jumped the gun on a bigger drive and on purchasing Vista.

I appreciate you greatly!

Mark
[email protected]

Edited by Rogue Warrior, 12 March 2007 - 02:51 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Rogue Warrior...

Piece of cake!!

Do you have the Sata drivers for your motherboard on floppy or cd...you'll likely need them? That's the biggie...the rest of what you want is pretty straight forward. You'll need to download and install VistaBoot Pro to modify the boot options, but this can wait until you have Vista installed. Make sure you have all your drivers located...you may even want to download the Vista drivers you need for your hardware now and burn them to a cd.

Remove the cables (IDE and Power) from the IDE HDD's and install the SATA drive in SATA connector 1. Install Vista and all the drivers to this drive. Once Vista is up and running, download and install VistaBoot Pro.

Shut the machine down and connect the IDE drives to the primary IDE channel with the one containing the extra operating systems on the master (end) connector of the ribbon. Connect the optical drives to the secondary channel with a DVD drive as master. Power up, let everything detect and install, then use VistaBoot Pro to add your other operating systems to the Vista BCD (Boot Configuration Data store) which replaced XP's boot.ini.

That shouldn't be too tough with your experience and VistaBoot Pro is very easy to use so there should be no problem there, either. If you need help or run into problems, give me a shout.

wannabe1