Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quicktime nightmare!

• Please log in to reply

superfox1

superfox1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, first of all, this is my first post on this site...hope to be a very active member!

Now on to the real troubles! (and I do mean troubles!) So yesterday I received a message from Apple software update informing me I needed to update my Quicktime and iTunes. As I normally do, I clicked the installer...after several minutes, it was almost 100% complete, when it stoped..gave me an error about unable to load. I clicked debug, it seemed to finish installing. When I attempted to click on iTunes, it gave me an error and said iTunes must shut down. Samething when I try to use ANYTHING Quicktime related (even going to apple.com would shut down Firefox). Ok, no problem, I'll uninstall it...no luck, Quicktime would not uninstall! After reading some posts on other sites, I went into regedit and deleted anything and everything that had to do with Apple and Quicktime. Now when i try to do anything with Quicktime, I get a "corruption error please contact ..." Also when I try to install iTunes again, it says iTunes requires Quicktime!

Now I consider myself to be pretty computer literate, but I have been attempting to fix this mess for about 18 hours!!

So I am beggin the Geek Gods to help!

oh yeah, I am running Windows XP sp2

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi superfox1, Welcome to G2G. Have you tried this yet?
SYSTEM RESTORE from safe mode
See if you can get in safe mode,try this
1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up
until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that
has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore From....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also try quicktime alternative...here try installing it..
its better than quicktime and has all the same functionality

superfox1

superfox1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info! I did try to do a restore, however, a few months ago, I got a nasty virus, when I went to remove the virus, I had to turn off restore...and stupid me for got to turn it back on!!!

I did get Qt back on the computer, however, iTunes is saying it is not on the system!?!

I am in the process of installing the QT alternative right now. I downloaded the earlier version of iTunes, so, I hope this will help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
let us know how it goes...