Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM help

• Please log in to reply

Geeves

Geeves

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
first here's what I currently have

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
768MB RAM (3x DIMMs of DDR 333mhz(2.5) 256*8) - thats what the sticks say
nVidia nForce2 chipset (from what I am being told)

I am looking to upgrade to 2GB RAM

A friend of mine said that all I would need are 2 1GB 333mhz PC2700 DDR sticks. so that is what I got.

The sticks read: 1GB PC-2700 DDR (8) 128X4 16C 022607

Now I put them in my machine and boot up, and it just beeps at me. I tried one of my old 256 chips and one of the new ones and only the 256 chip is recognized.

Did I get dead sticks? Or was I just misinformed on what to get? If I was, what SHOULD I be putting in my machine??

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

There's a few possible explanations for your problem :

Most likely - the chip configuration of the new modules aren't supported by your motherboard. The 128x4 spec means that the new modules use high density chips & your motherboard might not support these.

Also, if you have a big brand computer (eg HP or similar), then these tend to be far more fussy about the type of ram they'll work with.

Possible but unikely explanations :

1) Your system doesn't support 1GB modules. This is not likely to be the reason however, as normally the system will work, but it will recognise the modules as 512MB instead of 1GB for example.

2) The new modules are registered (buffered) ram. Unlikely because these are hard to get hold of, a lot more expensive, plus there's nothing in the model number to suggest that this is the case.

I suggest you try this :
Go to crucials website - www.crucial.com
Make sure you select the country you live in (i.e UK, USA or Canada) then use Crucials system scanner to find out what computer you have. If you have a big brand machine, then it should tell you the model of the computer. If you have a generic or custom built system, then it should tell you what the motherboard is. It will also give you a list of ram that your system supports.

If the system scanner doesn't work, then download belarc Advisor : http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html
Use this to find out which motherboard you have.

Whichever method you use, let me know what the motherboard is.