Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem w/ astro gateway recovery cd

• Please log in to reply

craftsman3002

craftsman3002

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I HAVE A GATEWAY ASTRO W/ WIN98. I WANTED TO RESTORE IT TO ORIGINAL SETTINGS AS I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST. I INSERTED THE RECOVERY DISK, CLICKED ON RECOVERY INSTALL AND IT STOPPED 76% INTO THE RECOVERY. COULD IT BE A SCRATCHED DISK? CAN IT BE FIXED?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can clean the disk gently with rubbing alcohol is it has contamination on it. Repairing major scratches is not possible. However it's important that your hard drive has enough free space on it to run the installation and that may be the problem instead.

craftsman3002

craftsman3002

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
TYGER, I TRIED TO BOOT UP MY GATEWAY ASTRO BUT IT SAYS INVALID BOOT DISKETTE. I CANT ADVANCE ANY FARTHER

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Do you have a floppy disk in the drive? That would cause that problem.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Or if you messed around with the BIOS :whistling:

craftsman3002

craftsman3002

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i dont have anything in the floppy drive

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Check your BIOS to make sure the CD-R is set to boot first. If that dont work, go back into the BIOS , there should be a option that says "Load BIOS Defaults" or something in similar.