Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express error number 0x800CCC78

• Please log in to reply

Cris21

Cris21

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am trying to use Outlook Express through both yahoo and gmail, and have checked the internet and do believe i have everything set up right, but just keep getting the same error saying the server rejected the senders e-mail address every time i try to send a message. This is my first time ever using Outlook Express. I have also tried setting up Incredimail a while back, but never got it working either. I found a website that said to check run telnet and then type in o localhost 25. I did that and it said could not open connection to the host, on port 25 : Connect failed. Would anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks so much to anyone that can help.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, Cris21. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

That error indicates an invalid address in the "Reply To" field. See Microsoft article 208814.

In OE, click Tools, Accounts, highlight your account and click Properties. Confirm the email addresses you've entered, especially in the "Reply To" field.

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have retyped my email address in all fields about 5 times and it still is not working. Thank you so much for your reply.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Specifically in the "Reply To" field? What about deleting the email address from that field altogether and see if you get the same error.

Have you ever been successful in sending/receiving email in OE with these accounts? If so, what might have happened between then and now?

Do you know which account is generating the error? Yahoo or GMail? I'm not familiar with setting up Yahoo through OE, but I do have a GMail account. I had some issues with the incoming and outgoing server names.

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I removed the reply to address and am still getting the same error message. This is my first time ever trying to use Outlook Express. I get the same error messages for Gmail and Yahoo.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Everything I'm seeing indicates a problem with the sending email account.

Let's try this:

Open OE, click Tools, Accounts. Do you see both accounts listed there?

If so, I want you to remove both accounts and start over, one at a time. So you'll need to have your account settings handy before proceeding.

Delete both accounts.

Click Add => Mail Account.

Set up one account only - you choose which.

Once you have the account set up, try a send/receive. You can send a test email to your other account. Did the send/receive finish without errors?

If so, set up the other account. Try a send/receive again. Did it finish without errors?

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I deleted the accounts and then set up my gmail only, but I am still getting the same error message. I am not sure what the problem is. I think i have everything set right. I guess it is not that big of a deal though. I still have gmail and yahoo for mail, so i really don't have to have Outlook Express. Thank you so much for your time and help.

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
My brother sent me a link and i got my Outlook Express working with Yahoo within minutes. Here is the link for the page in case anyone else comes across needing help with the same problem.

http://www.omduena.c...ahoo_email.html

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So it was a configuration problem? Did you get the GMail account working properly?

Edited by LindaGail, 20 March 2007 - 02:44 PM.

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I had to download YPOPs to get it working with Yahoo mail. I am not sure about Gmail. I have not tried setting it up again, but i think i will go ahead and try setting it up again and see what happens.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here's the link for GMail's setup information.

Good luck!

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried setting Gmail up again, but just got an error message from YPOPs. Thanx for sending a link. Im headed to go try it out. I will let you know how it all goes.

Cris21

Cris21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you so much. I went to the link and ran the auto configuration tool and it started getting mail from my gmail account. I am so glad i finally have both accounts set up now.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Good! Glad to hear it :whistling: