Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELL INSPIRON LAPTOP Power Problem HELP !

• Please log in to reply

GonePostal

GonePostal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
ok ,my daughter's laptop wouldn't boot even with the AC Adapter connected,I thought it was a Bad battery,I bought a new more cell battery plugged

it in overnight laptop booted fine this morning ,but showed only a 14min charge left,also battery indicator on front on laptop was flashing,and on

taskbar

It didn't show that the AC Adapter was connected even thought it was plugged in.after battery died let laptop stay off for awhile,but it's doing the

samething,fan turn on and lights flash for a second but shuts down.Will try it in a couple of hours a see what happens,,there aren't any lights indicating

that the AC adapter is plugged in either?

Is the Power adapter faulty,When I got the new battery it needed to be charged but the overnight charge only charge it enough for 14 minutes??

HELP !

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I recently had the same problem. I bought a new battery and a new charger. It wasn't getting a connection. I blew some air into the hole in the computer where the charger went and it now gets a charge. It may be having other problems -- hardware related. Not my area of expertise, but I just went through this whole process with Dell as well.

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
This is either a bad AC adapter or an issue with the motherboard.

Attempting to power up with a known good AC adapter will determine which one.

Inspect the AC adapter connector (the part that plugs into the computer) for any damage, and make sure that the single pin in the middle is not bent. If the pin is bent, the system may reject the AC adapter (the pin sends data to the mobo to make sure its the correct wattage).

Also, make sure the green light on the brick part of the AC adapter is intact.

If you wiggle the AC adapter on its flex point (very near to where it plugs into the system), are you able to get power briefly? If you are, it's likely the port on the motherboard is damaged..

Let me know if that helps :whistling:

PS also blowing on the port like mentioned earlier wouldn't be a bad idea, make sure nothing is stuck down there.

GonePostal

GonePostal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I had the PA-9 Adapter connected all night and it just tries to turn on for a second then immediately shuts down.

I don't have nother PA-9 Adapter yet,but I tried a PA-6 Adapter and it booted windows fine but showed the Battery at 0 Percent,also on the taskbar it

didn't show that an AC Adapter was connected.I'm awaiting another PA-9 Adapter to see what happens.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If you determine that the adapter is good and the problem is the jack on the motherboard, you might want to take a look at this:

http://defectivekit....-it-yourselfer/

edit....what brand/model laptop is this?

Edited by macten, 14 March 2007 - 09:17 AM.

GonePostal

GonePostal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's a Dell INSPIRON 1100 Celeron Model PP07L

Oh I guess I should mention because I don't think I did before,the battery charging light doesn't light when the AA.C. Adapter is plugged in.There aren't any lights lit on the laptop at all.

Edited by GonePostal, 14 March 2007 - 09:48 AM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The laptop should work without a battery in. If there are no lights then either the adapter is faulty, there is no power at the outlet or you have an open circuit on the laptop.

The outlet can be checked with a lamp. The adapter can be checked with a volt meter. And I posted an article on how to fix the jack. Something could be loose in the laptop. I'll do a search on your laptop and see what I can find. This might boil down to taking the laptop apart and re-seating everything. Sometimes invisable corrosion builds up and by re-seating something contact is re-established.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Still looking around but here's a manual on your laptop:

http://support.dell....en/i1100-om.pdf

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I suspect that this is a hardware issue but I'm going to throw a couple of things out there:

standard procedure for a laptop that won't boot: shutdown, remove battery, unplug. Press and hold power button for 40 seconds and release. Leave battery out, plug in and try and boot up.

I copied this out of the manual:

"If the battery is hot from being used in your computer or being in a hot
environment, the battery may not charge when you connect the computer
to an electrical outlet."

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
here's another link. They're talking about extreme heat shutting down your laptop:

http://www.danandshe...inspiron_11.php

Advertisements

GonePostal

GonePostal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, well a couple of months ago I originally replace the top half of the laptop because the screen was cracked,and recently replaced the keyboard

also replaced the battery with a new longer lasting battery.I have a voltmeter ,how to I check for power on the AC Adapter (+ ,- plug ) etc.??

The adapter light is a steady green.And like I said I'm awaiting a replacement for the PA-9 Adapter.

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

I had the PA-9 Adapter connected all night and it just tries to turn on for a second then immediately shuts down.

I don't have nother PA-9 Adapter yet,but I tried a PA-6 Adapter and it booted windows fine but showed the Battery at 0 Percent,also on the taskbar it

didn't show that an AC Adapter was connected.I'm awaiting another PA-9 Adapter to see what happens.

Since it did receive power from the second adapter, I believe that your PA-9 adapter is bad.

The fact that it did not charge the battery or show an AC adapter is likely because it's not the correct type of adapter. Like I mentioned previously, the AC adapter sends information to the system through the pin on the connector that tells the system what type of adapter it is. If you put in an incorrect or "unknown" adapter, the system will usually power up but not charge the battery.

You can check the status of your adapter in the system BIOS, under battery info. It will display the type of AC adapter on the top.

Let me know what happens when you get your new PA-9 Adapter!

GonePostal

GonePostal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes I Will Thanks ! :whistling:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
you've got to be carefull about using different adapters. they put out different voltages and currents. send to much current through a diode and it's toast. fry a 20 cent diode and your $1000 device won't work.

If you want to test an adapter (power supply) with a volt meter.....plug in the 'adapter' and set the meter to DC volts. Red (positive) goes in the center hole of the barrel thing that fits into the laptop. Black (negative) goes on the outside of the barrel thing. My Gateway adapter puts out 19.4V. Looking on the adapter itself....it says the output is 19V. So I'm good to go.....

GonePostal

GonePostal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks,

Yeah well the adapter I picked up on eBay they guy said it would work on the Dell Inspiron 1100 .

As it turns out the voltage is the same 20 Volt but the amperage is only 3.5A instead of 4.5 Amps