Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corru

• Please log in to reply

givelove

givelove

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A few weeks ago, my computer was working just fine. But one of my programs needed to shut down, which isn't a big deal, that one always ends up shutting down on me. So I restarted my computer, and all of a sudden my mouse wouldn't work.
I restart AGAIN, and now neither the mouse OR the keyboard are working.
I restart yet again, and I get the message;;

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I didn't have any type of disc that came with my computer to fix it. And I never made a backup disc because my mom told me it wasn't important. So, now I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose any of my files.
My friend tried to fix it by using a backup disc for Windows 2000, but it didn't work.

I can't bring up any prompt screens because my keyboard and mouse are not working.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm thinking that there is something more serious wrong with your machine, such as a failing hard drive or memory, corrupting your files. I would highly recommend running full diagnostics on both. If you have a floppy drive installed and know the brand of the hard drive go to the drive makers site with any computer and make a diagnostic floppy. If that check is OK you can also download memtest86 to a floppy and run it for several hours and look at the log to see the results. The sooner you make the correct diagnosis the least risk you run of losing the complete operating system and your files. You may be able at this stage to move your files to another hard drive with a newly installed operating, much later may be too late.

ntoskrnl is a very important file.