Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DCOM error and computer address

• Please log in to reply

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I am getting the following errors:

1. Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the network card with network address 0012F00570D0. The IP address being used is 169.254.43.165. NEXT EVENT: System detected that network adapter \Device\TCPIP_(FEC…..) was connected to the network and has initiated normal operation over network adapter.

2. DCOM got error: “Service cannot be started, either bec. It is disabled or it has no enabled devices associated with it” attempting to start the service “wuauserv” with arguments in order to run the server: (E6068….)

Information that may be of use:

1.My laptop has a wireless network connection (Road Runner) through a Dell router

2. I do not share my laptop with any other computer. However many event viewer events indicate that I have a lot of services that (to me) suggest are configured as though I am on a network (e.g. Remote access manager entered running state, State Server starts listening with 3 listeners, SSDP Discovery Service entered running state, network location service is running,) I'm afraid to disable services because I don't know what I need to connect.

3. In Network Connections, my 1394 Connection 2 (Net adapter 2) and my wireless network connection (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG) are connected. My Loacal Area Connection is unplugged (Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller) is unplugged.

4.In Wireless Network Properties ("WNP"), the intel pro/wireless 2200BG is the connector. The following are used: Client for Microsoft Networks, Trend Micro Firewall, Intel Wireless Connection Agent, QoS Packet Scheduler, AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v 3.1.0.1), WLAN Transport, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Under TCP/IP, General, "Obtain an IP address automatically" is clicked. Under Alternate Config. "Auto. private IP address" is clicked.

5. In 1394 Net Adapter #2, I am connected with the 1394 adapter #2. Client for microsoft networks, file and printer sharing for microsoft networks (which I have no need for?), and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) are clicked. Nothing else is there. Properties for TCP/IP are grayed out.

Any suggestions?

Edited by notsosmart1, 13 March 2007 - 12:25 PM.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I think that when your IP starts with 169, you're not getting an address from DHCP and your computer just assigns one. See this:
http://www.horizonte...cal_support.htm

Google on "IP starts with 169".

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you accessed either the router or modem's "home page" and put your login information in? Can you access the internet without the router in place?

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thank you both.

1. I have tried resetting the modem and releasing and renewing procedure to no avail.

2. I can connect directly to the modem only through a wired connection, with the same results. My wireless network connection indicates that I am always (as soon as I boot up) connected with an excellent signal. But initially, I have no connection. Minutes later, when the system realizes that I have an adapter to connect (see "NEXT EVENT" in original message), I receive an notice that I am now connected. Sometimes "Repairing the Network" works; other times it does not. This issue occurs EVERYTIME the PC is closed and in "stanby" mode.

3. Road Runner shows there is no problem and will not support a Dell router even thought the issue occurs with their modem as well.

4. Does the Broadcom connector in 1394 Connection interfere with the IntelPro Adapter in Wireless Network so that the system first reads the Broadcom one first, and then proceed to the IntelPro to connect. In 1394, why is TCP/IP properties grayed out?

5. Since Local Area Connection is disabled and my services all run on LAN have anything to do with it? (I don't understand this).

6. I believe I solved the DCOM error. I went to Tools, Interner Options, connection, LAN, and unclicked "detect auto. settings".

7. I have other "warnings' from the system that include handles with User Hive profile issue which the system remapps certain Registry entries (it corrects itself), and 'description event ID (0) for EVent Engineering cannot be found in order to display remote messages. But don't know if they affect connection.

3 months ago, I knew nothing about xp. I've come a long way baby. -:whistling:?????

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Let's focus on the wired connection first. Forget about wireless for now. Get this one working and then we'll know more. In fact, remove the wireless card for now.

If you can't release and renew, it would seem that your router isn't configured to assign IP addresses etc. since you say that you have it enabled on the laptop. The 169.x.x.x could be caused by this as well. Do what Tyger said and connect to your router and verify that it is configured to act as a DHCP server. To connect, check your router manual and see what its default IP address is and open Internet Explorer and type the address into the address field and hit Enter. You should get the router menu.

After verifying the DHCP setting, apply and save the settings (router will reboot). Do a Release and Renew. See if you get a different IP. Usually 192.x.x.x You should also see that DNS, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway values appear in ipconfig.

Note: If your router address is 192.168.0.1, you should receive an IP of 192.168.0.x. And your Default Gateway should appear as 192.168.0.1.

There's your assignment. ;-)

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Springer:

Thanks for keeping me focused. I have made the following discoveries. I think you're right about the router. See if you agree.

1. I went into Trend Micro firewall settings and changed the profile from "direct internet connection" to "new wireless internet connection". Next screen showed the device used is the Intel/Pro 2200BG, and IP address 192.68.2.1. I prompted it to "get" the mac address. The mac address started with an 00-90..... I did a "vulnerability test". The intrusion showed a Router with the same mac address. In Network Control, PcCillin had a New Rule that denied access to IP address 192.68.2.1. I clicked "Allow"

2. I went to "Run" typed "cmd", In prompt, I typed first "getmac". There were 3 entries. The 1st was "media", it was turned off. Then there were 2 mac address. The 1st is the one that thru Event viewer, System, eventually detected as the Network Adapter connected. Then I would connect. Don't know what the 2nd mac address is?? Point is PcCillin had a different mac address than these 2, BUT the IP Gateway address of 192.68.2.1 was the same as the one thru "ipconfig".

3. Device Manager shows that my modem is a "conexant". I have a new "Motorola" modem thru which I connect my phone as well. No "motorola" is found under device mgr. Is that anything?

4. The router's manual had no IP address or anything but installation instructions. But I have a disk. I'm afraid to establish a new connection with the existing CD. All I want to do is change the settings. Don't know what the Router's Wizard will do if it knows that i have the router connected.

Dell hooked up my wireless secured connection. Maybe I should call them. Does this information help? or what do you think?

Really appreciate your caring. I'll make a donation. Send me your address privately.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Springer:

Just got off phone with Road Runner. My wired connection directly into modem works. IT IS my router.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Thanks for the offer but it's not fixed yet. I suppose that you could donate to G2G somewhere down the road. :whistling:

You should be able to Google your router model number and default IP and use IE to connect to that IP and access the configuration screens. You're looking for "DHCP" settings.

The way it works now is: (roughly)

Your modem gets powered on and tells your ISP "Hey, I'm here. Give me an IP (and other info) to connect to the ISP".
Your PC gets powered on and tells the modem " Hey, I'm here. Give me an IP (and other info) to connect to the modem" and establish a link through it to the ISP.

We want to put the router in between the PC and the modem. When we do that we have to make sure that the router can make its announcement and GET the IP from the modem and also respond to your PC's announcement and GRANT it an IP. That's the job of DHCP. That's why it's important to see what's going on with the router. We're trying to establish a series of links.

Try the Google thing and let us know what you get.

Just re-read your posts. Connect your PC to the router and open Internet Explorer. In the address box (where you would type "www......" type 192.168.2.1. This should connect you to the router and open a config screen or ask for a password. The default is usually "admin" or no password. Don't just hit enter. Click "submit" (if it's there). It may take several seconds to see the screen. Look for DHCP and make sure it's enabled.

Edited by 98springer, 15 March 2007 - 08:17 PM.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
The issue is resolved.

I have checked the router's DHCP settings through its website (amazing how that works; password was already in). Thr router is fine. So I concluded that the most likely remaining problem is with the driver of the Intel/Pro adapter. After googling, I reinstalled the driver from Dell's site and set the power management and transmit power in its "Properties", "advanced" to the highest. So far, so good.

The only thing is in device manager, when the adapter's properties are open, I have 2 icon's (under tool bar) that show 2 monitor icons?: One has an an "x", the other has a crossed 0 (disabled). Is that anything?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
"One has an an "x", the other has a crossed 0 (disabled). Is that anything?"

Sounds like Tic Tac Toe. :whistling:

I guess you just went nuts and fixed the thing! Good deal.

Leave the questionable devices alone for now. They don't seem to be hurting anything. Probably created during your troubleshooting.

Congrats!

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
springer, you're awesome. Without you, I would have never known how to eliminate the router as a cause. It's too irresistable for me not to mess with stuff even when it works fine -:whistling: Ifigure: Break it, fix it, then you learn haha.

Most importantly, you hung in there with me till the end. Many times, G2g's experts respond once and never again thanks plenty.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined. :whistling: