Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003 - mail

• Please log in to reply

Meganolia

Meganolia

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have tried to log onto my Outlook 2003 for sometime. I found this forum and thought maybe someone could help me. I have tried to take the advice of many help sites to no avail.

When I click Send/Receive Mail, I receive the following message:

You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation.

Thank you in advance,
Megan

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, Meganolia. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

In order to resolve your issue, I'll need some additional information.

First, is this a home computer or office computer, possibly on a domain?

What is your operating system?

Meganolia

Meganolia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I use this at home. There is no network. I am using Windows XP.

Thank you.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. Has Outlook ever worked for you? If so, what might have happened between then and now?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Meganolia, please list briefly the other things you've tried to correct the problem. Thanks.

Meganolia

Meganolia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, it use to. But I continually got these annoying "put in your password" boxes and it was nerve racking. So I reinstalled the entire Outlook software, but that has been several months ago. I have just now gotten to working on it.

THanks.

Meganolia

Meganolia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello again! :whistling: I looked under properties and edit options. Nothing shows that I would "need permission" to do anything. I have opened up my old archives and added the contacts (sorta combining then and now).. so, did I carry over some kind of preference? <sigh> thanks!

Meganolia

Meganolia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have right clicked all the folders under Folder List and there is nothing to click about "Sharing".. so there's no permission issues that i can see?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm thinking perhaps somehow your mail profile has gotten befuddled. You'll need to have all your email account settings handy to set up a new mail profile.

Close Outlook. Click Start, Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles. On the General tab, click Add to create a new e-email profile. Give the new profile a new, then click next until you get to the Server Type screen. Check your e-mail type. Fill in all your e-mail account settings. When you get back to the General tab, change Outlook's start-up option to "Prompt for a profile to be used". This will ensure you start with the new profile when you re-open Outlook. If you're not prompted, reboot and then open Outlook.

Are you able to send/receive without errors?

If your email is working, you can delete the old profile (back in Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles), and you can open or import your old PST files. I'll be happy to provide instructions if necessary.

Meganolia

Meganolia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey Linda :whistling:

I did your information to the "T". I used the new one and the same message came up.

Suggestions?

I can't send, receive - anything. It just shows nice software with no functions.

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So you opened Outlook with a brand new profile and got the same error?

Are there any error numbers included in the error message?

Please check the Event Viewer for additional information. To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer. On the left side of the screen are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any events that are listed as Warnings or Errors, that also have a date and time that correspond to the error. Once you have an event open, you can click the "copy to clipboard" icon (just below the down arrow) to copy the error text, then you can paste it in a reply to this thread.

Meganolia

Meganolia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Wow! I thought I knew a great deal :whistling:

How do I copy what is there? there is no option to open? or Copy into the clipboard. There is refresh and view and that's about it?

Thanks!

Meganolia

Meganolia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
"Are there any error numbers included in the error message?"

No... there isn't. Just says "Microsoft Outlook" on the title bar and then that message.

Meganolia

Meganolia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay.. under "Security", it says: Primary Domain is NT Authority. ??? is this suppose to be there? isn't NT a network? This is Dated January 2007 and that's around the time I installed Outlook...??

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
With an Event open, there should be an icon just beneath the down arrow. It looks like two sheets of paper sort of overlapped. That's the "copy to clipboard" icon.

You said you just installed Outlook in January. Is your Windows User Account in the Administrator security group? Have you changed User Accounts since you installed Outlook?

Let's try adding a new Windows User Account and see if that has any affect.

To create a new user account:
  • Go to Control Panel.
  • Click User Accounts tool.
  • Select the Create A New Account link.
  • Give the account a name and click Next.
NOTE: Ensure that the account type is Computer Administrator (You can see the option button displayed in the process.)
  • Click Create Account button.
  • Reboot the computer. Log in with the new user account.
Now, open Outlook and configure your email account. Are you able to send/receive email now?

We'll come back to the Domain NT Authority event later.