Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Terrible Internet Connection - Help!

• Please log in to reply

p8ball4life

p8ball4life

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey. I have recently been experiencing terrible connection rates when it comes to my internet. Streaming music cuts out from time to time, pages take forever to load (about 30seconds), and my ping within multiple games is incredibly high.

I initially thought the problem was malware, so I went through the steps in the malware forum to remove these things, and it did indeed remove about 50 items. It seemed to clear up my connection for about a day, but now it's back to being terrible again.

New scans and searches return a virus free computer, so I am at a loss here.

I have updated my drivers for my ethernet pci card, but I have not been able to test my cable yet. IT department swears the problem is on my end, so I'm not sure what to do here.

My motherboard does have on-board ethernet, but the same problem persists with that as well.

Is it possible I have a problem with the way my packets are being sent that was corrupted by the malware?

Sys Specs:
Motherboard - MSI K7N2
CPU - AMD atholon 2500+
Memory - Corsair 1g (2x 512) Dual Channel 400mhz ddr (PC 3200)
Hard Drive - Maxtor 180g 7200 rpm
Graphics - ATI Radeon 9600xt
Ethernet - Realtek RTL8139 Family Fast Ethernet NIC (PCI) or Nforce2 Onboard Ethernet
O/S - XP sp2

Please help!

Advertisements

Travis Longley

Travis Longley

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
It sounds like a virus or malware. Go get avg free here>click and download the avg free version. Once you do that do a full system scan! And it should work.