Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive Instalation disk?

• Please log in to reply

JSlayer

JSlayer

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s HD from Newegg, but its the O.E.M. version so it didn't come with an install disk. I also bought a 400GB Ultra ATA/100 Seagate drive maybe a year ago. That was a retail version so it came with a disk. My question is, can I use the old install disk from the Ultra ATA/100 HD to install my new SATA II drive.

If the answer is yes I will be amazed, but in either case is there a better way to install this drive (safer, smarter, easier)? This is a brand new build so there is no operating system on it yet. I bought XP SP2 so that I wouldn't run into the 137GB limitation, but if the drive has to be formated before I have an O.S. installed will I still run into that 137GB barrier? I read a post from someone who said once you get XP SP2 installed you can then go back and partition the rest of the drive, but I don't want to do that. I'd like to have an unpartitioned single 320 GB HD. Someday when I finish learning about RAID setups maybe I'll put in a second HD, but for now I'd just like to get my computer up and running.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

JSlayer

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need any drivers for hard drives and you haven't needed any for, well, years now.

The only driver you may need is the floppy SATA driver which you specify with F6, and this usually comes with the motherboard anyway.

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

You don't need any drivers for hard drives and you haven't needed any for, well, years now.

:blink: Ummmmmmm........yeah I knew that! :whistling:

Serves me right for not reading more. I'm so caught up with trying to get this thing together and working that I neglected to try finding the answer on my own. I apologize for not looking into this more on my own and I thank you for the information.

Jslayer