Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"page cannot display" on secure web pages.

• Please log in to reply

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a Windows Xp home edition,so I beleive I should post here
6 Days Ago I had Road Runner Installed on my computer.I now have internet explorer 6.
Now I am unable to open any secure webpages like yahoo log in,ebay log in ETC.

I searched this forum before I asked this and found lots of people having the same problem,but not a whole lot of answers, so I had to ask here.

I tried adding yahoo to my trusted sites,it did not help.I deleted the temporary files and cookies,it did not help.I made sure all my security settings was set to default.I made sure SSL 2.0 and 3.0 was checked as well as TSL 1.0. I have tried disabling third party browser extension.I also have ran a sfc /scannow and after it finishes checking the files,it disappears, so i guess everything is okay.
I am not sure what to do now,just want to fix the problem.

For the record,I have Spyware Wizard to protect my computer,an.

When I first started having this problem,it said "page could not be found" but after I uncheck "enable third party browser extension" it started saying "page cannot be displayed".

Any suggestions? Thanks very much in advance.

Advertisements

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Possiblity of a problem on the router's end of things if you are using one.

Try to connect your computer directly to your modem and see if that changes anything.

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for replying...
Now exactly sure what you mean by router,but I guess you mean this little peice that is sticking into my port?

I have a wireless road runner connection,as my modem is hooked up to the only cable hook up in the house,which is in the living room.It would be very hard unhook everything my room and take it into the living room.

Is this what you mean by the way? Any other ideas?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try Mozilla firefox to see if its just Internet Explorer.

You may need to update your java to the latest version.

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Many high speed connections are set up with a cable modem plugged into a router. The router (like a traffic light for internet activity) sends data to the computers connected to it.

It sounds like you have a combination of the two (popular recently).

What I was thinking is that sometimes the built in firewall on the modem/router will block the secure connection ports. If possible, try to test things out with your computer set up as the "DMZ Host." This way the router will not block any ports to your computer but send everything straight through.

Also, any internet security programs (norton/mcafee) might be interfering. Test it out with those programs temporarily disabled.

Also, while your IE seems to be set up well, make sure that the content advisor is disabled (the button should say "enable.."), and that cookies are set to "medium."

Cheers!

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the replies.
While searching,I found a page that said many times Norton Internet Security will block secure sites.I was told to open up Norton internet security,and click on personal firewall,and change something.When I tried to,it kept trying to install something,and was having problems(not sure why,I have had NIS on my computer for the last year now).I was told to uninstall it and then reinstall it(by Norton themselve,a little message popped up telling me to do so).Well I uninstalled it, and when to all the secure sites,and got in no problem.So I am going to have to say that Norton was the problem.

Now I am not sure If I should Re-install it or not? I have spyware wizard full protection,which I bought when I had road runner installed,but I am unsure if it just scans for viruses and such,or if it protects me the whole time I am on? Does anyone have any experiene with Spyware Wizard? Should I re install Norton Internet Security?

Hope someone can help steer me in the right direction.Thanks.

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
AVG

free.grisoft.com

I've been using it for years. It's very secure and MUCH MUCH less intrusive than ugly norton.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try firefox first. Firefox is safer.

Get it here.

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks to all of you.
I guess I will give Firefox a try.

Is there anyway someone could make this a sticky OR just make a sticky about Norton Security being a possible reason for not being able to display the secure pages?

I say this because after searching at this forum,another forum(bleepingcomputer.com forums) and searching at google, it seems to be a problem that many have.I tried multiple things before I uninstalled Norton,and I also found alot of messages that said things like "I tried all of them and none would help".

For the record,I was told that sometimes uninstalling Norton does not help,that you have to go to the Norton security and change the settings in your personal firewall,but it worked for me.

Thanks again.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Glad you fixed it :whistling: