Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Temp Question

• Please log in to reply

Rookie Builder

Rookie Builder

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
As my name suggests, I'm a newb... I built a system last summer, thanks in large part to help received in these forums!! Anyway, I'm going through a tweak guide which had me in the BIOS settings where I noted that my CPU is at 48 or 49 C while essentially idleing... that seems high. Got me thinking this may have something to do with crashed I have experienced lately during gaming.

What should the temp be? What can I do to lower it?

Have an Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4, Corsair XMS DDR2 (2Gig)

Thanks!

Advertisements

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
While 50C is not a critical temperature, if it is that high while idling it is likely going tobe an issue under full load. Most CPUs will shut off between 80-100C.

As far as lowering the temperature, try taking a can of compressed air to the inside of the system to remove any dust, especially any that may be on the processor fan.

Other than that, purchasing / installing additional fans is the best way to do it. If you don't want to tackle installing a new processor fan(which I would higly recommend, as the stock CPU fans are not great); a good option for general cooling is to get a PCI slot fan. They run about 10$

Cheers

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-Rookie Builder-[CPU Temp Question] 13th MAR-2007

Download free Speedfan- Temp/Fan Speed/Voltage Utility -
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

You can also search your motherboard CD – I think Athlon has a Probe Monitor Utility for Temp-Fan Speed & Voltages – that is good – You probably have some fan control in BIOS under Hardware Monitor section – where you are monitoring your DOS CPU Temp –

The temps in the DOS environment may be higher than when in Windows environment. Usually the fan will be running slower in DOS. Fan Speed is under BIOS set speed control. True the CPU may be working less, but you may have less cooling also – Use speed fan to see what temp is when in windows. Then we will discuss cooling –

Use the utility in the Windows environment to – establish a Temp/Fan speed baseline for – CPU Idle - - -and - - - CPU 100% usage - - -Record & check periodically for changes -

I only consider the temperatures as a relative value – The temp is dependent on – Sensor type used – placement of sensor –motherboard temp support – some motherboards are better than others – CPU will have sensors placed in different places – some will measure CPU Case & some measure heat sink – Actual value may not be correct – but how much it rises will indicate cooling effectiveness –

The biggest problem is – Dust buildup in the CPU Heat Sink Assembly – It can clog the fins pretty bad & prevent the heat from being exhausted out – The application of the thermal paste is a factor also – Too much or Too Little can affect the heat transfer – Also some CPU have protective covering that needs to be removed, before installing heat sink – Fan should be blowing down towards CPU & blowing the hot air out the side fins –
This is usually a problem after the PC is 1 ½ years to 2 ½ years old.

Establish the baseline – then we can analyze/discuss that -

Jack123