Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant turn off the computer

• Please log in to reply

Bhost

Bhost

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Here are the specs of the computer myself and a friend put together for the ball and cha...err wife aka better half.

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS
MSI K9N Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra
XFX PV-T71G-UCF7 GeForce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCIEX16
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 (PC2 6400
Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU ATX12V 600W
WD Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
NEC 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write
AMD 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz AM2

My issue - We put this system together around mid december of 06 and had been running pretty good until the end of January or so. The damned thing wont let you shut it down. You have to hold the power button in. I had to turn the screen save mode off because when trying to click the icon to show the desktop, it would just freeze.

I have a limited knowledge and with that limited knowledge I swapped hard drives to an older model of what I displayed above and reformatted it, updated all drivers and window patches etc. I am having the same exact problem and now my daughter is w/o a computer

Although no one has any proof that it is a MB issue, people keep saying that is what it is. I have had one other person say it is a windows issue with one of the updates probably got corrupted???

I have no idea. I bought all of the hardware off of New Egg and all is retail. I like sex, need to get my wifes system back up to full specs. Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to set bios to deafault values. If this doesn't help unplug the computer from the elctricity, open the box and carefully take out the cmos battery. Keep it out for about 20 minutes. Place it back, connect power and boot up. A checksome error may show up. To fix it re-enter bios, set date and time and reboot.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Also, do you may happen to have Norton Antivirus?

Bhost

Bhost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I dont have Norton loaded on that comp.

I will try and set the bios to default values. If this does not work, I will try the other thing. THanks for the feedback guys. If those 2 things dont work. What else do you think the root of the problem could be?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
It might be a software problem. What kind of software do you have installed?