Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Chk Disk Runs every time i start

• Please log in to reply

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Thank you, i will have a look, i don't remember seeing an IDE on my motherboard when my SATA drive destroyed itself! i will try tonight and let you know what i dicover!

Thats a point!

My SATA drive was cause BSOD and i was adviced to replace it because some bad sectors, would ScnDsk have fixed it for me? it weren't a cheap HD, 250gb Western Digital! 2 weeks outside its warrenty!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The whole idea of checkdisk is to locate and repair bad sector. If not succeesfull the computer "mark" them as bad sector and will not approach them again. Some files, partly located in theses sectors will become unavailable or corrupted.

If checkdisk doesn't succeed I would recommend a low-level format. This is a process which sets the entire disk to zeroes. After doing this you have to format in the ususl way to recreate MBR, partition etc.

Save your data before taking any action.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
thanks

So on my old SATA drive, which i formatted four time in 3 days because the same problem, its definatly dead.

I will run ScnDsk all night, let it do its thing! if i get into windows, i'll do all the usual checks!

i'll let you know the outcome tomorrow!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It is possible that the disk is damaged beyond recovery. You can still try the strongest weapon in the arsenal, low level format. It's a very long process and if you do it let it run overnight.

We will appreciate you sharing with us the final results.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
after telling the guy to leave it running it all now works fine, i went round his house last night to fix it, but he had already done it, so i ran all my usual checks and there was nothing bad!

thanks for everyones help, i'm now in good with the management team at work! :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.