Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replaced HTML file icons

• Please log in to reply

ugroove

ugroove

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Im having a problem with my PC lately, my icons that points to html files has been replaced with windows generic icons, the one that has a small picture in the middle. I can still open the html files though, but its kinda irritating seeing them looking like that. I suspect a virus, because I did a full system scan last week and found a redlof in my system, the anti virus was able to do its job (i think) because i did another scan last night and it didnt found any.
Is there any way to restore my icons? Any help is greatly appreciated ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
several ways.

1) install an alternate browser (mozilla firefox), let it become the default browser, then load IE again, and allow it become the default browser again.

2) Open explorer, go to TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > choose FILE TYPES tabs, scroll down to HTM and HTML extensions, select one, choose ADVANCED BUTTON (if present) and then change default icon, or if ADVANCED is not there, choose RESTORE button (they swtich, depending on what your default program is.)

Open the registry....this is more complicated....try the other two first

ugroove

ugroove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply gerryf. I have already tried the other 2, but sad to say it didnt work. Can you teach about how to do it in registry?
Thanks in advance