Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Setting up Printer sharing XP home

• Please log in to reply

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have two computers. Computer 1 has a HP laserjet 4 plus on lpt1. On computer1:- I have in the printers and faxes, clicked share this printer. Computer 2:- I have from printers and faxes, Add A Printer,from add printer wizard, I select A network printer or a printer attached to another computer, click next, I select Browse for printer, click next, searching for printers, in the shared printers all I have available is Microsoft Windows Network. I have no idea what to do next. My wireless setup is via a BT Hub. I also have the supplied Norton Protection Centre that comes with BT Yahoo. Any ideas

Advertisements

teleblock_4u

teleblock_4u

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
This should be in the "networking" section of the forum.

Removing existing connections then set up a "office or home network"

from there follow the wizard at a point it will ask you if
i) you would like both computers to have internet access
ii) you would like both computers to have access to the printer

hope this has helped

matt

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi Matt, I'll repost. In answer to the questions, I connect both Computers through a BT supplied Hub via PCI cards ie wireless not cabled. I never get ask by the wizard as far as I can see the two questions you have posted. Both Computers have access to the internet via the Hub, and Yes I would like the second computer to have access to the printer that lives on LPT1 on the first computer. At the add Printer wizard, after scanning for shared printers I only get Microsoft Windows Network, no attached printers.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What firewall are you using? If it's any other than microsoft try to disable it and re-search the printer. By your description you did everything correctly.

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi Sceptic, I have installed the Nortonprotection that comes with BT yahoo. I have turned Off on both computers Auto protect, and Personal Firewall. I still can't see on the second computer the printer, in fact after the browse for printer, in the shared printers box al I have is the Microsoft Windows Network, but no printers. Any thoughts