Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Got the BlueTooth Blues

• Please log in to reply

JSZ

JSZ

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have tried, unsuccessfully, to install a Kensington Bluetooth USB Dongle on my desktop machine. After over an hour on the phone with their tech support, I was told to return the unit to the retailer, which I did. To shorten this part of the story, the new one - now in my posession - installed just fine, and works just fine, on my laptop.

On the desktop, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software that comes with the adapter. I have obtained the newest versions of the Widcomm drivers and software (v5.something).

It seems as if I am getting closer to success, but I am not there yet.

The device finally shows up as installed and working correctly in the Device Manager. However, I have to do a "Scan for Hardware Changes" to cause the blue LED inside the adapter to illuminate.

The Bluetooth icon in the system tray is always red on a blue background - never white.

Right-clicking that icon opens a menu box, with the bottom menu item being "Bluetooth Device Not Found".

When I try to run bthprops.cpl, nothing happens. I cannto determine if there is a relationship between this last issue and the larger problem with the dongle.

I don't know what steps to take next. Anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks in advance!!!

JSZ

Edited by JSZ, 14 March 2007 - 06:06 PM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-15thMAR-2007

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to install a Kensington Bluetooth USB Dongle on my desktop machine.

Need full details of Desktop

1. Manufacturer – Model # CPU –Motherboard –
2. Need website of PC & motherboard so I can research
3. Operating system + Service Pack
4. Age
5. Kensington Bluetooth USB- Type of Port connection - USB

installed just fine, and works just fine, on my laptop.

Need same info on Laptop will be needed – even though you were successful with it – I need comparisons

What information is on this – dongle plug – if one PC is a Dell PC – and the other is not – might be an issue?? if desktop is another make –

The dongle is usually for security issues – might have to ask tech support {??]

1. ask about sharing between PC – That may be the job of the Dongle – IDENT -
2. any security clues/pitfalls
3. go to their website – look at FAQ – may find clues there -

I need PC details in order to help further - How long have you been working at this – if you have some history to share – then give a brief description – save me time if I know what you have done/tried –

The hardest part of helping is establishing a starting/origin place – Did support give any explanation of why dongle was replaced – sounds like info I need –

Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Greetings, Jack:

Here is what I can tell you.

Both the desktop and laptop are Dell machines. The Desktop is a Dell Dimension 8400. CPU x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 Genuine Intel 3391 MHZ I do not know the motherboard manufacturer.

Operating system is XP Professional, SP2, build 2600.

The web site for Dell is www.dell.com.

The laptop is a Dell XPS M140. Operating system is XP Professional SP2.

The dongle is a Kensington Bluetooth, Model 33348.

Here is a synopsis of the tech support call with Kensington:

I uninstalled and reinstalled the software three times. The first two were from the CD which accompanied the hardware. The third time was from an FTP download from the Kensington web site. Each time I received an error message during software installation stating that “The data is invalid”. After the third time, the tech support agent indicated that the package should be returned as the hardware was most likely defective. The second package produced the same results. The tech experience was more frustrating than helpful.

I then started to do some research on my own. I discovered that the error message quoted above may be the result of insufficient permissions for the device in the registry. I located the correct entry in the registry, and authorized full control for that device. After this step, the software installation completed successfully.

Now I am at the point described above. The software is installed. The drivers are installed. The Device Manager indicates the adapter is working correctly. However, the system tray icon is still red and blue and the right-click on that icon returns the message “Bluetooth device not found”

Let me know if there are additional questions I need to answer.

Thanks for your help!

JSZ

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-St Patrick’s Day-2007

. . . .installed just fine, and works just fine, on my laptop.

Then it is the desktop that you have trouble with – Please verify

Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so I can analyze your motherboard CPU Temperature support and install on Desktop/problem PC. This will save me asking questions-

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 4 [REPORTS] – Need to [Create] & [Save] – 4 Separate [Reports] – as HTML Documents by using Quick Report Summary – Mode – Save these in a Folder – that you can find - & Attach all 4 to your next Post –

Do not use Text Format – Nor do you want to embed these [Reports] in your Post – Only use [Attachment] Mode – These [Reports] – are Too Long – to place in Post as text – The Forum will truncate – the [Reports] + The Report can be >20 pages –

Complete the Following 2 Procedures – [How to Make Everest HTML Reports] & [How to Attach Files to your Post]

PROCEDURE –1-[How to Make – Everest HTML Reports] –

Report-1: [JSZ)-CPU]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [COMPUTER] Folder to Highlight
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On Pop Up/Down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [JSZ -CPU] & attach to POST – See attachment instructions

Report –2: [JSZ -Mobo]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder –[Main Folder] to Highlight
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [JSZ -Mobo] & attach to POST See attachment instructions

Report –3 : [JSZ -Devices]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder to Highlight
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [JSZ -Devices] & attach to Post See attachment instructions

Report-4: [JSZ -SENSOR]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SENSOR] Folder to Highlight
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On Pop Up/Down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-SENSOR] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [JSZ -Sensor] & attach to POST See attachment instructions

PROCEDURE-2 [How to Add Attachment to Post]

1- Click On [Add a Reply]
2- Scroll down to bottom of [Reply Window] to [File Attachments]
3- Click [Browse] and then locate the [Everest Report Files] – That you saved on your PC – you will have to repeat this 4 times – [1 for each report]
4- Click on file – and open - it should now appear in [File Attachment] Window
5- Click on [UPLOAD] Button
6-Wait until it is added in [Manage Attachment] – Window above
7- Right Click [Manage Attachment] Button – Click on [Add Attach File] Drop down Icon – (has green spot)
8- Repeat Steps [3 thru 7] to add the other attachments to attach to Post – Otherwise skip & Go to step 9
9- You should be able to view all the attachments in your post - Click [Add Reply] Button to send Post

Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
OK, here we go.

All four are attached to this reply.

Again, I sure appreciate this. I am very interested to watch this process unfold.

JSZ

Attached Files

Edited by JSZ, 17 March 2007 - 02:32 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-18th MAR-2007

I have 3 ideas – You may have done 1 or 2 or all already ??

(1) -

On the desktop, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software that comes with the adapter. I have obtained the newest versions of the Widcomm drivers and software (v5.something).

After the third time, the tech support agent indicated that the package should be returned as the hardware was most likely defective

Each time I received an error message during software installation stating that “The data is invalid”

It appears that Device Manager is happy with the driver you have installed, but PnP did not assign any PC resources to the device??

Did you observe any PnP activity? Did WINXP popup & say New Hardware Found & say Installed successfully? Looks as if Device Manager installed a driver that it was happy with – but PnP did not assign any PC resources??

The Widcomm drivers are not compatible with the WINXP drivers – I think that error message is referring to the USB Vendor id & the Product id for Bluetooth dongle – data being in error - which is encoded in the bth driver inf file. You need to be installing a MS driver found in Service Pack 2

1. Open Device Manager
2. Locate the USB Bluetooth Device & Open
3. Select Driver Properties Page
4. Select Details TAB

It should contain details about the driver – and should have some data referring to a bth.inf file that should have wording containing – Kensington USB Bluetooth Adapter= BthUsb, USB\Vid_0db0&Pid_697a –

USB\Vid_0db0 is Vendor ID for Micro star International
&Pid_697a is Product for a Bluetooth device – but I am sure if it is for Bluetooth Model 33348 or not

You need to be using a MS USB Driver that should be inherent to Service Pack 2

Sounds as if you found/located a better driver than what was on CD – but may be for a different model -??
Looks like you did a scan for the proper driver –If it was there – it should have found it –

(2) –
Maybe look on Laptop - & Locate what driver it has installed – Maybe copy it from laptop and place in WIN sys32 XXX folder & install via Device Manager -

I think you did all this – but maybe you missed something?? I don’t know – But I would checkout the laptop driver file -

(3) –
If that is OK – Then maybe USB Port is wrong – Are you using a front USB Port? They usually are considered as – Low Power – and may not be able to turn on the device – High Inrush current – Try a rear Port.

Do you have other USB Devices connected – Your Total USB Power may only be 2 Amps – It may be overloading – Try removing 1 0f the USB Devices – and try connecting the dongle

Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
OK, two quick updates.

1. I moved the dongle to one of the rear usb ports. Now the internal LED (internal to the dongle, that is...) remains illuminated. That is a change from the front usp port.

2. I am doing some comparisons between the laptop and the desktop, and notice one large difference. The laptop has another usb Bluetooth device installed: the Bluetooth Bus Enumerator. On the laptop, this device remains installed no matter if the dongle is connected or not. It is NOT installed on the desktop, with or without the dongle conntected.

Driver files for the dongle are the Widcomm set in both the laptop device manager and the desktop device manager.

Thoughts?

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Additional info:

The driver for this device is system32/drivers/btwusb.sys. I can't find reference to bth.inf in the driver description information.

The Vid for this product is not the same as you describe. In my registry this decive is found under Vid 047d&Pid_105e.

I hope that this information is helpful solving the problem.

Thanks again.

JSZ

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-19th MAR-2007

(1)

I am doing some comparisons between the laptop and the desktop, and notice one large difference. The laptop has another usb Bluetooth device installed: the Bluetooth Bus Enumerator.

Ok this is the element that you were not able to install – This is essentially how – Device Manager – is controlling the – network devices – you want to connect to the USB Ports – It is making the Port that the Bluetooth is connected the – Polling Hub – So as you setup the Bluetooth’s network – Device Manager – will place/designate the device as – Network Device – when connected to a USB Port.

This is the communication path – It is making/identifying the – Dongle Port – as the – upstream Port – of the USB Network, and making/identifying the USB Port that has a – Predetermined Network Device attached – as the – downstream Port. This is accomplished thru the – bthusb.sys Driver and the – bthusbXX.inf – file that contains the correct Vendor Identification & Product Identification –

Another way to look at this – Device Manager – has added – Network Polling Duties – to the Root Hub that the Dongle is connected to. This is how – the USB Devices – are differentiated – between Local and Network.

Now this is what failed in the Desktop PC – The root hub failed to – enumerate the Dongle Port – for PnP to install – It apparently enumerated the dongle for – Device Manager – but somehow PnP did not have the proper driver to install in the Control Panel –

This is the process that we are trying to correct.

(2)

I moved the dongle to one of the rear usb ports. Now the internal LED (internal to the dongle, that is...) remains illuminated. That is a change from the front usp port

Ok that is supporting my theory that USB is being overloaded –

Originally on the Desktop PC, there were 2 – 4 USB Ports, so overloading was not easily obtained. Now there are 6 – 10 USB Ports, and the USB Power has not significantly increased accordingly. You now have twice the amount of USB Ports available, but do not have sufficient USB Power to support all, without the employment of, self powered USB hubs to lessen the USB Power drawn off the PCI Bus.

Now is this internal Dongle LED, a steady red, indicating – Not connected? See if you remove 1 or 2 of the USB Devices that can be disconnected/not required. Then reconnect the USB Dongle to see if PnP is now able to install. Let me know – how this works out. (Disconnect as many USB Devices as required)

I need to know all USB Devices that you have connected & which ones you intend to connect. And if you have any USB external drives that you intend to use as a backup drive. I can give you a preferred connection scheme.

–

In my registry this decive is found under Vid 047d&Pid_105e.

That is correct – I did a cut & paste of the info that I gave – and I did that wrong – You have the correct IDs for the dongle - Sometimes, my fingers are not as agile as required. - Sorry -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 March 2007 - 12:00 PM.

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Updates...

I unplugged every USB device EXCEPT the Bluetooth adapter and my wireless mouse//keyboard. I can leave things this way during our troubleshooting process. No USB HDDs in this configuration, and none planned for in the near future.

When I plugged the Bluetooth adapter back in, I obviously picked a different rear port than the one it was originally installed in. The "Found New Hardware" wizard started up, and I let it go through the steps automatically.

It completed successfully, and ended with the message that the hardware was installed and is ready to use. However, the bus enumerator is still not present in device manager, and the bluetooth icon in the system tray is still red and blue. Additionally, I am back to the situation where the dongle’s internal LED does not illuminate unless I do a “Scan for Hardware Changes” in device manager. Incidentally, this LED is blue, not red, and it illuminates blue at all times when connected to the laptop.

There is still no bluetooth device found.

Wish I had better news to report.

JSZ

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-19th MAR-2007

There is still no bluetooth device found.

Wish I had better news to report.

That is Ok – Run Everest again and generate a new – Device Report – with name –JSZ-Device-2 – I am interested to see the version of the bthusb.sys Driver -

You can go to device manager and see what driver & version is in each of your – USB Root Hubs Properties page & under Driver TAB & Details and what driver & version is listed under the Bluetooth USB Folder – under driver TAB & Details –

I am interested in what Device Manager shows & what Everest Device Report is showing .

Looks as if you may have 6 USB Ports –

Thanks -
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 March 2007 - 05:30 PM.

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Updates 19Mar06 PM

1. EVEREST Report attached.

2. Drivers for the five USB Root Hubs, as listed in Device Manager:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbd.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys

3. Driver for the Bluetooth USB is C:\Windows\system32\drivers\btwusb.sys, 5.0.1.1400, a Broadcom Corporation product.

JSZ

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-20th MAR-2007

I need another installation try again – Usually these USB problems are fixed by doing a different device connection variation -

[1] - This time -

1. Shut down the PC
2. Connect the Dongle to a rear port – while PC is Off
3. Now boot up PC

Now observe Display & Dongle while PC is booting up

1. Display should start in DOS
2. Show Memory Test & continue
3. Show BIOS Settings & continue
4. Windows should start – Display shows the – Black & White Status Bar at bottom of screen
5. Then the Windows Starts with the – Blue & white status bar
6. When the status gets to the Ύ % Mark – Observe the following

Sort of in this order – Your devices will go thru an – Enumeration Process

1. Keyboard LEDs will flash & go out
2. If you have an Optical Mouse – the LED will come ON
3. USB Devices will toggle – This should include the dongle – **this action is what I want reported** – did the led flash briefly – This is where the dongle gets recognized initially
4. Then the Status bar should continue – to 100%
5. Now the display should show the Blue Windows Startup Screen & continue
6. Desktop should now appear
7. Hopefully new hardware found should appear – It should have flashed in there earlier – and again with this screen –

Now when windows is up & running – check status of dongle led –
Did you get a good installation ??

If not try disconnecting the dongle & reconnecting - Did Found new hardware start again?? and how was this installation
Now when windows is up & running – check status of dongle led –

Do the following, if installation still fails -

Now open Device Manager

1. Expand all USB Folders
2. Open USB Root HUB Folder –
3. Driver Tab
4. Driver Details – Highlight the – usbd.sys – driver
5. See if you can uninstall that driver – It will reinstall itself – if needed on the next system start –
6. Unplug the dongle & reconnect – Device Manager should do a refresh – the screen should blink and settle down upon reconnect – see if you get a good install this time
7. if not – disconnect & reconnect dongle to another USB Port – till you match the port with the data driver was uninstalled.

What I am thinking – is that the data driver is spewing out data & the dongle is reading a stop command during its installation process?? -

If this did not work then . . .see how the following plays out

[2] This is the driver that Everest is shown – it appears to be what you have shown in Device Manager -

Device Properties:
Driver Description Kensington Bluetooth EDR Dongle
Driver Date 1/5/2006
Driver Version 5.0.1.1400
Driver Provider WIDCOMM
INF File oem72.inf Hardware ID USB\Vid_047d&Pid_105e&Rev_0000
Location Information Bluetooth EDR Dongle

I found a newer version on Kensington Bluetooth Website – Version 5.1.0.1700 -
http://us.kensington.../html/1492.html

See below for details – and instructions – I don’t know if this will give better results or not -

Kensington Bluetooth USB Adapter 2.0 (Rev. 5.1.0.1700)
Requirements:
Windows XP, Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (recommended)
Description:
This is a new version of the software driver of the Kensington Bluetooth USB Adapter 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate (33348).

Instructions:
The driver is available at the web site: http://update.broadc...itialupdate.exe.
Click on the link then follow the instructions.

The application will automatically uninstall the previous version of the driver and install the new driver.

A reboot of the machine could be required to complete the driver upgrade. Close all the open applications saving your data before proceeding to the installation of the new driver.

Notes:
› The new SW driver 5.1.0.1700 provides:

Improved performance and stability from previous driver version 4.0.1.2400.
Improved Hands Free Profile for a better support of VoIP applications using Bluetooth mono or stereo headsets

I do not know if this is valid or not, but it is from Kensington for WINXP?? - **Note** You may have to Update to the new driver in Device Manager using the Driver Update Tab -

I have other ideas to do if neither of these worked out – Can you install Everest in the Laptop, and then run a Device Report & attach in next post – I want to verify some data – then I may ask you to collect some Laptop data from Device Manager – after I look at the Device Report – How many USB Ports do you have on the Laaptop??

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 20 March 2007 - 05:51 AM.

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Greetings, Jack;

I have completed some, but not all, of your previous instructions. I wanted to post results here for your review.

1. As I mentioned, I have disconnected all USB devices other than the dongle and the wireless keyboard/mouse.

2. The dongle is plugged into a rear port via a USB extension cable, which has been used with numerous other devices in the past, and functions reliably. It is the only way I can observe dongle LED activity on bootup.

3. The LED sequence is as follows during a power-off startup:

a. LED illuminates shortly after power on.
b. LED remains illuminated throughout the boot sequence, even when the indicator light on the wireless keyboard/ mouse receiver go off.
c. LED on the wireless receiver for the keyboard/mouse illuminates at power on, then goes off for a measurable length of time. It flashes on and off once about 3/4 through the Windows startup, and then remains illuminated through the rest of Windows startup.
d. The blue dongle LED goes off just before the Windows logon screen appears, and it remains off..

4. I can tell which port the dongle is plugged into by reviewing the Power tab under the USB Root Hub properties in Device Manager. I uninstalled the Hub Driver, for that port, and had to manually reinstall after bootup. No change to the operation. I should note that merely clicking the power tab turns the dongle on.

5. Just for kicks I downloaded and installed the updated driver from Kensington that you located. No change.

I thought I would stop here and let you digest this information. If you want I can still run EVEREST on the laptop and send you that report. Please advise.

Thanks.

JSZ

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-21st MAR-2007

2. The dongle is plugged into a rear port via a USB extension cable, which has been used with numerous other devices in the past, and functions reliably. It is the only way I can observe dongle LED activity on bootup

Yes I hear you – But this is not like – numerous other devices – USB Org does not certify these cables – They may determine these as – under development –

Post back the cable information -

1. Manufacturer
2. Model Number
3. Length of cable
4. List of –numerous other devices does this include a USB camera??
5. Was this PC used with these – numerous other devices
6. Does this cable require a –USB driver
7. Does this cable have – a larger round molded cylinder about 1 ½ -inches long at either/both end of this cable

If you need to extend your USB Ports, use a – Self Powered USB 2.0 HUB with an External Power Pack – The keywords here are – External Power Pack – and – Self Powered –

Have you installed the – Bluetooth Software – successfully – This has to be installed 1st – before connecting the Dongle –

The LED sequence that you listed – is just showing initial Power up sequence – which is when – Device Manager – has started initial poll/enumeration via the USB Root Hub using the USB Class Type Driver – usbhub.sys – and Device Manager has the Dongle listed as USB Device. Now PnP has installed the – Client Driver bthusb.sys – of course we do not know for sure, if the correct one is installed –

Device Manager has not assigned any PC Resources to the Dongle, so no communication can be accomplished without the PC Resources. But if the Bluetooth Software is not installed properly – There is nothing to communicate to/with??

Adding in the Wireless Keyboard & Mouse is also adding to the complexity of PC Communication – Now adding in the additional delay with the use of an extension cable with its added capacitance and/or inductance can cause havoc with the communication sequence.

I am going to give you a routine to install with Device Manager, so we can look deeper into Device Manager’s past/history –

But, 1st just connect the Dongle – Directly – to a Rear Port – Then Power PC up – and see if you get a good install now -?? Send a new Everest Device-3 report after connecting the Dongle directly –

I will give you the routine – in the next post –

Jack123