Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Got the BlueTooth Blues

• Please log in to reply

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
With respect to the USB extension cable, here is what I can tell you:

The cable is about 6 feet long.
I do not know the manufacturer, nor the model number.
There is no hub on either end, and it is not powered.
It does not require a driver.
I have used it successfully with every other USB device I own, including a camera, an MP3 player and a Garmin GPS. Never has caused a problem.

I shut down the computer, reconnected the dongle directly to the same port as the extension cord, with identical results. Bluetooth device still not found.

I have attached Devices-3 to this post for your review.

Thank you for your continued help on this issue!!!

JSZ

Attached Files

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
08-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-21st MAR-2007

Ok – I missed this before in the report – You have the Bluetooth Client Driver – listed under Non Plug n Play Drivers – Now that is what I have been saying – Everything looks good up until – PnP comes into play – It goes thru the motions, but ends up with Plug & Pray??

This is also stating what one of the FAQ was saying – Will have to read that more carefully –

In the meantime – Go ahead and do an Everest Device Report on the Laptop - & call it the JSZ Laptop-Device
Report – Just want to see what – Correct Driver – is called??

Might just have to disguise its name?? Might have to do something with Network File folders or adjust a Window’s services – It is related to Windows-XP 3rd party compatibility. May be that we need to alter the inf file for this driver??

Have to figure what you did with the Laptop – then just do the same with the Desktop – so send the report

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 21 March 2007 - 03:39 PM.

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
OK, here we go.

When I did my research on this subject, I seem to recall at least one post where the .inf file was modified. I can't recall where I read that, but it seems the technique worked. I haven't gone this far on my own, though.

Report attached.

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
09-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-21st MAR-2007

I need the Version of your (Desktop) - btw software – Usually under Windows Programs – Look in – Help Menu – and find – About [Program Name] – usually will reveal version.

Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I cannot open the software on the desktop..."My Bluetooth Places" is the desktop icon, and it wants to have a device. However, here is what I know:

I started with the installation disk that came with the dongle. That is the software that is on the laptop. It is version 4.01.2400, and works fine on the laptop. Since it has found a device in the past, it opens on the laptop even without the dongle connected.

This is the same software I have attempted (over and over, as you know) to install on the desktop. What is installed right now is the updated version which I obtained through the link you sent me in an earlier post. Neither version has ever run on the desktop, but the installation process indicates a successful and completed installation.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
10-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-21st MAR-2007

I need you to do a File Search on both the Laptop & Desktop for – *usb.sys and for *usb.inf Files -
to see what drivers are available -

Search Desktop & Laptop for this USB Driver files – *usb*.sys – and *usb*.inf files – Then take full screen print & place clipboard image in Photo Program to edit – crop –size – the image as – jpeg file to upload and attach to post – (4 attached image files)

[Search Procedure]

(1) – Click Start Button
(2) – Highlight Search Option on Menu
(3) – Open – For files or folders
(4) – Type – *usb*.sys – in the [search for files or folders named] Window
(5) – Set to Look in – C Drive
(6) – Check Advance Options Block
(7) – Check – Search Sub Folders – Option Block
(8) – Click – Search Now Tab to begin Search
(9) – Now maximize the result screen for full size
(10) Adjust the view area – so that only the file name is viewed/presented – (As best as possible) refer to reference photo -
(11) Click empty spot on screen to eliminate highlighted cursors
(12) Hide mouse cursor from screen view
(13) Do an – ALT – plus – Print Screen – place on clipboard –
(14) Now Open your Photo Program to edit – size – crop – a pasted image
(15) Open New Page – Paste clipboard image on page
(16) crop & edit so only file name is shown
(17) save as jpeg file – with name – JSZ PC usb search
(18) Repeat search using – *usb.inf* – save as – [b]JSZ PC inf.jpeg[b] File

Repeat process for Laptop files – 01_PC_usb_Search.jpg

Four questions –

(1) When you installed Dongle on Laptop – what all was connected to the USB Ports – at time of installation.
(2) What was connected to Desktop USB Ports – at time of installation?

(3) Where is Wireless receiver for Desktop Mouse & Desktop Keyboard connected?? to a USB Port??

(4) It appears that the installation process is installing a USB BUS Enumerator – and it is trying to capture/setup all USB Ports as Bluetooth Devices?? And the installation process is aborted when it encounters an occupied USB Port?? Are the USB Ports on the Laptop active/functional when dongle is disconnected?
Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Files are attached to this post for the desktop. I will attach laptop to the next post. There are more than one each for the posts, because I couldn't get them all onto one screen.

The answers to the questions are:

(1) When you installed Dongle on Laptop – what all was connected to the USB Ports – at time of installation.
ANS: Nothing else, as far as I recall.

(2) What was connected to Desktop USB Ports – at time of installation?
ANS: Keyboard/mouse reciever, Sandisk USM card reader without the card, Flight Sim control yoke and pedals.

(3) Where is Wireless receiver for Desktop Mouse & Desktop Keyboard connected?? to a USB Port??
ANS: Yes.

(4) It appears that the installation process is installing a USB BUS Enumerator – and it is trying to capture/setup all USB Ports as Bluetooth Devices?? And the installation process is aborted when it encounters an occupied USB Port?? Are the USB Ports on the Laptop active/functional when dongle is disconnected?
ANS: Yes, they work fine. To confirm this I connected a second wireless mouse/keyboard reciever to the laptop, and they work just fine. These WERE NOT connected during the installation.

Attached Thumbnails

• Desktop_USB1.jpg
  • Desktop_USB2.jpg
  • Desktop_USBinf1.jpg
  • Desktop_USBinf2.jpg

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Images from Laptop:

Attached Thumbnails

• Laptop_USBsys1.jpg
  • Laptop_USBsys2.jpg
  • Laptop_USBsys3.jpg
  • Laptop_USBsys4.jpg
  • Laptop_USBinf1.jpg
  • Laptop_USBinf2.jpg

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
11-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-23rd MAR-2007

Ok- I will continue researching on the Driver issue on the sidelines – Meanwhile I will get back to my original Plan on this issue – Here is the – Device Manager Routine – I will give instructions on its use/purpose later -

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – [1 time process]

(1) – Right Click MY COMPUTER > Select PROPERTIES on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Open PROPERTIES Page
(3) – Click ADVANCED Tab – (on System Properties)
(4) – Click ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES Tab -
(5) – Under SYSTEM VARIABLES Section – Click NEW Tab –
(6) – In NAME Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(7) – In VALUE Section – Type the number 1
(8) – Close out by Clicking OK Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(9) – Click on START Button > Then click on RUN –
(10) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click OK – This will open DEVICE MANAGER
(11)– Click VIEW on Menu > Click Show Hidden Devices on Pop Down Menu –
(12) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(13) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click MY COMPUTER
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to Properties > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on HARDWARE Tab
(4) – Click on Device Manager Tab – This will open Device Manager
(5) – Click on View on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on Show Hidden Devices]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded grayish print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Devices] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

You now have the ability to see/view recent history of Device Manager – You have attempted several Bluetooth Installation procedures – I just want to see how much Device Manager actually completed – What I need you to do –

1. Expand all the Folders – including non Plug & Play
2. Find all the – Bluetooth Entries – Both – Present – Darker Print and – Non Present indicated with the lighter gray print –
3. I am also interested in all – Wireless Network Items – Drivers
4. Adjust the entries for best resolution & take screen shots (A picture is worth 1K words)
5. Edit – Crop – Size / for Uploading
6. Combine if you can then Upload & attach with details

I am interested in all information regarding Bluetooth –

1. Yellow Question Marks
2. Yellow Exclamation Points
3. All Driver Details – I want to see – versions – dates – names – size - file type/extension – (sys) – (dll) – (inf) –
4. All PC Resource information – [IRQ] – [Mem]

I also want all the data on the – USB Root Hub – (ALL of them)

1. I need info on – USB Devices connected to each of these Ports Such as – Card Reader – HID – Wireless – Drives – especially the – Dongle – Do Refresh as required -
2. Driver info
3. Power – Ports available – Used – Current
4. You may have to connect Ports – do Refresh as required – disconnect Ports – whatever
5. I need an intimate relationship with Device Manager & USB –
6. You need to try/experiment and coordinate Screen shots & Refresh & whatever
7. This will also give you better understanding of – USB –

There are a lot of Factors that have impact on the USB devices – IRQ assignments – IRQ sharing – MEM Location – Current Load – Port Location/connection of devices – BUS Bandwidth – The only problem is that we can only see the results – after the fact – This is the same as taking an X-ray – or an EKG ?? I have a lot of questions – This is the easiest way to seek answers –

One additional item – Just want to see how far the installation went -

1. Open Control Panel
2. Open Network Connections
3. Right Click – Wireless Network Connection & select Properties
4. Click the Wireless Networks Tab
5. Give me a screen shot of this Play with this a little bit – and give me what you think I would be interested in -

Eventually we will clean up the clutter – and try to uninstall – the main Bluetooth program/software – and try to do a – Fresh Install – after gaining additional knowledge -

You do not have to do all of the requests in 1 Post - You can split as required - It is Your discretion

Still interested – in this – Old Dutch Coal Miner’s help -??
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 March 2007 - 08:21 AM.

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey Guys,
Looks like you are having quite a bit of fun with this one....
I had similar problems setting up my bluetooth on my desktop a couple of years ago. Firstly it was my firewall that was blocking the program from installing correctly secondly, when the status was "not connected" i needed to go into the folder where my Bluetooth was installed (C:/Program Files/etc... and manually start the service which would find the device by clicking on one of the .exe's in there... I cant remember the file name but it worked.

Hope i have been of some help...

Will.

Advertisements

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
First off, yes, I ant to solve this problem. So I thank you again for your assistance. I get pretty stubborn with issues of this nature, and I'm quite curious to see the eventual resolution.

I have attached a bunch of screenshots for your review, with a few more to follow in the next post. I was not selective - this is the entire device manager tab, one screen at a time. After you look through this you can determine where you want to see more detail and I will provide.

Also attached is the Network screen. You'll notice that there is no Wireless Network present.

Let me know what you want to see additional details on.

Thanks.

JSZ

Attached Thumbnails

• Initial_View_Before_Restart.jpg
  • Network_Connections.jpg
  • View_1_After_Restart___Thro.jpg
  • View_2_After_Restart.jpg
  • View_3_After_Restart.jpg
  • View_4_After_Restart.jpg
  • View_5_After_Restart.jpg
  • View_6_After_Restart.jpg
  • View_8_After_Restart.jpg
  • View_9_After_Restart.jpg

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
OK, these are the last two from the initial batch. I will send additional details as you request them.

JSZ

Attached Thumbnails

• View_7_After_Restart.jpg
  • View_10_After_Restart___USB.jpg

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
12-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-23rd MAR-2007

Thanks wf4 –

it was my firewall that was blocking the program from installing correctly secondly,

The Fire wall & Antivirus programs are both items to obey the standard message – Quit all Windows Programs that are currently running, before installation

If the Antivirus decides to scan the driver while it is being installed – it can be corrupted and fail –

when the status was "not connected" i needed to go into the folder where my Bluetooth was installed (C:/Program Files/etc... and manually start the service which would find the device by clicking on one of the .exe's

Yeah – I considered that also – but got tied up in another direction – but I can have a look at that now – I have JSZ trained on screen shots – so I will give instructions for – Services

JSZ – give me some screen shots of Services Folder –

1. Click on Start
2. Move cursor to RUN – Click on RUN
3. Type – services.msc –
4. Click OK
5. A list of services should be displayed
6. make screen shots & post – (Probably will take 3-4 shots)

I will have to review for WINXP – I run WIN2K – Professional – I am not sure what XP names are for sure – most will be the same but there usually are some changes –

Don’t make any changes – there is a proper way to make changes without causing damage – Do this wrong and you may not be able to restart –

Looking at the pics that you gave on Device Manager – Looks like the dang thing is there – just decided to abort for some reason – Am interested in the Unknown and Other Devices – Need to Expand & Open Properties Page -
I have a lot to review – Pretty good resolution on images –

Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Jack:

Here are the screenshots for the Services folder.

Let me know what tab(s) you want to see from the Device Manager/Other Devices listing and I will get them off to you.

JSZ

Attached Thumbnails

• Services_1.jpg
  • Services_2.jpg
  • Services_3.jpg
  • Services_4.jpg

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
13-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-24th MAR-2007

Ok – I have been looking over the data that you have given me, and I have pretty much concluded that it may be more than a – USB Problem –

It appears that part of the Network Adapter is indeed installed, but the final network connection is being blocked either by your Firewall – Or is in conflict with your Dell Wireless Input – Or both.

The Final Enumeration Process appears to be aborted or blocked that is preventing the final installation of the Bluetooth Network Adapter by WINXP Plug & Play –

Appears from the data that you have Norton Internet Security – Yow can disable – Internet Security – and then connect the Bluetooth Adapter to a USB Port – Hopefully it completes the installation –

****Reconnect the Internet Security after the installation attempt**** – If this works – Then you will have to reconfigure your Firewall settings -

Networking is not my strong suit – I can muddle my way thru – but not lead someone else thru – which is not giving you the best help available –

Here is an information link – provided by one of our – Geeks to Go – Staff Members.

Home Networking . . . .
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=102163

Also here are some links on – Geeks to Go – with related network issues – Mostly found in – Networking Forum -
http://www.geekstogo...uetooth Adapter

I am not sure why the Laptop installed the Adapter. Maybe you have a more understanding Firewall installed in the Laptop. Or maybe it may be the fact that you appear to have a Bluetooth LAN Network installed in Laptop. And that may be the reason for the adapter still appearing when not connected. It is the LAN Network that is present?? Dell took ownership of the adapter??

Dell is a proprietary Manufacturer – and they do things different than standard?? And really do not give a lot of information. This is just another thought. Mainly dealing about the Wireless Mouse & Keyboard possible interference issue –

Hopefully the Firewall is the problem – In the meantime, I will continue to look for info – concerning your network issues.

The main reason why I am dismissing USB problem is that you have the Intel USB Controller Chipset. I have not seen a lot of problems with this chipset – Now the Non Present View of Device Manager does show some USB Driver problem, but I think that is a result – not a cause – of a USB Issue -

Let me know how you make out – I will try & find a – Network Tech Staff Member – to guide you thru the Network setup – Read thru the links shown above – 1st - Post back your findings -
Jack123