Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I Got the BlueTooth Blues

• Please log in to reply

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Evening, Jack;

I did the following things today:

1. Uninstalled the BT software.
2. Completely disabled Norton Antivirus and Firewall.
3. Disconnected the USB adapter.
4. Rebooted.
5. Reinstalled the software with NAV and NF disabled.
6. Bottom line: no joy. Still not operating.

I have a little wireless network here between my DSL gateway and the laptop. The desktop and laptop can and do share files through the gateway. That part of the hardware functions just fine and doesn't depend at all on the bluetooth adapter.

For the record, I have the same Norton suite installed on the laptop, and I didn't disable it during BT installation. Interesting that that installation went off so easily!

So I'm still scratching my head. You've been great, and I appreciate all the time you have spent with me. I would still like to get to the bottom of this issue - now it has become sort of a challenge - man vs. machine, and all that.

If you know of another tech that might be interested in this challenge, I would appreciate it if you could pass along a word or two.

Thanks again, Jack!

JSZ

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
14-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-25th MAR-2007

I reviewed your Laptop Driver files that you posted for me – I have discovered the – bthusb – file that appears to be the – M$ verified version – Driver?? This is for the Bluetooth Bus Enumerator – which only shows up in the Laptop.

This appears to be the – Show Stopper – in the Desktop??

Do the search on Desktop to see if it exists -

1. Click Start Button – Scroll to – Search
2. Click on – For Files or folders
3. Type in – bt*usb* – in the – Search for files or folders named – Window
4. Set Look in – to C Drive
5. Check – Advanced Options
6. Check – Search Subfolders
7. Click – Start Search

This is the 2nd M$ verified Bluetooth driver that is required – this is the – Bus Enumerator Driver – that you need for the final installation process hat seems to be missing - ?? The bthusb file showed up under the Laptop several places/times – I could not distinguish between – inf or sys files, since the file extension was not shown -

This file only showed up once in the Desktop – as BTHUSB – with no extension. Now I do not know if there is a significant difference between upper & lower case letters in identifying driver files. but if an – inf file and a – sys – file are required then there should have been at least 2 entries – I suspect this is the case, since a VID & PID hex coded numbers are required which are given in the inf file.

Do the same search on Laptop & find what bthusb files are shown. Then copy into the Desktop Driver folder as required.

Also use the same driver version that the laptop is using – I may have gotten the version mixed for you?? The laptop seems to have a 4.0.1.2400 version?? And the desktop originally had, some 4.0.1?? – and 5.0.1.1400 – then I gave you a 5.1.0.1700?? –

Anyways the Laptop appears to have 2 btwusb files & 2 bthusbfiles – probably both have sys and inf file extensions. And I believe the Desktop is missing one of the bthusb files- It is your job to discover which one – either the inf or the sys extension - and copy it to the Desktop –

Good luck
Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
"...As always, should you or any of your .INF team be caught or captured, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

This tape will self-destruct in 30 seconds."

You may be on to something here.

I will get back to you.

JSZ

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Important news first: still no joy.

I copied the missing file from the laptop to the desktop, and was searching for the folder it's supposed to live in. Noticed that this folder was compressed, so I unzipped it and placed the file copy there.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the software. I know this sounds goofy, but the software installation package indicated a successful installation even though I got an error message indicating that the Windows installer was terminating. I have not seen that previously. For the record, I am sticking with the software that came with the hardware, and which is running successfully on the laptop.

It seems to me that at least part of the problem is that the dongle is powering down just as Windows starts up. The LED remains illuminated all through bootup, and then goes off immediately before the Windows logon screen appears. Doing a "Scan for Hardware Changes" will turn the dongle back on, but it's still not being recognized by the system.

Wish I had better news to report.

JSZ

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
15-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-26th MAR-2007

I copied the missing file from the laptop to the desktop, and was searching for the folder it's supposed to live in. Noticed that this folder was compressed, so I unzipped it and placed the file copy there.

Ok what was the missing file – bth.sys – or – bth.inf ??

Do a search on the Laptop to see if the file really did get copied into the correct folder. I need to know what really got accomplished – not what you thought –

For the record, I am sticking with the software that came with the hardware, and which is running successfully on the laptop.

That is what I wanted you to do – This will keep the variables down. Kind of starting over again –

Uninstalled and reinstalled the software.

That was good to do – New baseline established – Now the Dongle was not connected while you installed the Bluetooth Program. Is that correct?

I know this sounds goofy, but the software installation package indicated a successful installation even though I got an error message indicating that the Windows installer was terminating.

Nothing is silly – Just need to interpret/translate the message -

It seems to me that at least part of the problem is that the dongle is powering down just as Windows starts up. The LED remains illuminated all through bootup, and then goes off immediately before the Windows logon screen appears.

That was what was concluded before. We may be better off than what you think – Lets try this way again to connect the dongle –

1. Leave Dongle disconnected and free as many rear ports as you can
2. Power Up Desktop
3. Let Windows install & settle down
4. After Windows is up and running
5. Connect Dongle to Rear Port The initial connection sometimes works better at boot up – And sometimes it is better to make initial connection after Windows is up & running – Its a crap shoot –
6. Dongle should illuminated in Powered State
7. Remain on while in Detection State
8. The USB Port is informing the USB Host of new Device
9. Now USB Host is reporting to Device Manager the new device
10. Device Manager tells Control Panel PnP of new device
11. PnP has to locate the USB driver that the Port & USB Host has installed –
12. Now the Device Manager - USB Host assigns PC Resources to the USB Port – to communicate to the – Dongle so now a communication link is established with information being supplied by the drivers
13. New Device Notification pops up
14. Communication should begin – Dongle should be blinking – changing colors or whatever/however it indicates communication – At first the resources are assigned – Interrupts – endpoints – resets – status requests – plus whatever
15. If the correct driver is installed & PnP has located it properly then more activity can be seen –
16. This is where the failure occurs – Before the driver was there but the descriptive details of inf file was missing – so failure occurred
17. We should get past this – and now your new attempt failed – probably because of – Noise – High inrush – or whatever – Hopefully things are more settled now & installation takes place??
18. Now we still may not have the – correct driver match up –
19. Instead of scanning for new hardware – try updating Driver – in Device Manager
20. If it fails again on this try – I would expect Device Manager should have an – Unknown Device or some failure listed – Before there was not any indication –
21. Try it without that 6 ft cable –

You may have to set connections to Auto Detect

1. Click Start
2. Browse to Settings
3. Open Control Panel
4. Open Internet Options
5. Click on Connections Tab
6. Click on LAN Tab
7. Check Set to Automatically detect settings
8. Click OK – twice to close 2 folders
9. Close Control Panel
I do not think that this matters in this case, but networking is not my bag – Also I did check your DHCP Client services was set to Automatic –

It is a matter of having the correct drivers and inf files –and following the correct sequence –
Jack123

EDIT -
PS – Run Everest Device Report again – and attach as J SZ -Device#4- see if I see anything enlightening ??

Edited by Jack123, 26 March 2007 - 12:58 AM.

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey Guys..
What about the startup and services tab on MSCONFIG?
Start> Run> type, msconfig > hit ENTER . select the services tab and check the "hide all microsoft services", you should see your bluetooth service says, stopped and the box unchecked (with a bit of luck). if it is unchecked, check it.
then onto the startup tab, just have a run down the list & see what apps have been disabled at startup, if you can see a required program, check the box to allow it to run on startup.

Restart if you have made any changes.

If you disabled your firewall, windows will by default enable windows firewall, have you checked that bluetooth is on the exception list?

Good luck!

Will.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
16-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-26th MAR-2007

Thanks Will – with all those Certs – I was hoping you would stop in again -

A+ Certified
Network+ Certified
HTML & CSS, Certified
Javascript Certified

I think that is where we are at now – From his description of events in last post – I believe the Bluetooth Adapter did complete the USB Installation Process & was stopped – I think before it was – aborted before completion – ?? – Two Different Conditions

I need to review the new data & interpret it first – before confirmation – but I think this is the next steps -

Hey Guys..
What about the startup and services tab on MSCONFIG?
Start> Run> type, msconfig > hit ENTER . select the services tab and check the "hide all microsoft services", you should see your bluetooth service says, stopped and the box unchecked (with a bit of luck). if it is unchecked, check it.
then onto the startup tab, just have a run down the list & see what apps have been disabled at startup, if you can see a required program, check the box to allow it to run on startup.

Restart if you have made any changes.

If you disabled your firewall, windows will by default enable windows firewall, have you checked that bluetooth is on the exception list?

Thanks again-
Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, All:

I might get to Jack's proecdures sometime tomorrow, but not before then. And after tomorrow I will be taking care of some other matters; I won't be doing any more work on this problem until the end of the week. So if I disappear, I've not given up...and I will get back to it ASAP.

I appreciate everyone's assistance on this matter!

JSZ

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Updates:

Did another uninstall/reinstall of the software, using a rear usb port and no cable.. Noticed that the dongle powered up as soon as I connedcted it, but powered down before the installation was completed.

Searched MSCONFIG - Bluetooth services are listed as running, and checked to start automatically.

Tried Jack's procedure; results the same. Dongle is listed in Device Manager, power is off, and device is not found in the "My Bluettooth Places" icon.

Auto-detect settings is enabled.

Everest report is attached.

Attached Files

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
May seem a stupid question & something which was checked earler in the thread but....
have you alternate clicked on the red icon in your task tray and selected, start the device?

This is a strange problem!

Advertisements

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, WF:

Problem is, the red/blue icon doesn't have that option. A right-click only gives the message "Bluetooth device not found". A double left-click does nothing.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
17-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-28th MAR-2007

Ok – here is a list of services that are disabled on the Desktop that may prevent your Bluetooth from connecting

1. Network DDE
2. Network DDE DSDM
3. Routing & Remote Access
4. Telnet

I have tried to determine which are needed & was not able to make a definite determination. Maybe only needed for initial connection??

You could run Services on Laptop & see which of these services are connected.

1. Click Start
2. Click RUN
3. Type in services.nsc
4. Click OK

Make a list of services that are disabled & compare with the above list – Then start the appropriate services then connect the Bluetooth Dongle

Change status of a service

1. Right Click The service in question
2. Open Properties Page
3. Click Start

Jack123

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Greetings, Jack;

I happen to have quick access to the laptop services. Each of the four services you mention in your last post is also disabled on the laptop. Sorry to be the bearer of continued bad tidings!!!

JSZ

JSZ

JSZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Jack and All:

I am back near the desktop and ready for new suggestions on this tough issue!

Thanks....

JSZ

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
18-JSZ-[Kensington Bluetooth Issue]-3rd April-2007

Took a few days off of this thread to rinse my brain -

Looked all thru Cyberspace for ??? & found this – AAAAAAAAAAgh!
http://www.geekstogo...es-t152057.html

You are not alone -
http://www.tonyspenc...dapter-reviews/
some help
http://www.broadband...ington_usb.html
drivers?
http://members.drive...driverid=442301
drivers??
http://members.drive...driverid=593685
Kensington drivers
ftp://ftp.kensington.com/BT/
more reading 4-pages
http://www.windowsde.../bluetooth.html
For the Dongle part No. 33348 this is the driver…
ftp://ftp.kensington.com/bt/KensingtonBTW%204.0.1.2400.zip
Hey – here is a list of working bluetooths?? see if you locate an user?
http://wiibrew.org/i...uetooth_Devices
Kind of what we were trying – not sure if we got all of them -
http://www.blackberr...h-adapters.html

Need to replace my mouse - Mouse.jpg .

Need to read more articles -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 04 April 2007 - 02:31 PM.